General Chat

Stevo985

That's the American way.  I suppose it protects the establishment from any underagers getting in without at least some door check (obviously fakes get in, but then that's fraud on the individual and not negligence on the establishment).  Ridiculous though I agree.

Some of are probably familiar with Dave Gorman's story about being asked for ID on the door of an American nightclub - so he went (while drunk, natch) and had his driving licence tattooed on his upper arm. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Some of are probably familiar with Dave Gorman's story about being asked for ID on the door of an American nightclub - so he went (while drunk, natch) and had his driving licence tattooed on his upper arm. 

Didn't know that.

Quick Google.
Dave-Gorman-Driving-Licence-Tattoo.jpg

It's hardly legally binding though :lol:

30 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That is ludicrous. You wouldn't get me patronizing such an establishment - not least because I wouldn't have the requisite ID with me ;) but, even if I had, they could sod off.

It is also very much a thin end of the wedge thing.

It is. 

But all these things added together shows that I do need my ID a fair bit. It's not like I carry it around in my wallet and have never in my life had to produce it.

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Out of interest seeing that pic ....Do many of you carry your driving license around with you ?

mine lives in a drawer and only comes out for holidays or if Mr Police officer gives me a producer 

yep, always carry it in my wallet everywhere.

34 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That is ludicrous. You wouldn't get me patronizing such an establishment - not least because I wouldn't have the requisite ID with me ;) but, even if I had, they could sod off.

It is also very much a thin end of the wedge thing.

after a boozy trip to the oval , we tried to get into Woking's finest shit hole and they asked us for ID before they would let us in ( I'm the youngest in our group at 47 !!)

bizarrely one of our mates had his driving license on him so they let us all in on the basis of his ID  .. well , when I say all of us , they then refused him entry because he was too drunk , so we all left and went to Woking's second finest shithole  where a good time was had by all

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It is. 

But all these things added together shows that I do need my ID a fair bit. It's not like I carry it around in my wallet and have never in my life had to produce it.

As I said earlier, my questioning was the product of my curiosity not a criticism of your policy (the original tone notwithstanding). :)

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've also been to a few bars/clubs, especially in london, that require ID to enter. No matter what your age.

Its the same in Solihull/Birmingham.

There are a few places where they scan your ID (driving licence or passport) onto a machine before letting you enter. 

They do it to everyone, irrelevant of age.

Edited by ender4

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Its the same in Solihull/Birmingham.

There are a few places where they scan your ID (driving licence or passport) onto a machine before letting you enter. 

They do it to everyone, irrelevant of age.

Yes, exactly that. it's a bit weird, but I've had it in quite a few places.

It's not just 'a bit weird', though. It's out of order.

Having had a quick look, I remember the story about these kinds of things being enforced on places by licensing authorities from a few years ago.

Most concerning is that people appear to largely not give a toss about this - that's until all of their data has been sold to someone shifty on the net, been hacked and misused, been misused by the company that has taken it off your ID or one its staff, &c. :(

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's not just 'a bit weird', though. It's out of order.

Having had a quick look, I remember the story about these kinds of things being enforced on places by licensing authorities from a few years ago.

Most concerning is that people appear to largely not give a toss about this - that's until all of their data has been sold to someone shifty on the net, been hacked and misused, been misused by the company that has taken it off your ID or one its staff, &c. :(

I understand the concern, and whilst I am more protective about my data than I ever have been, I still have yet to be put in a situation where that data has been used for a particularly more malicious use than for marketing/phishing emails.  

It reminds me of the time in the 90's when my family first got our very first CD-rom PC and my brother told me not to give/use other peoples CDs because they might have viruses loaded onto them :lol: 

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

5th avenue in manchester is ID everyone policy, something to do with a drugs issue and their license we were told (i didnt have mine)

I've been there so that's probably one of said bars I'm recalling.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I understand the concern, and whilst I am more protective about my data than I ever have been, I still have yet to be put in a situation where that data has been used for a particularly more malicious use than for marketing/phishing emails.

I'm not sure how effective it is to view public policy or wider societal issues solely in terms of whether one has actually been a victim of something malicious or something going wrong and, obviously, it runs much deeper than that to 'papers, please'.

18 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Out of interest seeing that pic ....Do many of you carry your driving license around with you ?

mine lives in a drawer and only comes out for holidays or if Mr Police officer gives me a producer 

I only have the paper licence so never carry it with me. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've also been to a few bars/clubs, especially in london, that require ID to enter. No matter what your age.

A lot of clubs in Southeast Asia require photo ID to get in. As I don't have any (bar my passport which i'm not going to carry) then its always a hassle. A 'tip' to the doorman always helps though in those circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You still have an old licence? :o

Pre 98 - still valid and not a legal requirement to have a photocard one. 

It is on the list of things I need to sort out though! 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pre 98 - still valid and not a legal requirement to have a photocard one. 

It is on the list of things I need to sort out though! 

Nah. Stick with the old one. The photocard ones have to be renewed every 10 years (I think it's that).

Edited by snowychap

Â