General Chat

Stevo985

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I know, I should. I'm a wimp though.

He'd never brought a bird in until this week but he's gifted us with 2 in the last few days. I'm dreading him bringing a live one in.

Catch it in the coat... and smack it with the hammer.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I know, I should. I'm a wimp though.

I get people being wimpy about spiders and creepy crawlies, but what's there to be wimpy about with frogs?  There isn't a more placid and harmless animal around.  It actually couldn't hurt you if it tried*.

* and yes I know there are poisonous frogs/toads around the world, but probably not in your back garden.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

I get people being wimpy about spiders and creepy crawlies, but what's there to be wimpy about with frogs?  There isn't a more placid and harmless animal around.  It actually couldn't hurt you if it tried*.

* and yes I know there are poisonous frogs/toads around the world, but probably not in your back garden.

They jump! They could jump at my face and in my mouth. And they're squidgy and slimy, like a slug with legs.

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

They jump! They could jump at my face and in my mouth. And they're squidgy and slimy, like a slug with legs.

If they were I wouldn't touch them, I hate slugs. They are cold, though. 

• Like 1

The trick is to cup one hand just in front of it, and then lower the other from behind and above, to stop it hopping away. They're quite fragile, so handle carefully. Show it to the kids if you have any. 

• Like 1

I seem to recall reading that amphibians shouldn't be handled without gloves ideally, as their skin is very absorbent and they can be severely affected by many things often found on peoples hands.

My dad says when he was a kid he used to shove straws up frogs arses and blow them up. 

I don't think it's true, I don't think it's possible, but I don't really want to google it either.

He also claims he used to tie cotton around flies and take them for...'flies', I guess.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I seem to recall reading that amphibians shouldn't be handled without gloves ideally, as their skin is very absorbent and they can be severely affected by many things often found on peoples hands.

Then maybe they shouldn't invite themselves into people's houses then.. 

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My cat brought a frog in to the house last night. I opened the back doors and as I'd been up Snowdon over the weekend, my walking pole was by the side, so I tried to use that to guide it towards the garden.

Instead, I accidentally skewered it.

Frog or toad?

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Ooh I dunno, how can you tell? 

Toads tend to be bigger, darker and 'wartier'. And they walk, rather than hop. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My cat brought a frog in to the house last night. I opened the back doors and ... my walking pole was by the side... I accidentally skewered it.

I presume the poor thing croaked.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Ooh I dunno, how can you tell? 

Toads are, I think, browner, drier, squatter/rounder and don't hop very far, more often than not walking. 

Frogs are greener, slimier, 'leggy' bastards who hop off like an amphibious exocet missile.

My parents back garden gets loads of toads from the nature reserve they back onto. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blandy said:

I presume the poor thing croaked.

At the very least he would be hopping mad.

I am kermitted to squeeze as many frog puns into this ribbeting unfrogettable post.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I am kermitted to squeeze as many frog puns into this ribbeting unfrogettable post.

Is spawning that many a tad too much?

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm kermitted to this treatment

or was it "what's in the news toad-ay?"

• Like 3

Â