General Chat

Stevo985

also: how does someone survive having their stomach removed? that news story about the poor lass with the cocktail with liquid nitrogen, unsettles me. I've read they just re connect two tubes, so i know technically how, but it's still amazing, that you can live normally enough, having lost a stomach. Always sounded like it would have been a rather fatal detachement. Science and surgeons ftw.

If you're stupid enough to drink liquid nitrogen you're going to get what you deserve, in my opinion.

can anyone recommend me a cheap place to stay at in birmingham? i'm thinking of coming to see villa - man united from estonia.

http://www.cloverhotel.com/tariffs

It is based in Erdington which is a short hop on the bus from Villa Park .

A single bed will set you back £26 a night which is pretty damn cheap .

You can pour liquid nitrogen over your bare hands, quite safely.

The girl appears to have been unfortunate enough to drink a flash cocktail too soon after the liquid nitrogen was added. It evaporates off very quickly. Perhaps the barman added too much. It would be extremely difficult to drink it alone.

I'm relatively sure that The Clover was on The Hotel Inspector about 6 months back and it was a naturist hotel...

Added bonus then . :)

I think it's a hotel that naturists are welcome to use rather than an all out nude fest .

_59119083_redbull.jpg

The Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner will attempt to become the first human to break the sound barrier unaided by a vehicle.

He is going to jump out of a balloon at more than 120,000ft (36.5km) above Roswell, New Mexico.

In the near vacuum at that altitude, he should accelerate beyond about 690mph (1,110km/h) within 40 seconds.

If all goes well, he will open a parachute near the ground to land softly in the desert, 10 minutes later.

The 43-year-old adventurer - famous for jumping off skyscrapers - is under no illusions about the dangers he faces.

Where he is going, the air pressure is less than 2% of what it is at sea level, and it is impossible to breathe without an oxygen supply.

Others who have tried to break the existing records for the highest, fastest and longest freefalls have lost their lives in the process.

"If something goes wrong, the only thing that might help you is God," says Baumgartner.

"Because if you run out of luck, if you run out of skills, there is nothing left and you have to really hope he is not going to let you down."

Weather permitting, lift-off from Roswell airport should occur about 0700 local time (1300 GMT; 1400BST).

BBC

Boards of Canada's video for the track Dayvan Cowboy features a fair bit of footage of the current (I think) holder of the skydive record on the record breaking dive - it looks utterly surreal.

Good song too.

• Like 1

"If all goes well, he will open a parachute near the ground to land softly in the desert, 10 minutes later."

:blink:

and if all doesn't go well ....

Less than ten minutes would be my guess.

"If something goes wrong, the only thing that might help you is God,"

Not much of a contingency plan.

God is the name of his jet-powered batwing.

Â