General Chat

Stevo985

Every time I read a thread on this site, every other thread is then marked as read.

Rather annoying...anyone else getting this?

Not every time, but occasionally, all threads "go blue" for no apparent reason. It's been happening for years.

99% of the time that happens to me, my external IP has changed.

It used to happen a lot more often, then I figured out the proper way to log in to VT:

* Don't go directly to the forum page

* Go instead to http://www.villatalk.com

* Click from there to the message board (DO NOT LOGIN ON THE FRONT PAGE!)

* Login at the message board's index page

* When done, logout (DO NOT STAY LOGGED IN!)

Just discovered the woman sitting opposite me at work truly believes the world is going to end on 23rd December 2012. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Try getting her in bed "one last time" before then.

Just discovered the woman sitting opposite me at work truly believes the world is going to end on 23rd December 2012. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Exactly what I was thinking... is she fit?

Not a bad plan, but she's not my type. She's 65 and retiring next year. Well, she hopes anyway.

Not a bad plan, but she's not my type. She's 65 and retiring next year. Well, she hopes anyway.

How is she retiring next year if the world is going to end in December?

Exactly. That's why I don't think anybody actually believes this shite. If I honestly believed the world was ending in 5 months I wouldn't be waking up at 5 every morning and going to work.

EDIT - She's also trying to lose weight, which seems a bit pointless in the circumstances.

Every time I read a thread on this site, every other thread is then marked as read.

Rather annoying...anyone else getting this?

Been happening to me for a few weeks.

Didn't really think anything of it, tis only a mild irritant. But interesting that it's not just me (had just assumed it was my browser or something)

Related to VT but couldnt be bothered to start a thread; I cant believe Thomas "Pongo" Waring is yet to be inducted into the Villa hall of fame. Surely next year? Perhaps the greatest Villa striker ever, his ashes where even scatered in the goal infront of the Holte!
My dad knew Pongo well, and had some good stories about him.

They both lived in Birkenhead, and I believe Pongo played for Cammel Laird with my old man, before they both moved to Tranmere Rovers. Dad never got out of the reserves, and ultimately packed it in, but Pongo went on to become a star, there and subsequently at the Villa.

Apparently (at Tranmere at any rate), Pongo was a proper ale cart, and often had a skinful before a match - on at least one occasion he asked a ref if he could go off for a piss during a game!

Make a bet with her. Easy money.

Apparently (at Tranmere at any rate), Pongo was a proper ale cart, and often had a skinful before a match - on at least one occasion he asked a ref if he could go off for a piss during a game!

:lol: Isn't it also one hypothesis that his 'Pongo' nickname was because personal hygiene wasn't high on his agenda.

:lol: Isn't it also one hypothesis that his 'Pongo' nickname was because personal hygiene wasn't high on his agenda.

I don't recall my dad mentioning it, but that may be a fault of MY memory! :lol:

According to Wikipedia he was named after a cartoon character.

The OS has a feature of 'favourite Villans' and Pongo featured a while back where it was definitely mentioned as a possibility. Both facts are allegedly true. The only debate is seemingly whether one followed because of the other.

Villa's then captain Billy Walker on Pongo;

There were no rules for Pongo. Nobody knew what time he would turn up for training—ten o'clock, eleven o'clock, twelve o'clock, it made no odds. Nobody on the staff could do anything with him although I think I can claim, as the captain in his days, to be the only person able to handle him. He was a funny lad indeed. We started the weeks training on Tuesday mornings and every Tuesday he followed a habit which he could never break. He would go round all the refreshment bars on the ground and finish off the lemonade customers, storing the remains in the bottles! Then he would start a little of his training—but that seldom lasted very long.

:lol:

Had to go to a christening today, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting to be honest, normally I **** hate them sorts of things and especially the reception afterwards but it was ok I suppose, just got back from me mom n dads after having me dinner round there and now I am determined to not move off the settee until I go to bed

Exactly. That's why I don't think anybody actually believes this shite. If I honestly believed the world was ending in 5 months I wouldn't be waking up at 5 every morning and going to work.

Why not? I'm pretty sure that even if she thinks the world is going to end, she would have enough sense to acknowledge that at the very least there is a possibility, however small, that it will not - in which case one might as well continue with one's normal life, because if one didn't then one would be well **** if the prediction doesn't come true. This way, she would at least have a chance at continuing life.

Basically, if the world's ending, you're dead regardless of whether you work or not. But if it's not, you're dead if you don't work, but you thrive if you do. Might as well work on the latter assumption. No matter how small the chances of the world not ending are, the choice would arguably be clear for any sane person.

Found out today that my godsons dad died on saturday, he was only in his early thirties.

Feel absolutely gutted for my godson he's only 5 and had only got to know his dad over the last 2 years or so and absolutely idolised him, dont know how his mom is going to tell him.

Its knocked me about quite a bit man, not **** nice at all, when I was speaking to him on yesterday all he was going on about was his dad to me, I had no idea at the time but his mom text me today to say sorry if she was a bit off and told me then.

Found out today that my godsons dad died on saturday, he was only in his early thirties.

Feel absolutely gutted for my godson he's only 5 and had only got to know his dad over the last 2 years or so and absolutely idolised him, dont know how his mom is going to tell him.

Its knocked me about quite a bit man, not **** nice at all, when I was speaking to him on yesterday all he was going on about was his dad to me, I had no idea at the time but his mom text me today to say sorry if she was a bit off and told me then.

As 'godfather' doesn't this mean you take over as the kids father figure?

Â