General Chat

Stevo985

Why is it that on your birthday you have to take cake to work? Shouldn't people buy you cake?

Is this a Midlands thing or is it a nationwide thing?

Happens oop north too.

If in the pub, birthday boy buys a round.

I believe the booze is fiercely expensive though.

Not too bad at all. I expected worse. Found a bar in Reykjavik that before the evening was selling a nice pint at about £2.50. The bars later on weren't too unreasonable either - no more than London prices.

The hotel bar was pricier mind - £4-6 a bottle, but it was a four star out in the sticks with nothing around, so to be expected.

ETA: Used to be a lot worse before their financial crisis I hear, hence the reputation.

Why is it that on your birthday you have to take cake to work? Shouldn't people buy you cake?

Is this a Midlands thing or is it a nationwide thing?

Happens oop north too.

If in the pub, birthday boy buys a round.

In Scotland, you phone in sick on your birthday because everyone you know bought you drink the night before.

Not too bad at all. I expected worse. Found a bar in Reykjavik that before the evening was selling a nice pint at about £2.50. The bars later on weren't too unreasonable either - no more than London prices.

The hotel bar was pricier mind - £4-6 a bottle, but it was a four star out in the sticks with nothing around, so to be expected.

ETA: Used to be a lot worse before their financial crisis I hear, hence the reputation.

Do you remember that bar in Reykjavik, per chance? Also, what are your best suggestions in terms of bars/places to see/ things to do, etc etc.

Do you remember that bar in Reykjavik, per chance? Also, what are your best suggestions in terms of bars/places to see/ things to do, etc etc.

I was the Beatles Bar I think that did that. Pint of Viking I think it was,and think the deal was before 6pm - not sure how much afterwards. Didn't spend too long in Reykjavik, so just had the one night out. Lots of little cafes and bars on the hill up to the big church thing. Oh, and go up the big church thing - great view. Such an odd capital city - it's like a small town from above, with beautiful coloured tiled roofs, and a view out across the sea and the mountains beyond - stunning!

If you've got longer in Rejkjavik, the whale-watching cruises seem popular. But like I say, definitely get a car and go and drive around the golden circle. And even further - maybe stay a night or two an hour or two out of the city. We stayed in Hotel Ranga which was stunning, but quite pricey again - about £120 a night for a room I think, but sitting in the hot tubs while it was -10 outside was something else!

Was nice to see the infamous Eyjafjallajokull, and there are some beautiful smaller waterfalls around there. The road is a beautiful drive. I'd love to go back and drive around the whole island. Watch out for the MASSIVE jeeps on the roads though with wheels the size of tractors, that go up onto the glaciers. Wish I'd done that too, but it was pricey. Also looking ace but pricey were the helicopter tours over the volcanos, but think they were £2-300 each.

I'd also recommened going when it's not 'summer' too ,as their summer isn't really anything to shout about. We went in February, and the weather was amazing. You think it's changeable here - can go from sunny, to hailstorm, to a couple of inches of snow, to sun and a complete thaw in half an hour - mental! you also get a better chance of seeing the Northern Lights - we just caught the slightest glimpse on our last night. Loads of people stood outside the hotel in their pyjamas freezing their arses off was a sight to behold....

How do you play the google doodle? If I click it it just gives me related web search links??

Do you use an older IE? Should work in IE9, FF and Chrome

Help!

I'm using Word at work. I've pressed something accidentally and now whatever I type comes up red and underlined (the font is still set to black and not underlined)

Whenever I delete anything, it doesn't delete it and just puts a red line through it instead (strikethrough isn't selected or anything)

Anyone know what I've done and how to fix it?

"Errrrm, why are you still using Word? Don't you know that's a shit program?"

"Errrrrm, why are you using Windows? Don't you know *insert alternative operating system here* is way better"

^^^that's to save the inevitable boring responses the time and effort of writing a post that I won't read. You're welcome.

Â