General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You can't stop people from getting dogs or put some sort of test or license in, can you? (genuine question)

We used to have Dog licences until they were abolished. It was a perfectly normal thing

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

We used to have Dog licences until they were abolished. It was a perfectly normal thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve got myself to some sort of zen state where I can enjoy the wins and be grateful for them and watch match of the day. But I can also see they’ve quickly gone 2 goals down and I can detach and go and do something else and pretty much forget there was even a game.

Same. It feels like a cheat code. Enjoy the good times, ignore the bad times. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

200.gif?cid=790b76113ve7ashwt9o3lbb9gep4

I was always strictly a cat person and though I was was never really anti-dog, I probably wouldn’t have been bothered much if I never encountered another one until my wife and daughter convinced me to agree to adopt a rescue puppy.  I’m now both a cat person and a dog person.  The adoration and loyalty they can show is infectious.   They can be a pain in the ass, and make things like travel a lot more difficult, but I don’t regret getting him at all.  There’s a regular crew that show up at a local dog park the same time every day and I really enjoy the sense of community hanging out with the other owners and the dogs as they all play together (dogs, not owners).   Of course, we live in an area where you’re just not going to encounter the types of people who are attracted to the dangerous breed and unable/unwilling to put in the work to train them properly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I was always strictly a cat person and though I was was never really anti-dog, I probably wouldn’t have been bothered much if I never encountered another one until my wife and daughter convinced me to agree to adopt a rescue puppy.  I’m now both a cat person and a dog person.  The adoration and loyalty they can show is infectious.   They can be a pain in the ass, and make things like travel a lot more difficult, but I don’t regret getting him at all.  There’s a regular crew that show up at a local dog park the same time every day and I really enjoy the sense of community hanging out with the other owners and the dogs as they all play together (dogs, not owners).   Of course, we live in an area where you’re just not going to encounter the types of people who are attracted to the dangerous breed and unable/unwilling to put in the work to train them properly.

If I remember correctly you're in the states. One of my favourite bits of visiting the states was realising many places had dog parks and not dog parks. Invariably the dog ones had no kiddie playground and so on. I think it would make a massive difference to people who don't like dogs running at them and jumping up at them if we imported this model over here.

I was always a cat person and I knew a kid who was attacked back in the day in the midlands and ended up out of school for a year having skin grafts on his scalp because an alsatian attacked him, that always tainted my view, but recently a friend took on a rescue collie and she's my mate now. So I too have mellowed somewhat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

If I remember correctly you're in the states. One of my favourite bits of visiting the states was realising many places had dog parks and not dog parks. Invariably the dog ones had no kiddie playground and so on. I think it would make a massive difference to people who don't like dogs running at them and jumping up at them if we imported this model over here.

I was always a cat person and I knew a kid who was attacked back in the day in the midlands and ended up out of school for a year having skin grafts on his scalp because an alsatian attacked him, that always tainted my view, but recently a friend took on a rescue collie and she's my mate now. So I too have mellowed somewhat.

Indeed I am.   Did my use of ass vs. arse give it away?😁

Nothing's universal over here, but I think it's become pretty standard in metropolitan areas to have leash laws in effect in most public areas, with specific dedicated areas, usually fenced in, where dogs can run off leash.  That's not to say that there aren't people who let their dogs run off leash in regular parks or elsewhere (actually a hot topic of discussion on NextDoor around here) or occasional issues with aggressive dogs in dog parks.   But you're generally pretty safe if you're out and about as long as you're not in the neighborhoods where posers with an affinity for intimidating dogs tend to live.   The dog park I go to is just a playground next to public tennis courts where they pulled out the play equipment, erected a fence and installed a dog shit bag dispenser.  The dogs that go there are all socialized to each other and generally get on great with each other.  In fact, I'm headed there in a few minutes for our daily 4PM play date.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 15:21, markavfc40 said:

I've just been on holiday extras to see how much airport parking would be for Birmingham airport. I meant to put in 20/03/2024 until 29/03/2024 but accidentally entered 29/03/2025 as the return date. Anyway it came up for car park 1 (closest to terminal/usually the most expensive) as 0.00 cost. I thought I'll chance my arm and see if this processes. It wouldn't as I assume because there was no charge. So I then pressed the 99p to be sent a SMS text confirmation and then made the payment using a voucher I have for an old refund. The payment went through and I have received email confirmation with a booking reference and also a text confirmation. Anyone think I am likely to have problems if I rocked up to the car park? Had the parking been over 60 quid I'd have just got a taxi. 

I just had an email cancelling my booking :lol: Just as well I already booked a taxi transfer, I wasn’t going go risk it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I just had an email cancelling my booking :lol: Just as well I already booked a taxi transfer, I wasn’t going go risk it.

I knew as soon as I had the notification that you'd quoted me in this topic my chips were about to be pissed on 😀 I have just checked and also had the cancellation email. 

• Haha 1

I'm looking after by bed bound Dad this morning. 

Went to make him a coffee and had to open a new milk bottle. They still get it delivered with the foil caps on. 

It's been YEARS since I've opened one of those. 

I was convinced I'd stick my thumb straight through it but managed to judiciously work away at it till I'd worked it loose enough. 

Back in the day you'd instinctively know just how much pressure to apply to get it open and only a faulty bottle would see you with milk thumb. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm looking after by bed bound Dad this morning. 

Went to make him a coffee and had to open a new milk bottle. They still get it delivered with the foil caps on. 

It's been YEARS since I've opened one of those. 

I was convinced I'd stick my thumb straight through it but managed to judiciously work away at it till I'd worked it loose enough. 

Back in the day you'd instinctively know just how much pressure to apply to get it open and only a faulty bottle would see you with milk thumb. 

We had some clever cats round our way when I was a kid. They’d figured out to first pierce the foil with their claw and  then knock the bottle over for free milk.

My mum and dad stopped getting milk delivered for this reason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the strangely vivid memories I have is from school in Year 1 about milk bottles.

We were sat listening to our teacher explain that blue tits would peck open milk bottles on doorsteps and then put stones in the bottle, she asked us if we could explain why they did that. I answered that the stones would take up room in the bottle and make the milk rise to let them drink it. Apparently that was something children at that age weren't expected to 'get' so they were surprised I did.

Carry on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xann said:

Searching for bleach attacker Ezedi in the Thames they've turned up two bodies.

Neither are him.

I almost clicked the laughing emoji for this post. I bet there’s dozens of bodies in there (and a lot of nervous people watching on).

Â