General Chat

Stevo985

On 04/11/2023 at 20:31, Xela said:

Bit of an emotional week for my Mom.

Clearing the home of loved ones is rough as. The definitive emotional minefield.

You might do worse than a surprise Mum visit with flowers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Not fussed about the meat (in increasingly small portions) in the sauce either.  Just give me curry sauce and naan bread and I'm happy. 

Yes, this is me. 

I've thought of asking them to put half the meat in before. 

I assume they'd be happy with this as I would think the meat is the most expensive part, but maybe it would mess up their portioning, I don't know. 

I'm not vedgie by a long shot but I generally just don't like that much meat with meals. 

If you're happy to eat less meat? You're in luck because some of the best dishes are on the bone.

Look out for Nihari, and a many Degi dishes arrive avec bonage.

Edited by Xann

9 minutes ago, Xann said:

If you're happy to eat less meat? You're in luck because some of the best dishes are on the bone.

Look out for Nihari, and a many Degi dishes arrive avec bonage.

Pretty much impossible to have a goat curry without bones in my experience

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pretty much impossible to have a goat curry without bones in my experience

You reckon you've had a curry that's the Greatest Of All Time? 

That's quite the claim 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I think my spice threshold has decreased a bit.

This is definitely me. I love hot stuff of all sorts but a few years ago I started sweating eating the rather mild curry sauce from the chipy and MrsVM hasn't stopped laughing about it since.

On 04/11/2023 at 20:33, Genie said:

The only battle I have is whether to go for a promotion. Lots of colleagues have made the step up and I’m certain I’d get a job because I’ve been top of my grade for so long but some things hold me back.

1) Can I be arsed? 

2) Whilst there would be payrise over time I could end up on less money as the mgt grades have different negotiations.

3) Job security is lower as I’d lose the Union protection non-management grades have.

That's where I was in 2004. Decided to go for promo on the advice of my then boss who rated me. So I did. That boss then left (as he was due to). There was then a gap between me and the next boss up. That boss, instead of putting me in the vacant slot, agreed I should get promoted, buyt first I had to do some courses (not management ones, just various stuff, like become a trained auditor). I did the things he'd said I had to do, and got the certificated to prove it. After about a month or so, he brought in a new bloke, new to the company, to fill the gap. Ex army major. We didn't get on at all. After a few more months I went in to see the big boss again, and asked "I did all that stuff you asked of me, what's the progress from your end?" Answer being he'd done zilch.

Shortly after, the army major bloke called me into his office one end of the day and started telling me how to do my job (he hadn't got a clue). I told him to stop telling me how to do my job and let me get on with it. He lost his rag completely, so I just got up and walked out of his office, ignoring his calls to "get back in here right now".

The next day I went in to see big boss, asked him again if he'd done anything. He hadn't. I told him to stick his promotion, and I wanted to go back to Engineering (I was in a weird hybrid role, as an engineer, but in a commercial function due to the engineering stuff having a big financial impact - as in who was liable for the root cause of technical problems my team investigated).

So, almost the next day I was shifted to a new role, with absolutely no ambition to get in the way, and it was great. Stayed in the Union. Kept overtime payments (which managers don't get) and had a bloody good job and excellent new boss to boot.

TL:DR don't work for dishonest words removed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Maybe last night was a good time to look at the sky?

TELEMMGLPICT000355613437_16992598736490_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2aizoQ_BaLt4dX785YMTtZgojZYlP8f0i9h2tPqCNsM-2789599778.jpg.d3edbddf9c4fde2c42fa6ac4ae72819c.jpg

_131628255_auroralee.jpg.5c932fea3308e4ef5affb9b498467d5d.jpg

BBC

For anyone interested that doesn’t already know, on nights where there is supposed to be a show but you can’t see anything or aren’t sure if you’re seeing something or just wishful thinking then use your phone to take a picture of the night sky.

The lights will show up stronger on your phone photo than to your naked eye. #boring thread

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For anyone interested that doesn’t already know, on nights where there is supposed to be a show but you can’t see anything or aren’t sure if you’re seeing something or just wishful thinking then use your phone to take a picture of the night sky.

The lights will show up stronger on your phone photo than to your naked eye. #boring thread

That is so 2020s. Phone pics are better than actual experience. 

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Same, but I've had Madras in some places where it's blown my head off (ooh er) and others where it's fairly mild.

Yep, i've had Madras much hotter than Vindaloo. Pot luck sometimes!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We went for a Curry at the Agra just off Tottenham Court Road, one of those original first generation type curry houses. Pictures on the wall of it opening in the late 1940’s or whenever.

I think we have discussed this before, but thats by a pub I always meet my mate at when i'm down in London - the Northumberland Arms, on Tottenham Court Road. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Anyhoo, one of the guys there it was his regular. We were all ordering our meals and he asked for the ‘special naga sauce’ and the waiter said they didn’t do such a thing. He insisted they do, the owner was called over and she said he could have it but nobody else could

Naga jolokia - aka ghost pepper! I had a ghost pepper chicken curry last week. It tingled a bit. 

• Like 1

Can't find a better place for this I don't think. What age is it appropriate for your kid to have their girlfriend/boyfriend to stay and let them share a bed? Specifically in this case a lesbian relationship.

It is not my daughter but my partners, I questioned my partner on it and she said "nobody is going to get pregnant", which, whilst accurate is not really the point.

10 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Can't find a better place for this I don't think. What age is it appropriate for your kid to have their girlfriend/boyfriend to stay and let them share a bed? Specifically in this case a lesbian relationship.

It is not my daughter but my partners, I questioned my partner on it and she said "nobody is going to get pregnant", which, whilst accurate is not really the point.

My daughter had her first serious boyfriend stop over at 15. Wasn't happy but resigned to something happening so it may as well be somewhere that isn't a car on some car park. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyClarke said:

I have two daughters (25 and 17). My eldest had her first serious boyfriend at around 16 and half and they were together for almost 7 years. Before they moved in together when they were around 22 he must have stayed over 200 times but they never slept in the same bed. My youngest has over the last year had her first serious boyfriend and he has been stopping pretty much once a week for the last few months but again they sleep separately. 

I know it will sound like madness to some but it is just not something I was/am comfortable with and in fairness I don't think either of my daughters would be either. I think had I have had lads I would have been completely different but having girls it is hard, although I am obviously not stupid and know what will be going on as much as I have over the years tried to not acknowledge it/accept it 🙂 

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am obviously not stupid and know what will be going on as much as I have over the years tried to not acknowledge it/accept it 🙂 

You mean that as soon as you're asleep they sneak down the hall?

Â