General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Same. The grand tour does nothing for me either. It was lightning in a bottle for several years but I think it had just about run its course when they left the beeb.

It was very good at its peak, but the new version of Top Gear was poor. Only Chris Harris is decent. 

They went from using car journalists, who could drive properly (Clarkson is a very accomplished driver apparently), to car fans (Evans), to basically people like Flintoff and Paddy McGuinness, who have no connection to cars, but are 'popular'... quite how McGuinness is popular is anyone's guess!

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

It was very good at its peak, but the new version of Top Gear was poor. Only Chris Harris is decent. 

They went from using car journalists, who could drive properly (Clarkson is a very accomplished driver apparently), to car fans (Evans), to basically people like Flintoff and Paddy McGuinness, who have no connection to cars, but are 'popular'... quite how McGuinness is popular is anyone's guess!

McGuiness's stand up performance is one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV. Got 10 minutes in and genuinely felt embarrassed for the guy.

12 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

McGuiness's stand up performance is one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV. Got 10 minutes in and genuinely felt embarrassed for the guy.

I got free tickets to watch him once at a stand up gig. A good ten years ago perhaps? It was probably the worst one I’ve seen and I’ve been to plenty of stand up shows. 

I also think his performances on a Question of Sport leave a lot to be desired, but I actually quite liked him in Phoenix Nights and Max & Paddy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And I'll throw this out there... Gordon, gino and Fred are a better trio

It unfortunately falls into the same trap of clearly orchestrated/scripted mishaps which make it frustrating to watch.

18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I got free tickets to watch him once at a stand up gig. A good ten years ago perhaps? It was probably the worst one I’ve seen and I’ve been to plenty of stand up shows. 

I also think his performances on a Question of Sport leave a lot to be desired, but I actually quite liked him in Phoenix Nights and Max & Paddy. 

Yeah, I think it's Peter Kay that carries him, his writing and acting allows for Paddy's lack of talent. PK admitted he just wrote PM into the script rather than asking him to play a character.

• Like 1

The first series or two of Three Men in a Boat with Dara O’Briain, Griff Rhys Jones and Rory McGrath was fairly enjoyable in the “let’s get a few famous men together for a bit of humorous, sometimes wistful chat with a pleasant enough backdrop” genre.

No doubt went on for a few too many series, but it was alright.

I think Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing has that vibe pretty much sewn up these days.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

if you got free tickets again for McGuiness, would you go?

26 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

if you got free tickets again for McGuiness, would you go?

Probably yeah, it’s a night out (I don’t get out often) and I do like a stand up gig. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 11:52, BOF said:

The man is quietly a marketing genius

"Ryanair, Europe's cheapest airline who fly to over 100 destinations and currently have their biggest ever sale are exploring the idea of making you pay to use the toilets on their flights"

Everyone knows that story, it's not even stealth how they sneak in the rest it's right in front of your face

Personally they don't bother me, I know exactly what they are, if I'm looking at driving from Kiddy to Stansted, parking at Stansted for the weekend and then flying to Frankfurt Hahn being more than half the price of flying from brum to Frankfurt Am with lufthansa then I know which one I'm going for

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The man is quietly a marketing genius

"Ryanair, Europe's cheapest airline who fly to over 100 destinations and currently have their biggest ever sale are exploring the idea of making you pay to use the toilets on their flights"

Everyone knows that story, it's not even stealth how they sneak in the rest it's right in front of your face

Personally they don't bother me, I know exactly what they are, if I'm looking at driving from Kiddy to Stansted, parking at Stansted for the weekend and then flying to Frankfurt Hahn being more than half the price of flying from brum to Frankfurt Am with lufthansa then I know which one I'm going for

Exactly. Loads of people moan about them. Even more than that fly with them. Because they're very often the cheapest and that's that. Yes they charge you for extras, but other airlines don't give you that option. They include those extras as mandatory and reflect it in the higher ticket price and then some. At least Ryanair give you the option of not having it in the first place.

The one exception with Ryanair is if things don't go to plan. Like cancellations etc. They also adopt the 'you're on your own' attitude very quickly. And they won't go out of their way and show empathy to people needing help with kids etc. That's when; as my mate calls it; "a real airline" like Aer Lingus or someone similar will come into their own.  In that scenario, if I was a passenger flying somewhere with kids and there's not much difference in the price between Ryanair and someone else, I'll pay the extra rather than risk Ryanair.

But flying single, or low risk expecting no bells and whistles, no complaints with them. They brought flying to the masses and put (pricing) manners on the whole industry.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'm not proud of it, but I just clicked on a Villa article on the Express and Star website. It wants me to log in or create an account to read their "premium" content. :D

Goodbye forever E&S

If I read a website regularly, I contribute. If it’s the occasional article then use web archive to read. Copy the url of the article and paste it in the archives and Robert identifies as your uncle. e.g.

https://archive.today

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

If I read a website regularly, I contribute. If it’s the occasional article then use web archive to read. Copy the url of the article and paste it in the archives and Robert identifies as your uncle. e.g.

https://archive.today

cheers for that, I'll use that if there's an interesting article (unlike the time filler in the E&S. :D

OOI what do you mean by contribute?

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Pay/give money , or in the case of VT give time and/or money.

I thought so, just confused me as the E&S was a register for free type deal (not that I'd mentioned it). Me who doesn't do mobile phones or clubcards is a demographic unlikely to click agree to them gathering more data on me.

Â