General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, bielesibub said:

if you can't understand a 20mph sign means 20mph then go fall off a cliff.

20mph zones are absolutely arbitrary nonsense. The way they were designated was beyond silly. Councils had to make a  minimum percentage of their roads 20mph and the decision making is absolute nonsense

I can show you a road in our borough that is 20mph up to the borough boundary and 30mph on the other side, nothing changes except the council. I can show you a 20mph Road that has no-one living on it that is the main road through an industrial area that no buses serve and no one walks.

I can also show you 2 and 3 lane dual carriageways that pass far more peoples houses than 20mph zones and there's no barriers on the side of the road

The police do not police 20mph zones, I even know of a 20mph zone in our borough that has now had the Speed Camera removed because they don't put them up in 20mph zones

20mph zones are only a thing because they reduced road deaths in Islington, who made the entire borough 20mph. Yes thats Islington in the city of traffic jams

Don't read this as me being against them, I'm not. I just think the way they currently are is utter bollocks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

20mph zones are absolutely arbitrary nonsense. The way they were designated was beyond silly. Councils had to make a  minimum percentage of their roads 20mph and the decision making is absolute nonsense

I can show you a road in our borough that is 20mph up to the borough boundary and 30mph on the other side, nothing changes except the council. I can show you a 20mph Road that has no-one living on it that is the main road through an industrial area that no buses serve and no one walks.

I can also show you 2 and 3 lane dual carriageways that pass far more peoples houses than 20mph zones and there's no barriers on the side of the road

The police do not police 20mph zones, I even know of a 20mph zone in our borough that has now had the Speed Camera removed because they don't put them up in 20mph zones

20mph zones are only a thing because they reduced road deaths in Islington, who made the entire borough 20mph. Yes thats Islington in the city of traffic jams

Don't read this as me being against them, I'm not. I just think the way they currently are is utter bollocks.

I'm sure your argument is valid - my understanding of 20mph zones from when they were introduced is that there's overwhelming evidence that if you hit a child under 16 at 20 their chance of surviving is statistically far, far higher than hitting them at 30 mph or even 25 mph.

Of course if you don't like kids, then have at it - 40 mph should be your minimum at all times :D

Edit: I don't want to appear contrite. The evidence was that broken bones can be fixed, but over 20mph you get internal bleeding from organ rupture and broken bones sticking into livers and spleens etc. which is far harder to remedy.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Thanks 1

On 30/07/2022 at 22:39, foreveryoung said:

I'm on the road alot, an the amount of people I see on there phones, even when they could just link it to there car is shocking. I look a few times when overtaking, you can see them swerving nearly out the lanes, an low and behold they are either typing or have the phone to there ear. Truck drivers are forever going out there lanes and I've also seen many swerve onto the hard shoulder onto the rumble straps. More needs to be done, as if it wasn't for other drivers being aware there would be lots more accidents.

Similar to my moan about people in nice new cars driving around with their windows open on a hot day when their car is clearly good enough to have aircon...

... I agree with you about phone usage, and like you said the amount of people you see talking on the phone when they're driving a car that clearly is good enough to have bluetooth etc to connect the phone to

Absolutely baffles me. It's like they're doing it to show off

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm sure your argument is valid - my understanding of 20mph zones from when they were introduced is that there's overwhelming evidence that if you hit a child under 16 at 20 their chance of surviving is statistically far, far higher than hitting them at 30 mph or even 25 mph.

Of course if you don't like kids, then have at it - 40 mph should be your minimum at all times :D

Edit: I don't want to appear contrite. The evidence was that broken bones can be fixed, but over 20mph you get internal bleeding from organ rupture and broken bones sticking into livers and spleens etc. which is far harder to remedy.

Thank you @TheAuthority that was a far politer reply than I would have given.

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I agree it’ll likely never be fully automated.

But I do look forward to the day the car knows the max speed and won’t go above it.

Be honest, when have you ever been in an emergency situation where the safest possible option was to accelerate beyond the legal speed limit?

(I’ll write down the user names of the three people that say they have…)

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Over here on the sunny side of the border we’re switching to a blanket 20mph, with 30th being the exception.

Bring it on. Hey, twenty is plenty.

Come on man, seriously? 

With all the advances in braking systems and you think 20mph should be the limit? 

I used to love driving but it’s being made less appealing all the time.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Come on man, seriously? 

With all the advances in braking systems and you think 20mph should be the limit? 

I used to love driving but it’s being made less appealing all the time.

You can advance the braking system all you like, someone steps out in front of you and you’re doing 30mph and its far more serious than at 20mph.

The reality is around here, in town, there are so many junctions and parked vehicles, shops, parks, schools, cyclists, zebra crossings that you rarely get the chance to do 30mph without constantly accelerating and braking.

Yeah, in town, 20mph is fine. What’s the average distance people are driving around town? A few miles? Set out 3 minutes earlier.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You can advance the braking system all you like, someone steps out in front of you and you’re doing 30mph and its far more serious than at 20mph.

The reality is around here, in town, there are so many junctions and parked vehicles, shops, parks, schools, cyclists, zebra crossings that you rarely get the chance to do 30mph without constantly accelerating and braking.

Yeah, in town, 20mph is fine. What’s the average distance people are driving around town? A few miles? Set out 3 minutes earlier.

If you can’t slow down from 30mph quickly enough to avoid an accident that you would have otherwise avoided had you been travelling at 20mph then you shouldn’t be behind the wheel in the first place.

You can stop on a sixpence from 30mph if you’re paying attention and are competent.

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm suprised to see people say they'll never be fully automated. Like in 1,000 years from now? 

There will come a point where they are SO much safer than people that there will be public outcry about road deaths from manual drivers / manual override that they will be forced to take the man out of the machine. 

Top Gear will be correct crap mind 

On 30/07/2022 at 21:40, Xela said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. 

A very hard watch. A lorry driver distracted by his phone and the inevitable happens. Anyone who messes about with their phone while driving needs to see this and realise how stupid they are. 

This is the one I saw a while back, even had a camera in his cab, caught red handed.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Winner goes through to play the winner of Morse v Miss Marple. 

Morse easy. Had a nasty streak. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Morse easy. Had a nasty streak. 

Depends which Miss Marple it is. Joan Hickson would have no chance, but I reckon Margaret Rutherford could take him. 

Â