General Chat

Stevo985

My mate lost his shop job when he served a skinhead who'd asked for a tin of Bostik and three bags.

I never got in to the gloo, never even tried it once. I'd seen what it did to those that had a go, and figured I was better off doing something else.

But yeah, pin in the end and try try try not to be tempted to stick your fingers to the model plane whilst it was all still drying. But I always did. I don't think there was a spitfire or a lancaster ever got through the build without a glue finger print half way along the fuselage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I guess it's just me that finds Lee using 4 Americans to represent a whole continent  when he does sketches about stereotypes and ignorance as part of his I'm cleverer than you routine a tad hypocritical 

Stuart Lee does sketches?

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't think there was a spitfire or a lancaster ever got through the build without a glue finger print half way along the fuselage.

Liquid poly arrived at the end of my model making days.

Applied with a paintbrush, it changed everything :)

Edited by Xann
  • Like 2

Anyone know much about having central heating installed?

I've never had central heating, the house is a 50s build with the only fixed heating being a gas fire in the living room. My dad always wanted to add in a proper system which typically just never happened (he also wanted to rewire the house as the electrics here have been fiddled with numerous times over the years and 50s wiring doesn't have the best record...), however at the moment the gas fire, which is only a few years old and was shit from day one, isn't working and the hot water system, an immersion heater and also quite new, is playing up as well. Increasingly it looks like I might just have to bite the bullet.

Unfortunately I've no idea about this stuff or where to begin, other than the obvious that's it's going to be a nightmare to install and cost a shitload.

A guy I worked with just had to have it done, he paid about £4000, it's a pretty big house though, 4 bedrooms, 2 reception rooms, 3 bathrooms. Only took them 3 days, which is quicker than I thought.

I'd say the best thing to do is to just pick 3 or 4 companies and get them to come out and give you a quote for the work.

If you're used to the house being cooler than a centrally heated house, and you're ok with that, you could damp down the cost a little bit by having a partial installation. Have a central heating boiler big enough for the full house to be centrally heated, but just put radiators in the rooms you feel are essential for now. That'll knock a few hundred off the installation. Then in a year or three you can have the rest done.

It might be worth including British Gas in amongst the quotes you get. They'll most likely be the dearest, but they'll also most likely tell you what system best suits you. You can use that knowledge as a gauge against a couple of local firms. 

We paid a little over what others wanted to have British Gas fit ours. They had an interest free deal on at the time, and 12 months free complete repair and service cover. If it stopped working on a Tuesday night, they would come out Tuesday night. No trying to persuade a local plumber you cannot wait a week for him to come and have a look for a £60 call out fee.

Davkaus's £4k sounds about there for a boiler and rads and pipes.

Thanks both. 

The house isn't terribly big, 50s semi detached 3 bed so there's not going to be anything like the number of rads needed for somewhere line Davkaus' colleagues place. I also may be able to get rads at cheaper price due to a family friends contact, which might keep the price down.

I'm used to the house being cold and we have cavity wall and improved loft insulation done which helps, but others less used to it are less happy with the situation and it does need doing ultimately so will probably just get the lot done once I've got everything in order. Genuinely wasn't aware British Gas would do a full installation, I'll have a look into that.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Anyone know much about having central heating installed?

Unless you know someone, seriously consider a subscription to Which?

We did for the double glazing and a heating overhaul/boiler replacement, there's a trusted local trader database.

We got quotes from 3 apiece on there. They were all the same ballpark moneywise and much cheaper than the big names.

They also offered slightly different extras from each other.

Got much prettier frames than we thought we might on the glazing. The heating was around £1500 under budget.

• Like 1

I'll be in the market for double glazing later this summer. 

1 bay living room window, 7x double bedroom/dining room size windows.

Is there a rule of thumb for rough pricing? 

Edited by Genie
Can't count

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stewart Lee is a genius. He's a million miles ahead of anyone else working in stand up comedy today.

After I read this I decided to give him another try. Most of what I have seen of him seemed really stale and redundant. Whatever bit I watched last night was really funny, but it seems like more recent material. Is he kind of evolving somewhat with his material or did I just stumble upon something I just happened to like?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

After I read this I decided to give him another try. Most of what I have seen of him seemed really stale and redundant. Whatever bit I watched last night was really funny, but it seems like more recent material. Is he kind of evolving somewhat with his material or did I just stumble upon something I just happened to like?

He's evolving to the point that his disdain for himself, the medium and his audience has become the central premise to his act - and he's much the better for it.

Â