General Chat

Stevo985

I'm not worried about getting emotional, for instance, at the end.

My fear is that I'll be so emotional I just won't be able to say anything.

I struggled reading aloud what I put on Facebook yesterday to notify people that Dad had passed so that my mom could give it the ok, and all that said was basically that he had passed.

Like Stefan said, if I don't speak I'll regret it, I'm just really nervous that I won't be able to talk at all.

Ben, everyone will know exactly what your dad means to you. Whatever you say up there, or whatever you can't say, it doesn't matter. Go up there, do what you can. Everyone is going in the same direction and will support you.

I do like Tony's comment though, about giving a copy to the person leading the ceremony. Then the words will be said either way.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I struggled reading aloud what I put on Facebook yesterday to notify people that Dad had passed so that my mom could give it the ok, and all that said was basically that he had passed.

Like Stefan said, if I don't speak I'll regret it, I'm just really nervous that I won't be able to talk at all.

im sure you'll do your family proud. i went to a funeral the other month and it was hard watching his son reading out a few words and seeing him so upset but he managed it everyone was proud of him. thats the only problem with love, you end up with a broken heart. all the best anyway and hope it goes well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I struggled to write my words ... every memory , every little anecdote   but what I will say is the more you read them as you write and practise it ,it does get a little easier each  time  ...even then  I literally read mine about 7 times in a row before I left to go to the service and got my wobbles out the way ...it won't be easy but as I said earlier everyone will be willing you on ... I didn't want to do mine but afterwards I was glad I did 

I'm definitely doing mine, no question. I'll regret it if I don't. 

I'm just going to practise and hope that makes it easier. If I can't get through it then I can't get through it, but at least I'll have tried, and at least my words will get read out.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You could ask a friend or relative to read it for you. I'm sure people would understand the reasoning. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I think it's incredibly admirable how you are coping stevo. I know this has been coming a little while now, but I think you deserve a lot of credit in how you seem to be handling it all.

I love you too

Edit: but seriously, thanks. I haven't handled it that well over the weekend, and I'm sure in the next couple of weeks I'll have moments where I handle it terribly. But for now I feel ok bar the odd wobbly moment which will all probably catch up with me when I get out of the bubble of sorting out all the official stuff.

Edited by Stevo985

Bade a slow farewell to sport over the last few days ... 5 a side and 11 aside football last week and badminton tonight

on Friday I'm going to have some stem cells taken from my hip and implanted into my left knee where via some form of witchcraft it will (hopefully ) grow into new cartilage .... If it goes well they will repeat the process on my right knee in a few months time ....Means no sport for about a year ... Maybe even forever !!

Playing sport has been a huge part of my life since I can remember ... It's gonna be tough ... I'm imagining I will be  somewhat grumpy for the foreseeable future ....

I've just had 6 months out with a torn hip, I'm back playing now but I'm in agony whilst playing at not much better the day after, if it goes again that's me done

Put on a stone and a half whilst not playing (inc a decent Christmas) think it's that + the social side of it I missed the most

Been up to the Mids to see the Old Chap on his 80th.

His birthday was today, but we'd invited a couple of his friends down for lunch Saturday.

My folks are a bit forgetful, but raised their game in the day and it went really well.

Around sixish we knocked it on the head, and I took them home, alas not before the guests had got a round of shots in :mellow:

Two hours later, Dad rings to say Mum's on the run in her nightclothes.

A search party rapidly assembled, but as we're about to leave, the Law arrived at the door. She'd been found by an off duty copper.

The police kindly drove me to Dad, then A&E in the Woo.

Dad was covered in blood, it turned out to be his own. Cuts on his arms and a fairly impressive gouge on his cheek.

She's at the hospital. No shoes, nightgown covered in his blood and a purple egg growing on her forehead.

A quick inspection of her hands - She has claws. There's a bit of Dad's face under the thumbnail.

4 hours after various tests (Lovely nurse Lara, gorgeous :wub:) we're allowed home.

Not an evening to forget.

Unless you're them.

They'd forgotten by breakfast.

Not boring this dementia.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've just had 6 months out with a torn hip, I'm back playing now but I'm in agony whilst playing at not much better the day after, if it goes again that's me done

Put on a stone and a half whilst not playing (inc a decent Christmas) think it's that + the social side of it I missed the most

That's the worry for me ... Since I stopped doing competitve athletics and stopped league football in favour of less competitive football a few years back ,  I scaled back on my training but not my love of sugar and also piled on a few pounds

im going to have to drastically change my diet over the next year or I'm going to end up looking like an American 

trouble is I don't eat fruit and  don't eat veg so I'm  going to have my work cut out ..

Edited by tonyh29

Any reason why you don't eat fruit and veg tone? 

I like a burger once or twice a week but I always have a few days of chicken salads and fruit and whatnot.

Mainly as I don't like it ... I guess i do eat potato and the occasional corn on the cob  though thinking about it so no fruit and veg isn't quite true !

But when we order something like Chinese I sit there and pick out all the white things from a chow mein and jut eat the meat only from any dishes ... 

I think if someone gave me a whole tomato and said eat this or we kill that girls puppy , then that girl will be crying for some time :) .. I would eat a spag Bol though but any tomato lump bigger than a mm gets moved to the side of the  plate ..  Yeah I know it's not rational 

I'm the opposite on the old fruit n veg.

I used to be a vegetarian, then I went full carnivore, now I'm finding myself having meat free days that just happened that way not a conscious decision. I'll make a stir fry and instead of meat in there it'll be a few decent last minute mushrooms lobbed on the top.

Thinking about it, last night was a sort of veggie fried rice n vegetables with a guest appearance from some pak choi.

It's not a big deal, every chance tonight could be roast beef or sausages.

It would be a disaster if I lost a couple of kilos.

Mainly as I don't like it ... I guess i do eat potato and the occasional corn on the cob  though thinking about it so no fruit and veg isn't quite true !

But when we order something like Chinese I sit there and pick out all the white things from a chow mein and jut eat the meat only from any dishes ... 

I think if someone gave me a whole tomato and said eat this or we kill that girls puppy , then that girl will be crying for some time [emoji4] .. I would eat a spag Bol though but any tomato lump bigger than a mm gets moved to the side of the  plate ..  Yeah I know it's not rational 

Tony do your friends not merciless take the piss out of you for this? Seeing as you are,you know, a grown adult and not a 4 year old.

My brother is a similar freaky eater and he gets ripped to shreds for it on a regular basis

• Like 1

I have to say, I sympathise with Tony. I don't like fruit and green veg much at all. I do eat some to assuage the missus, but TBH I regard it as medicine to be endured, rather than food to be enjoyed. 

• Like 1

Â