General Chat

Stevo985

Probably as good as the original. At one point they were talking of a super group getting together consisting of people like Damon Albarn, Noel Gallagher and other similar names. 

Edited by useless
Which isn't very good.

Adele won all the major stuff, like I said before I don't agree with it, to me she's just released a huge selling album and one song but they've both sold so well based on the hype of her return

Coldplay won best group...

Bjork best female international, U2 nominated for best international group, so one who has been dead for 5 years and hasn't released an album in 10 was up for best female

It seems like an award show that desperately claims that it is still relevant and at the forefront of British music and yet in reality it's the opposite, it's outdated irrelevant acts winning awards because they have one eye on record sales and think that's the easy populist opinion and the other eye on how these awards will be reported globally, Coldplay winning best group will be reported the other side of the pond, Maccabees or Foals deservedly win it and no one cares, so they don't

The whole thing is a back slapping exercise

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

James Bay is the musical equivalent of Beige.

Much like Dylan or Bon Iver (although I like small amounts of their stuff)

Wow, did you just lump Dylan in with James Bay and Bon Iver? In their wet dreams maybe!

Love, loath, or tolerate him, Dylan is a bona fide music great.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Adele won all the major stuff, like I said before I don't agree with it, to me she's just released a huge selling album and one song but they've both sold so well based on the hype of her return

Coldplay won best group...

Bjork best female international, U2 nominated for best international group, so one who has been dead for 5 years and hasn't released an album in 10 was up for best female

It seems like an award show that desperately claims that it is still relevant and at the forefront of British music and yet in reality it's the opposite, it's outdated irrelevant acts winning awards because they have one eye on record sales and think that's the easy populist opinion and the other eye on how these awards will be reported globally, Coldplay winning best group will be reported the other side of the pond, Maccabees or Foals deservedly win it and no one cares, so they don't

The whole thing is a back slapping exercise

How is Amy Winehouse still appearing in the list for 'best female'? Is this the public nominating this list? Could I organise a write-in campaign for Vera Lynn, or am I missing something?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Wow, did you just lump Dylan in with James Bay and Bon Iver? In their wet dreams maybe!

Love, loath, or tolerate him, Dylan is a bona fide music great.  

I thought I'd let somebody else say it. 

• Like 1

I didn't watch the Brits (obviously) but I enjoyed reports this morning that said something like

"Drake and Rhianna spent their 3 minute performance doing things that would get you thrown out of your local swimming baths"

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn't watch the Brits (obviously) but I enjoyed reports this morning that said something like

"Drake and Rhianna spent their 3 minute performance doing things that would get you thrown out of your local swimming baths"

If the video is anything to go by then it's probably accurate. Rihanna in that video though leobite.png

Apparently yeah. Was surprised when there was an uproar that Kendrick Lamar didn't win album of the year at the Grammy's this year. Not because I disagreed (he should have), but because I didn't think people cared about the Grammy's in 2016 :lol: 

3 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

do people still care about awards?

You didn't ever get that cycling proficiency badge did you?

But seriously, no. There can be little in the world more futile than celebrities and personalities and singers and actors all lining up to give each other prizes. Little more futile, other than sitting o your sofa and watching it.

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Did any black people win any awards? If not why not? 

cause they weren't the best contender probably and the awards were on merit ( well that and who has the most cash to buy it )   ....... When the award for best  black person in a category only for black people goes to Jack Black then I'll maybe join the protest movement with Mrs Smith  *

* I won't cause I'm lazy

12 hours ago, useless said:

True, but its the same for all music award events. None of have any real merit in deciding which is better. 

3 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Who were you responding to there?

The idea that the Brits are less worthy than other awards ceremonies that don't get lampooned as much, like the mercury prize, Ivor novello, nme and so on. They're all just as mundane and unworthy of each other.

14 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Genuinely didn't realise the Brits were even on tonight until I saw your post.

I think it was Noel Gallagher who said the problem with the Brits is they want to be taken seriously as a prestigious music celebration, banning alcohol, cutting out any bad behaviour etc.

But at the same time they insist on having the likes of Ant & Dec present it which completely undermines any credibility they could muster.

Ant & Dec are the most credible thing about The Brits. 

Â