Petrov - can he play in a 4-4-2?

barry'sboots

Stan as a defensive midfielder in a 4-4-2?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Stan as a defensive midfielder in a 4-4-2?

• Yes please
    • Not on your life

I think it is wrong to say we play 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

We adjust a lot during the match. Today Carew was interviewed after the match at Canal Plus and he told how he now has a slightly different role in the team, he has to fall back more to help the midfield defend.

We played 4-4-2

Petrov played

Heskey was on the pitch

And we still beat the team that will probably win the league, how did that happen?

And Cuellar played right back :winkold:

And did a fine job!!!

I also found him to be very good today, but not MOTM. For me that was Friedel....

are you for real?? friedel was at fault for the goal then in the 2nd half saved a couple of shots that were straihgt at him.

if he didnt save them they would hav been even bigger **** ups than the one he let in....

Sorry, but that shot was very fast and had a wicked dip on it. I am not saying he was not at fault, but that made for an impecible performance thereafter.

At one stage he saved a shot from Anelka which MUST have been in, and the save against Deco, not to forget the set pieces. At no stage did Chelsea (the league leaders until today) look anything like dangerous on set pieces. Defence was very well organized, and Friedel played a big part in that.

Credit where credit is due. Same goes for Petrov, who was vers solid today.

So can we finally put the 4-4-2, Petrov and Sidwell antitheory to bed now? to be woken up at some point in the future when they have a bad game, when they will no doubt always have been crap together and can never pay in that formation again ever!

(please don't attempt answer this question)

I also found him to be very good today, but not MOTM. For me that was Friedel....

are you for real?? friedel was at fault for the goal then in the 2nd half saved a couple of shots that were straihgt at him.

if he didnt save them they would hav been even bigger **** ups than the one he let in....

Sorry, but that shot was very fast and had a wicked dip on it. I am not saying he was not at fault, but that made for an impecible performance thereafter.

At one stage he saved a shot from Anelka which MUST have been in, and the save against Deco, not to forget the set pieces. At no stage did Chelsea (the league leaders until today) look anything like dangerous on set pieces. Defence was very well organized, and Friedel played a big part in that.

Credit where credit is due. Same goes for Petrov, who was vers solid today.

seen the action back on the tele and i stand by what i said we'll hav 2 agree 2 disagree

4-5-1 (4-3-3) against teams who play this.

4-4-2 against teams who play 4-4-2.

Until we can get Gabby to work in a meaningful partnership with another central striker.

But the thread is supposed to be about whether Petrov can play in a 4-4-2. Yes of course he can, but I'd rather it wasn't with Delph for the time being. With Sidwell, NRC, Gardner even yes, why not?

Petrov played bloody brilliantly yesterday. Anyone who plays that well can make a formation work, the problem is maintaining that level of performance. Hopefully it's a case of him adjusting/getting to peak fitness rather than just a good game. Not having Delph next to him helps too.

So can we finally put the 4-4-2, Petrov and Sidwell antitheory to bed now? to be woken up at some point in the future when they have a bad game, when they will no doubt always have been crap together and can never pay in that formation again ever!

(please don't attempt answer this question)

QFT.

Also worth noting that when Mr Petrove finds his way into the opposition penalty area he makes stuff happen - even if he does not score much himself.

For him to be able to do that he needs to be sure that his midfield partner and his defence won't leave him stranded. I think Sidwell, for all his flaws, is a hard worker and has a good understanding with Petrov.

please don't attempt answer this question)

Answered however. By me and by Ryan. Any more questions you don't want answering?

Perhaps a better answer would have been: All Hail the Great Saviour 4-4-2!

Sound familiar? 8)