The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

gLgyi5w.jpg?1

Michel Legrand, who looked and sounded very old and frail until he picked up the baton.

It got better still when he sat behind the piano - Old Boy had skills!

Looked like he appreciated the love from the audience, great gig.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xann said:

gLgyi5w.jpg?1

Michel Legrand, who looked and sounded very old and frail until he picked up the baton.

It got better still when he sat behind the piano - Old Boy had skills!

Looked like he appreciated the love from the audience, great gig.

Off the top of my head I only really know him as the "Windmills of your Mind" guy. But still, what a song to have written.

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

I'm OK, then, I'm not offended. 

? Joking aside, they look fantastic when they play live. The paint they wear is that luminous type that glows in the dark and the effect is brilliant.

They have a fondness for all things Voodoo and black magic in their lyrics/look so the visuals are to match that.

They are also bloody nice folks (met them at a couple of previous gigs) and of course they produce top tunes too :thumb:

57 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

? Joking aside, they look fantastic when they play live. The paint they wear is that luminous type that glows in the dark and the effect is brilliant.

They have a fondness for all things Voodoo and black magic in their lyrics/look so the visuals are to match that.

They are also bloody nice folks (met them at a couple of previous gigs) and of course they produce top tunes too :thumb:

Lilly Allen got 15 seconds  ... Vodun only managed 12

make of that what you will :)

to remove any doubt I meant listening time before I hit the off button , not alone time with me and some lube 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Lilly Allen got 15 seconds  ... Vodun only managed 12

make of that what you will :)

to remove any doubt I meant listening time before I hit the off button , not alone time with me and some lube 

To be fair with your musical taste I'm definitely taking that as a compliment ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Off the top of my head I only really know him as the "Windmills of your Mind" guy. 

This tellytastic number crops up a bit.

He had his Tom Jones moment when the 'Summer of 42' started. Audible sploosh from 500 grey fannies :D

The 60th birthay party I went to on Saturday night in Bristol had a tremendously good covers band. Mostly classic rock - Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, Boston, Thin Lizzy, Prince, etc. Totally unoriginal, but went down a storm.  There's a place for it now and again. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why is it in English? 

I don't really know. Other than quite a few things are over there. My theory, I think it's because parts of Germany are quite progressive and aren't intimidated by other cultures or by their own monoglot elements. Some signage is just in English, for no obvious reason other than introducing small amounts of english familiarises people with other languages and therefore helps broaden communication. Maybe? I don't know.

Maybe, being Hamburg, they've identified there are lots of nationalities present and felt maybe more would have english as a common language than German? They wanted to stop 'outsiders' moving in because its a funky lively area, then moaning about the funky lively area. So thought they'd spell it out in an international language?

That particular photo was promoting LiveKomm, the Live Musik Komission for Germany. A check on their twitter and other media and a good portion of it is in english.

Docks, on Spielbudenplatz.41880653_1133491556801768_85931923891185

Central Berlin is amazingly Anglo. Some record shops and coffee shops were all English - No German.

I asked a guy in a sandwich place (with an enormous menu in English behind the counter, with just the one word 'kaffee' to give a clue you weren't in Shoreditch) if this caused friction with the natives?

He said sometimes, but the positives outweighed the negatives.

On 21/09/2018 at 13:53, tonyh29 said:

Allen got 15 seconds  ... Vodun only managed 12

Yeah, utterly unlistenable for me too. I’ve got a reasonable overlap in taste with Simon, but that....jeez ?

• Haha 1

Took a pass on watching Vodun as they clashed with pg.lost at ATG a few years back.  I've no regrets because, well, pg.lost, but I did hear good things from those who went to see Vodun.

And this is all I have to contribute to the Vodun conversation. ?

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Mrs H got Metallica tickets today  ..thankfully she found someone to go with her so I don't have to ...close escape

Dumbass! They are great live :D I'm taking the whole family.

Â