The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah good old Pizzaface

Glum with it :)

Quite fond of him really. Associate him with good times. Tight with money, surprisingly generous with favours.

Hope they make Bestival work.

9 hours ago, Xann said:

Glum with it :)

Quite fond of him really. Associate him with good times. Tight with money, surprisingly generous with favours.

Hope they make Bestival work.

Tight, he's beyond tight. When he first started he didn't want to pay local crew rates so he took his own (underpaid) crew with him to venues across the north, he must have been saving £30 but driving from Warrington to Liverpool and then on to Leeds for example for a 7am load in, he must have been getting up at 4am

As I remember it Simon's sense of humour was rather... unique

Its all a part of what made him so succesful

On 24/11/2018 at 09:29, bickster said:

Tight, he's beyond tight.

We didn't get into him much. We were mostly happy in our own circles and were quite happy to blag directly if need be?  Though there was always a couple of shows in the year where you knew no one.

Seriously, he was the ultimate ticket fairy godmother. 

We used to fax him requests, as you could almost hear the wringing of hands in the background if you rang him? :)

Always AAA, even at other promoter's gigs, even when he told you he couldn't do it, you'd get a message saying your name would be on the door.

Even more surprising - He continued to help out for a long spell after it was professionally courteous for him to do so. 

Stopped asking after a bit. My job changed and I was expected to go see lots of Indie bands. Gigs felt like work and I started avoiding them in my spare time.

Until that point, Simon had got me into every show asked of him.

I'm aware that this isn't a typical SM encounter story :D

1 hour ago, Xann said:

We didn't get into him much. We were mostly happy in our own circles and were quite happy to blag directly if need be?  Though there was always a couple of shows in the year where you knew no one.

Seriously, he was the ultimate ticket fairy godmother. 

We used to fax him requests, as you could almost hear the wringing of hands in the background if you rang him? :)

Always AAA, even at other promoter's gigs, even when he told you he couldn't do it, you'd get a message saying your name would be on the door.

Even more surprising - He continued to help out for a long spell after it was professionally courteous for him to do so. 

Stopped asking after a bit. My job changed and I was expected to go see lots of Indie bands. Gigs felt like work and I started avoiding them in my spare time.

Until that point, Simon had got me into every show asked of him.

I'm aware that this isn't a typical SM encounter story :D

I had a weird relationship with him, he didn't particularly like me but he also knew I had a certain influence and was a good friend of some of his tour reps and loyal staffers. We used to bump into each other back stage at various events, always got on, on the surface but I just knew...

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

This week's London gigs:

1966 stylee...

Ds1oqwpWsAAsYY_.jpg

Hang on a minute... Beatles at the Roundhouse, six months after they quit touring? Cream's 1969 'farewell' show in 1966? Fairport Convention a year before they formed? etc. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Hang on a minute... Beatles at the Roundhouse, six months after they quit touring? Cream's 1969 'farewell' show in 1966? Fairport Convention a year before they formed? etc. 

think the only time they played the Roundhouse was the Carnival of light  thingy in 67

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I feared I'd been scammed, a quick google cross check suggests a typo, '68 not '66.

Cream, Beach Boys and Pink Floyd dates all check out as '68's, haven't checked the others.

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Using my special powers , I predict the answer will be “Gig of the year “ 

Someone has been looking at my Instagram 😀

But yeah, @PieFacE i thought they were **** magnificent. Really, really energetic and enjoyable performance and blimey did they get that place moving!

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 14:14, rjw63 said:

They seem to be very Marmite, a lot of older types don't like 'em because they sound a bit like Zeppelin.

Personally I think that's great

Heard some band on the radio the other week, and thought  for one moment it was an unreleased zep song, that Jimmy Page releases every now and again. Turns out it was the band you are going to see. 

Â