The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

On 30/07/2018 at 20:48, Davkaus said:

The UK portion of Iron Maiden's Legacy of the Beast tour starts tomorrow.

Standing tickets for the NEC sold out before I could get one, I have to go to a wedding on the dates of the O2 gigs so tomorrow I'm setting off on a 3.5 hour drive to Newcastle, going mental, having a few bottles of Trooper, crashing in the closest hotel, then driving home at 5am to get to work on Wednesday.

And I bet it'll be worth it. 

How was it? Got a standing ticket for Tuesday (sorry!) - seen them plenty of times but will always find an excuse for another show ?

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

How was it? Got a standing ticket for Tuesday (sorry!) - seen them plenty of times but will always find an excuse for another show ?

The show itself was incredible. Bruce was on point - I wasn't sure his voice was still up for Aces High and Where Eagles dare but he nailed them. Really exciting set, quite a few in there they haven't performed in  nearly a couple of decades. the art and stage set pieces were all top notch too.

Clansman was a personal highlight, mostly due to me being surrounded by a bunch of Scots, they all went mental.

Killswitch Engage put on a good enough show as a warm up act, I  guess.They're not for me though, too shouty and angry.

**** ever driving to Newcastle and back in 24 hours to watch a gig, though, never again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The show itself was incredible. Bruce was on point - I wasn't sure his voice was still up for Aces High and Where Eagles dare but he nailed them. Really exciting set, quite a few in there they haven't performed in  nearly a couple of decades. the art and stage set pieces were all top notch too.

Clansman was a personal highlight, mostly due to me being surrounded by a bunch of Scots, they all went mental.

Killswitch Engage put on a good enough show as a warm up act, I  guess.They're not for me though, too shouty and angry.

**** ever driving to Newcastle and back in 24 hours to watch a gig, though, never again.

That’s cool, Maiden do tend to mix it up quite a lot! Still waiting for a “Seventh Son” tour though and would have thought the 30 year anniversary would have been a good shout...

Killswitch Engage I’ve been a fan of since they broke through (2002/3?) but was a little surprised to see them support Maiden, not sure how the fans would take to them as very different style!

And yeah, that drive to Newcastle is nuts. I’ve done it before but not for a gig. I also split it stopping overnight but that is bloody crazy! 

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

That’s cool, Maiden do tend to mix it up quite a lot! Still waiting for a “Seventh Son” tour though and would have thought the 30 year anniversary would have been a good shout...

Killswitch Engage I’ve been a fan of since they broke through (2002/3?) but was a little surprised to see them support Maiden, not sure how the fans would take to them as very different style!

And yeah, that drive to Newcastle is nuts. I’ve done it before but not for a gig. I also split it stopping overnight but that is bloody crazy! 

I have seen Killswitch Engage with Jesse, with Howard and with Jesse again, always enjoyable but preferred them during their initial period with Jesse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have seen Killswitch Engage with Jesse, with Howard and with Jesse again, always enjoyable but preferred them during their initial period with Jesse.

Yeah AOJB is definitely their best work and I prefer the Jesse later albums. Never got a chance to see Jesse live first time round though as first proper tour here (I think) Howard was already on board. Howard was fine, but Jesse is definitely the voice of KSE.

18 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Yeah AOJB is definitely their best work and I prefer the Jesse later albums. Never got a chance to see Jesse live first time round though as first proper tour here (I think) Howard was already on board. Howard was fine, but Jesse is definitely the voice of KSE.

Correct, I think they came over here with 36 Crazyfists and Howard Jones was with them then. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Correct, I think they came over here with 36 Crazyfists and Howard Jones was with them then. 

Yep, I believe Academy 2 in Digbeth if my memory serves me well! 

• Like 1

Rare advance notice of a gig by Llwybr Llaethog, this Thursday.

Gigs are few and far between one offs and usually the contrary bastards like to announce them as they are doing the sound check.

I'm in Northampton on Thursday, but I'll be getting back for this, I've never yet managed to see them, so this won't be missed.

I won the tour man

On 04/08/2018 at 19:35, Davkaus said:

I've just been told I need to go to Coventry (I know) on Tuesday.

The Tuesday that Maiden are at the NEC. **** it. I'm going to see them again. :D 

So you in “Coventry” at the moment then?! 

Saw Maiden on Tuesday thanks to my mate who had a spare ticket. Fantastic show - Bruce(*) really went all out with his costumes this time (positively Peter Gabriel-esque at times)

The stage and props were amazing, the band were flying, the set list was sensational and it was just all-round brilliant. And to top it all of it was Bruce(*)'s 60th birthday. How he has that much energy still I doubt anyone will be able to ever adequately explain.

* (not Steve)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Saw Maiden on Tuesday thanks to my mate who had a spare ticket. Fantastic show - Bruce(*) really went all out with his costumes this time (positively Peter Gabriel-esque at times)

The stage and props were amazing, the band were flying, the set list was sensational and it was just all-round brilliant. And to top it all of it was Bruce(*)'s 60th birthday. How he has that much energy still I doubt anyone will be able to ever adequately explain.

* (not Steve)

Maiden never fail to impress - even the Bayley tracks were good (even if surprising!) 

Still waiting for the Seventh Son whole album tour though... 

Seatwave and Getmein to be shut down in October

Ticketmaster even tried to make  it to sound like it wasn't them that's been ripping people off left right and centre for years when they made the announcement

I'm sure they will find a new way to fleece us all though ....

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Seatwave and Getmein to be shut down in October

Ticketmaster even tried to make  it to sound like it wasn't them that's been ripping people off left right and centre for years when they made the announcement

I'm sure they will find a new way to fleece us all though ....

You only get ripped off, if you are prepared to be ripped off. No one makes you buy overpriced tickets

At least you haven't been to see someone shite, I do fear what you post in this topic :crylaugh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

You only get ripped off, if you are prepared to be ripped off. No one makes you buy overpriced tickets

At least you haven't been to see someone shite, I do fear what you post in this topic :crylaugh:

you got free tickets for the Bunnymen the over week and they were still over priced so that negates your argument :P

I don't pay their prices , it was more that you get ripped off in that tickets have sold out 12 seconds after they officially went on sale and were then miraculously available on Getmein after 13 seconds .. in theory that should end and fans will sell to fans at a fair price ...as per Twickets

Suede in October is my next gig .. I'll await your merriment in the Autumn :)

Â