1. 1. Do you believe in God

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont give a shit

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do.......I didn't used to.... because I was bought up by Agnostics and was never baptised or anything.

Always loved nature since I was a little girl and I'm afraid I could never reconcile the beauty and the complexity in nature and the natural world,with evolution and there being no creator.

Actually to my surprise as I grew up I learned that even Darwin who started the theory of evolution believed in a Creator, he never said that he didn't beleive in God. Just over time other's made their minds up that the theory of evolution explained away any existence or need for a "Creator"

So yes I do believe in God and the Bible says his name is Jehovah, which in ancient Hebrew means.... "He causes to become"

Thats a pretty good 'God' definition, dont you think?

No, because the word god is overloaded with a sense of purpose.

Stuff does just appear out of "nothing" even within our universe, by extension all the stuff required to cause the big bang could just appear. The only unanswerable is what did it appear INTO. That doesn't describe anything recognisable as god.

Reminded me of this:

Atheism.jpg

Ugh. Not directed at you, Rev, but that kinda things just highlights ignorance, thats ridiculously simplified, and worse, people will take it as (heh) gospel.

But yes, it's a counter to this, for anyone who's unaware...

christianity.jpg

Which is nearly as bad.

Yes I do.......I didn't used to.... because I was bought up by Agnostics and was never baptised or anything.

Always loved nature since I was a little girl and I'm afraid I could never reconcile the beauty and the complexity in nature and the natural world,with evolution and there being no creator.

Actually to my surprise as I grew up I learned that even Darwin who started the theory of evolution believed in a Creator, he never said that he didn't beleive in God. Just over time other's made their minds up that the theory of evolution explained away any existence or need for a "Creator"

So yes I do believe in God and the Bible says his name is Jehovah, which in ancient Hebrew means.... "He causes to become"

Darwin was Church of England, he slowly turned away from religion during his life. He described himself as an Agnostic and even grew a certain disdain for religion and it's teachings, according to many historians.

What or Who makes people do the right thing ?

Social conditioning.

The idea that it is better for everyone and therefore better for yourself if you do the "right thing".

It was learnt by many species (not just humans) over their different evolution paths that cooperation improves your chances of survival and now it is so ingrained it is instinctual.

Social conditioning.

The idea that it is better for everyone and therefore better for yourself if you do the "right thing".

It was learnt by many species (not just humans) over their different evolution paths that cooperation improves your chances of survival and now it is so ingrained it is instinctual.

exactly,

just watch a documentary on primates and how they behave, there is a basic society there and whilst they don't have such complex developments as we do. Amongst them you can see they know between right and wrong, good and bad.

Social conditioning.

So why do some do the wrong thing ?

Is it a personal choice to listen to the voice or not ? or is it that some hear a different voice.

People don't always do "the right thing".

If you are asking where our morality comes from - it evolved as we evolved.

A common morality has survival benefits.

if a monkey is near a fire, he will soon learn fire is "bad" when he tried and grabs it and feels pain. He will remember that "fire hurts, therefore is a negative".

Monkey also knows that bananas are a "good thing" because they taste nice and stops his tummy hurting. So it must be good.

However monkey does know that if he eats bannanas that are on the floor and not on the trees, he may find his tummy doesnt like those bananas and he poops everywhere and makes a mess. So he knows that the bananas on the tree must be better.

and times that by everything it does and it will soon learn pretty quick.

We were just lucky enough to be the species that evolved. I love my thumbs.

Julie, don't mean to be confrontational here - just interested in your pov.

You say you can't reconcile evolution with the complexity of nature. However this is exactly what evolutionary theory allows us to - it explains in a simple yet brilliant way how the complexity of life arose as we see it today. Have you ever asked yourself, for example, why there are thousands of different species of beetle? Did god just love making beetles, or is there another reason?

Have you read about evolution or studied it in any way in an attempt to understand a bit better? There is masses of information freely available that can explain it to you. Once you understand how evolution works, the pieces all fall into place. There is absolutely no reason why complexity in nature cannot be squared with evolution.

All species evolved.

Social conditioning.

So why do some do the wrong thing ?

Is it a personal choice to listen to the voice or not ? or is it that some hear a different voice.

Generally accepted codes of moral standards exist in our societies - this will differ from culture to culture.

However, just because an accepted moral code exists doesn't mean that all individuals will adhere to it or have the exact same moral standards.

The fact that some people do good things and some do bad things is not supporting evidence for the existence of gods/devils.

The Bible is wrong, I know this is Wikipedia and so cant be 100% trusted, but its more or less my understanding from studying the subject

Because the name was no longer pronounced and its own vowels were not written, its own pronunciation was forgotten. When Christians, unaware of the Jewish tradition, started to read the Hebrew Bible, they read יְהֹוָה as written with YHWH's consonants with Adonai's vowels, and thus said or transcribed Iehovah. Today this transcription is generally recognized as mistaken; however many religious groups continue to use the form Jehovah because it is familiar.

the reason why the name wasnt pronounced is that it was considered too sacred to say, and its possible that the letters YHWH, from which the Elohim Yahweh and ultimately Jehovah derive were jsut a jumble of letters used because the person originally writing them darent write the 'true' name of God, known only to a select few.

As fo rthe meaning

In Exodus chapter 3 verses 13:16 the name Yahweh is explained thus:

But Moses said to God, "If I come to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your ancestors has sent me to you', and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"

God said to Moses, "I am who I am. [Ehyeh asher ehyeh, אהיה אשר אהיה]"

He said further, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ' "I am [Ehyeh, אהיה ]" has sent me to you.'"

God also said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, 'He is [(or similar), Yahweh, ׳הוה], the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you': This is my name forever, and this my title for all generations.

Mishearings and misunderstandings of this explanation has led to a popular idea that "Yahweh" means "I am", resulting in God, and by colloquial extension sometimes anything which is very dominant in its area [11], being called "the great I AM".

Another possibility according to the Complete Jewish Bible by author David H. Stern, proposes that the Tetragrammaton be pronounced letter for letter in Hebrew and that the name of God should be rendered by spelling out the four letters, "Yud He Vav He", the meaning assumed to be "I am that I am" or "I am Who I am", as revealed to Moses in the Torah (Exodus 3:14).

All species evolved.

Sorry my mistake, what I meant to say was evolved at a much faster rate, especially where social development and interaction is concerned.

I don't read my posts half the time, especially when I am trying to type as fast as I think. Which also leads to typos.

But I assume the people reading it can work out what I am trying to say, but in the case of the mistake you pointed out, I stupidly left out an entire sentence. Arrrrrrrgh.

I seek forgivness in the video below

Â