Do you believe in God ?

Ballybunion_Ice

Do you believe in God  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont give a shit

Interestingly, religion may have been what pushed us forward, but now it is what is holding us back. Is that an indictment of religion, or those that control it? In the past we've proven that we're not scared to drop religions when they cease to be relevant, there's many that have died out, yet today we seem tied to the current ones, with little chance of progress from them?

people will always strive to find an explanation for that 'something', that feeling within, that sense of awe, of calm, of wonder at the world, that sense of you like, of 'spirituality' that transcends normal existence, that cannot be explained by any rational argument or observable facts

if people choose to externalise that, and most people do seem to feel that need, then there will always be religion. i think thats their loss. I'm sure they would counter that by saying that my lack of faith is my loss

As long as we can live together without ripping each other's heads off then its all good.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intelligence the result of creation? Where did you get that from?

You when you said:

No. The evidence of God existing is still here to be seen. Its everything around me. Its objects, feelings, intelligence. The evidence of things being created, is right there infront of my eyes.

I don't think I needed to be there, when this computer was built, or designed, to know that it was built and designed.

Understand me at all?

If you're pointing out intelligence as a reason for God existing it must be because God is the only way to explain intelligence. Especially when you go on about things being build or designed.

If intelligence didn't NEED to be created or designed, it's not evidence of a God, neither is any other mental attribute, feelings, emotions, everything, if intelligence didn't need to be created, neither did any of those.

Therefore, elaborating on your own stance, if intelligence is a sign of the existence of God, it's also evidence that either a: God is stupid, or b: cannot possibly exist. There is no c where God exists and is intelligent.

Now, the fact that the only "acts of God" we experience are the mass murders of thousands of people, and I can't remember the last time people miraculously survived anything, then I'm more than a little tempted to align myself with option a.

Bear in mind here I'm not trying to disprove the existance of God (I can't do that, no matter how much I wish I could) I'm merely highlighting the MASSIVE holes in your "evidence" of his existance.

Now for the big one, intelligence CANNOT have been created, and I have 100% bona fide proof of that. Your "creator" must have had it. If intelligence is the result of creation, then the thing that created intelligence was, wait for it, UNINTELLIGENT. Now, as intelligence is simply "the ability to comprehend", and to make something you have to comprehend what you are doing, you have to understand the process you're carrying out, a creator, by definition HAS TO have intelligence.

So, unless you believe intelligence can have occurred by chance, in which case you cannot rule out everything else occurring by chance, your God was either a big dummy or doesn't exist.

Didn't God supposedly create man in his own image? So if man was created as an intelligent being, then it was because God was intelligent?

Signed: D. Advocat.

Yeah but he created animals too, so he is a piglet?

Funneh, except teh Bible does not say that he created them in his own image.

it also bases the creation of everything around earth.

Funny how we base the existence of god around the planet we conveniently live on.

our solar system is NOT the centre of the universe and the centre of all that exists.

But a lot of religious texts base the origins of god around our earth. Why is that?

As long as we can live together without ripping each other's heads off then its all good.

:crylaugh:

unfortunately our belief in Gods and differing opinions on how we got to exist can NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER (repeat to end) happen.

Now for the big one, intelligence CANNOT have been created, and I have 100% bona fide proof of that. Your "creator" must have had it. If intelligence is the result of creation, then the thing that created intelligence was, wait for it, UNINTELLIGENT. Now, as intelligence is simply "the ability to comprehend", and to make something you have to comprehend what you are doing, you have to understand the process you're carrying out, a creator, by definition HAS TO have intelligence.

So, unless you believe intelligence can have occurred by chance, in which case you cannot rule out everything else occurring by chance, your God was either a big dummy or doesn't exist.

Didn't God supposedly create man in his own image? So if man was created as an intelligent being, then it was because God was intelligent?

Signed: D. Advocat.

Yeah but he created animals too, so he is a piglet?

Funneh, except teh Bible does not say that he created them in his own image.

it also bases the creation of everything around earth.

Funny how we base the existence of god around the planet we conveniently live on.

our solar system is NOT the centre of the universe and the centre of all that exists.

But a lot of religious texts base the origins of god around our earth. Why is that?

because when it was written we didn't know the Universe existed.

I just thought of a massive point.

Many musicians believe stongly in God. They thank God for helping them gain success.

If he is the creator of all that is, and ever will be. Do they have to pay him royalties?

If I went down to Ladbrokes tomorrow, and asked for their odds on an organised religion one day creating a system which would see a percentage of the money religiously-influenced artists go to the church,

would I be a mental?

Many musicians believe stongly in God. They thank God for helping them gain success.

If he is the creator of all that is, and ever will be. Do they have to pay him royalties?

You're right that is massive. Quick, copyright it!

If I went down to Ladbrokes tomorrow, and asked for their odds on an organised religion one day creating a system which would see a percentage of the money religiously-influenced artists go to the church,

would I be a mental?

no, but they would look at you as though you were one.

would be interesting to ask someone in the bookies who was wearing a cross or other religious symbol. Would put them in a pretty awkward situation.

Considering, we are an insignificant dot on the edge of an insignificant galaxy under the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt we are important to any omnipotent being.

Â