The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm sure I have already mentioned it in this thread, however I would like to recommend 'The American' again. It's slow at times, yet is overall a good film in my opinion. Plus the Italian lady in it is rather stunning.

I'm not sure why it took so long to come out over here. I saw it when I was on holiday in the States two months ago. Anyone have any idea why it is being released so long after over here?

I'm not sure why it took so long to come out over here. I saw it when I was on holiday in the States two months ago. Anyone have any idea why it is being released so long after over here?

Because they are worried it wont make any money.

They are right.

Your average chav will last 5 mins with a film like this.

They are making it out to be a full blown action film from the tv ads which is amusing.

Good though.

Really interested in the American, have been since Eberts review a while back, which was pretty gushing about it.

Got a feeling Corbijn could end up being a properly good director. Control was a spectacular debut and the American is by most accounts brilliant.

Just watched 'Bubba Ho Tep' again last night.... Great film!

The sequel Bubba Nosferatu is out next year. Ron Perlman and Paul Giamatti are cast, but there's no Bruce Campbell :(

Yeah, he was about to reprise his role but after an altercation with the director (also his friend) he decided to leave instead of falling out.

A real shame, it was him that carried the film :(

Just watched 'Bubba Ho Tep' again last night.... Great film!

The sequel Bubba Nosferatu is out next year. Ron Perlman and Paul Giamatti are cast, but there's no Bruce Campbell :(

Had no idea there was going to be a sequel. :o

The lack of Bruce is a downer though. :(

I watched The American, it's pretty damn boring with little payoff and doesn't even feel original.

Why does it have to be original?

The American is a great throw back to 70s spy/conspiracy flicks, its an adult film a slow burning character study with some great subtle performances.

Looks great too.

As said earlier though, the trailer makes it looks like a full blown action flick, the chavs or anyone expecting that are going to be very very disappointed.

I watched The American, it's pretty damn boring with little payoff and doesn't even feel original.

Why does it have to be original?

The American is a great throw back to 70s spy/conspiracy flicks, its an adult film a slow burning character study with some great subtle performances.

Looks great too.

As said earlier though, the trailer makes it looks like a full blown action flick, the chavs or anyone expecting that are going to be very very disappointed.

This. If you have seen 'Control' then you will know what to expect. It looks fantastic visually and it is a good character study. I will be honest in saying that at one or two points it did wander off aimlessly. However, I think it was roped back in and thoroughly enjoyed it overall. I may go and see it again this weekend being that it has been three months since I last saw it.

i think the general consesus is style over substance, and I can't be arsed with that. If you want 70s conspiracy films, go watch All The Presidents Men.
Or Three Days of the Condor.

Â