The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just saw this trailer, looks interesting.

Loved Brick, but really didn't think much of The Brothers Bloom. So hopefully this will be a return to form for Rian Johnson.

340x_cargo.jpg

I watched Cargo, a swiss sci-fi thriller. I have a massive bone on for films set on space stations, so I liked this quite alot.

Very good film, that. :thumb:

Just got back from Cabin In The Woods, absolutely loved it.

Just saw this trailer, looks interesting.

Loved Brick, but really didn't think much of The Brothers Bloom. So hopefully this will be a return to form for Rian Johnson.

I like the look of that a lot.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is becoming one of my favourite actors I think.

I went to see 'The Cabin in the Woods' after work today and really enjoyed it. Nice new spin on the genre and is well worth checking out.

If you're a fan of the likes of 'The Evil Dead' and 'Drag Me to Hell' then I would say it is a must watch. Actually, if you're a fan of the horror genre in the slightest then I would recommend it.

It's not a perfect film by any means, yet is a nice fresh approach to a tired formula. The funny parts hit the spot (most of the time), it's a little gruesome and the whole voyeuristic approach works. It does spin a little bit out of control in the final act though. Anyway, it's a good bit of entertainment and if you're going to the cinema this weekend then I would say to go and see it.

The Hunger Games is a pile of whank. The supposed social commentary is nowhere near as effective as Battle Royale and the actual plot/premise is nowhere near as good as The Running Man .(It has none of the humor or character either.)

It's a watered down version of both movies aimed firmly at kids , and I dont mean teenagers , I'm talking junior school. I really can't see why it is such a critically acclaimed hit .?????

It's as biting a satire you are likely to get in 'play it safe' mainstream Hollywood, so the reaction is really for the attempt to say something more than anything. A bit like Inception pleased the critics because it cost a lot of money and wasn't, say, Transformers. Although I'll forever maintain that Michael Bay is just taking the piss.

Just watched Moneyball

It's worthy of the acclaim it's received, imo.

Fascinating and excellent.

Yup. It's agreat film. even if you don't care about baseball.

Agreed. I really couldn't give less of a shit about baseball.

Just watched Moneyball

It's worthy of the acclaim it's received, imo.

Fascinating and excellent.

Yup. It's agreat film. even if you don't care about baseball.

Agreed. I really couldn't give less of a shit about baseball.

Me neither. That's why I am a cubs fan .

Just a few weeks until The Avengers! :D

Had it's first screening last night, for online press and some LA critics.

Reaction? Almost universally positive, claims its the best Marvel film to date, and has a superb third act.

A few people have, apparently, leaked the identity of Loki's army, which apparently is

the Chitauri - which explains why no-one could identify them when they had the reveal last week, they've never been shown as themselves in the comics, only in other forms. This would also allow for why everyone seemed quite convinced they were the Skrull, but Whedon categorically said they were not Skrulls - the Chitauri are the Ultimates version of Skrulls, basically the same but a different name and look. However it does appear that they've been used as a pretty generic 'bad guy army' from comments so far... which is fair enough I guess. If they are Chitarui, it also means that Kevin Feige, the producer, threw a complete red herring when he said they'd be from another of the realms of Yggdrasil

And the post credit stinger sets up the next film, revealing a new character. It is apparently now an open secret who that is, but nobody thus far has completely straight up said who it is so open to some speculation.

Of the ensemble, Hulk is getting all the hype, by all accounts this film goes to the next level whenever Hulk has shit to do, which should have Hulk fanboys drooling since both Hulk films didn't quite manage to pull that off.

I like how it has been stated that it is pretty much a Marvel fans wet dream. I can't wait!

Indeed.

About the only negatives to have come out so far are that the 3D is, predictably, rubbish, and a couple of comments have suggested that the first 2 acts aren't quite the barn stormers that the 3rd is. But I'm ok with that, nobody has suggested it's 'bad' in any way.

A lot of comments have arisen about the humour too. People apparently dig it, which allays my fears that came from the Black Widow interrogation clip - it sounds like it plays better in the movie proper.

Very, very excited. I'm kinda surprised that so many people are hyping up the Hulk's part in all this, it sounds like some of the clips they've shown of him 'smashing' are just the tip of the iceberg.

HYPE!

I may take a stroll to the local picture house to watch this as I fancy seeing an OTT blockbuster and have been taken in by the hype. The problem is I haven't watched Thor, The Hulk or Captain America. I have only seen the first Iron Man film, is this likely to detract from my enjoyment/understanding of The Avengers?

The problem is I haven't watched Thor, The Hulk or Captain America. I have only seen the first Iron Man film, is this likely to detract from my enjoyment/understanding of The Avengers?

I doubt it . I enjoyed the Brad Pitt film "seven" even though I hadn't seen 1-6.

The problem is I haven't watched Thor, The Hulk or Captain America. I have only seen the first Iron Man film, is this likely to detract from my enjoyment/understanding of The Avengers?

I doubt it . I enjoyed the Brad Pitt film "seven" even though I hadn't seen 1-6.

I don't know, I've seen 'seven' but I missed 'eight' and then 'eight and a half' just made no sense at all.

They should have used the

I may take a stroll to the local picture house to watch this as I fancy seeing an OTT blockbuster and have been taken in by the hype. The problem is I haven't watched Thor, The Hulk or Captain America. I have only seen the first Iron Man film, is this likely to detract from my enjoyment/understanding of The Avengers?

Eh, I think seeing the origin films for the characters would be better than not. But I suspect you'd enjoy it more than enough if you went in blank, no doubt they will do some sort of recap at the start.

I would say, though, that all those are worth a look if you've got the time. They're all decent films, the weakest of the lot is Iron Man 2, and all of them are to 1 degree or another in some way disappointing (usually weak third acts, even the first Iron Man has that issue), but they are all good turn your brain off fun.

If you don't though, the things you'd want to know from each film that I can recall...

Thor - The old Nordic gods were in fact a race from another planet, Asgard, who could travel the universe (to other 'realms' of the World Tree, Yggdrasil) and appeared as gods to humans with their powers. Thor is destined to be the next king of Asgard, and his brother, Loki, resents him. It turns out that Loki is in fact an adopted brother, he's actually the son of some baddies, Frost Giants, which leads him to further jealousy. Thor is cast out of Asgard and stripped of power, for fostering war through vanity (and with Loki manipulating the entire thing), ends up on Earth, falls in love, is redeemed, regains his power and deals with Loki, who is lost to the void... but in doing so Thor cuts himself off from Earth forever.

Captain America - During World War 2 the Nazis sought to create a supersoldier, and half-**** it up, creating the Red Skull - a high ranking Nazi soldier turned into a superhuman but horribly disfigured. The Skull is obsessed with the occult and discovers the story of the jewel of Odins trophy room, the Tesseract - a cube with mystical powers. He finds it. Being so Nazi that not even the Nazis really want him he gets his own division and uses the cube to develop powerful weapons, eventually becoming so powerful he decides to go on his own with his army and ditch the Nazis. Meanwhile, the US decides to develop their own supersoldier, perfecting the original German formula and turning a feeble but noble young man into a supersoldier. He eventually stops the Skull (with help from his mates and his indestructible shield) but in the process crash lands in the Arctic and is frozen, only to be found in the modern day. The Tesseract also falls into the hands of the US, more specifically S.H.I.E.L.D. ...

Incredible Hulk - Bruce Banner becomes the Hulk in an experiment to perfect the super soldier serum once again. He goes on the run. He comes back seeking a cure. He doesn't get a cure. His girlfriends dad, his former boss, wants to capture him. He beats a baddie, and goes on the run again.

Iron Man 2 - Tony Stark becomes a nuisance for S.H.I.E.L.D., they help him out, he develops a new suit as his old one was killing him, it turns out S.H.I.E.L.D. had a brilliant female operative keeping an eye on him, who turns out to be Black Widow.

I think thats about all the grounding/details you need from each film, but as said ideally you'd have watched the films. But you should be alright.

Saying all that theres a distinct chance that even people who have seen all the films and know the comics inside out are going to miss bits and bobs in the film, Whedon is a big comic man and will be hurling nods to this and that throughout.

I don't know, I've seen 'seven' but I missed 'eight' and then 'eight and a half' just made no sense at all.

A sequel was planned

Ei8ht

Despite offering up an ending that didn't exactly scream for a follow-up, execs were desperate to repeat the success of the grim serial killer flick. Even director David Fincher said "I'd have less interest in that than I would in having cigarettes put out in my eyes." The original idea was to turn a script called Solace into the Seven sequel. It would have given Morgan Freeman's character clairvoyant abilities. That script is now going forward with Anthony Hopkins in the lead, unrelated to Seven.

Â