The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Witches (1990).

Genuinely one of the best children's films of all time, and may be better than the book its based on. It captures the big adventure in a small world, hidden magic of the ordinary world, quietly dark tone that many of the best kids stories have superbly, every performance (main kid aside, who is actually fine as a purely voice performance) is brilliant, it has the always next level Henson effects work, that great late 80s atmosphere and slightly manic production, and brilliant score.. It's absolutely fantastic.

And it's funny. And it's got it's own spooky moments, even as an adult - that opening is haunting even 30 years later.

Still brilliant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

The Witches (1990).

Genuinely one of the best children's films of all time, and may be better than the book its based on. It captures the big adventure in a small world, hidden magic of the ordinary world, quietly dark tone that many of the best kids stories have superbly, every performance (main kid aside, who is actually fine as a purely voice performance) is brilliant, it has the always next level Henson effects work, that great late 80s atmosphere and slightly manic production, and brilliant score.. It's absolutely fantastic.

And it's funny. And it's got it's own spooky moments, even as an adult - that opening is haunting even 30 years later.

Still brilliant.

I agree, it’s a brilliant kids film. We still go past the hotel every summer when in Newquay, Cornwall and the kids still say “dad is that the witches hotel?”. Not changed greatly from the outside and still very grand inside.

To be fair, most films touched with a bit of Jim Henson magic are watchable on a Sunday afternoon with the kids. He really was a genius of his time. 

Also notable is Anjelica Huston who is magnificent in The Witches and in full face prosthetics for a good portion of it which looks uncomfortable as hell

54 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i think the books are brilliant, if you enjoyed the film and enjoy reading, i would say a big fat yes.

I second this;at least the original series by Frank Herbert and not the abominations that his son and son's co-author have come out with.

• Like 1

love_on_the_ground.jpg

Love on the Ground  - A big mysterious house, a central mystery, supernatural elements, this had a lot of the hallmarks of a typical Rivette movie, it doesn't seem to be as well regarded as some of his others but I liked it a lot, Geraldine Chaplin and Jane Birkin are also good as the two main characters.

1301609.jpg

August in the Water - I saw this movie get a lot of rave reviews so decided to watch it, I agree that it's very good, to the point where I wondered why I hadn't heard of it before, reminded me in places of Apichatpong Weerasethakul, but it's got it's own feel, very dreamy.

tumblr_mdwx2ctdit1qehmh1o1_500.gifv

Lupin III: Castle Of Cagliostro -  First feature lenght film directed by Hayao Miyazaki, I thought that it was very good.

Edited by useless

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Another vote for Dune. First time in a cinema in about 2 years last night and couldn’t have picked a better film to break my duck. Absolutely beautiful. 

I'm going again tonight to see it in IMAX. Can't wait

• Like 1

the-innocents-1961.gif

The Innocents - Psychological thriller about a woman who takes a governess job for two orphans in a Victorian home. She begins to see what she believes are ghosts and suspects the children's bizarre behavior is the result of supernatural powers. - I enjoyed it, very atmospheric movie, and well written in the sense of the dialogue, which makes me want to read the Henry James story 'Turn of the Screw' from which the film is adapted.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, useless said:

the-innocents-1961.gif

The Innocents - Psychological thriller about a woman who takes a governess job for two orphans in a Victorian home. She begins to see what she believes are ghosts and suspects the children's bizarre behavior is the result of supernatural powers. - I enjoyed it, very atmospheric movie, and well written in the sense of the dialogue, which makes me want to read the Henry James story 'Turn of the Screw' from which the film is adapted.

My favourite version of Turn of the Screw. Very good film :thumb:

Â