The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

War Horse is worth seeing for Spielbergo's take on WWI. Bear in mind that it is a kids' film and it might not disappoint too much. I didn't enjoy it. :)

I've been told 'the others' is a good film,

It is a good film. You won't be leaving the landing light on at night after it but it's an enjoyable film and worth watching IMHO.

It has one of the most frightening scenes in film for me. Right up there with the woman in the bathroom in The Shining and the "pay-off" in El Orfanato .

Horrific. Worth watching for that alone.

The Shining is on one of the ITV channels tonight actually. Still one of the most disturbing and unsettling films I've ever seen. It's not really scary, it's just intensely uneasy to watch.

The Shining is on one of the ITV channels tonight actually. Still one of the most disturbing and unsettling films I've ever seen. It's not really scary, it's just intensely uneasy to watch.

Indeed. It's a masterpiece, a genuine one. The way each scene is constructed to instil dread and terror to absolute perfection with often very little "substance" is what makes it so. The fact that you're terrified yet you don't quite understand why you are left me so primed that a more "traditional" scare like the bathroom scene blew my head off.

It's utterly brilliant. Can't watch it tonight, need to sleep.

Couldn't agree more. It's so unsettling it sticks with you hours after you watch it.

Yep. It's actually my favourite ever film.

I don't think it's the best film by a long shot. But I just never tire of it. Action, comedy, romance, style, sci fi. What's not to like?

I feel the same about Aliens. Never get tired of watching it and myself and my friend can quote the entire script 3/4 seconds before any of the actors do. It's amusing and annoying for others in equal measure.

Still, some movies just click with people. I never tire of watching Commando, Arnie at his 80's cliche best.

Got Hugo downloaded and ready to watch when I fancy a night off Battlestar Galactica. Thoughts?

I know it's a tad off topic but will there ever be a TV show that ever comes close to BSG? It was at it's best when it was aired as it's parallels with Bush era USA and the war on Terror is what added that extra piece to the magic. Plus the exceptional cast, what an array of acting talent they assembled.

Utterly bleak and very depressing though. Sometimes it was hard to watch.

watched walk the line again tonight. The music is great and i love how they portray Mr Cash. 'Musical' films are slowly growing on me ever since i watched the boat that rocked which is one of my favourite films. Not too sure about this new 'Rock of ages' or whatever thats coming out, looks like it could be a flop.

i enjoyed crazy heart a lot more than i thought i would

rock of ages has been and gone, wanted to see it but went away on holiday the day before it came out and when i got back the cinema i go to had stopped showing it already

Got Hugo downloaded and ready to watch when I fancy a night off Battlestar Galactica. Thoughts?

will there ever be a TV show that ever comes close to BSG?

It's really good (I'm halfway through series 2), but it's not up there with the big two (Sopranos and The Wire) imo. Then again, nothing is. I'd put it on a par with 24 (1-4), Game of Thrones, The Shield, Deadwood, Prison Break (1-2), etc.

Too bad, the trailer makes it look really good...
Really? I saw the trailer and thought the film looked shit. Oh, a horse that's been through some tough times. Nothing about the trailer makes me want to watch that film about that horse. If anything, it convinced me to avoid it. Successfully, I might add.

Just finished The Descendants.

Clooney is typically brilliant.

I want to see that, though I'm fairly ambivalent towards Clooney. He can be very good when he's just being normal. But he can also be Clive-Owen levels of creep. I'm fairly confident that in The Descendants he'll be the former :)

Prestige is an excellent movie, but I felt so underwhelmed by the ending that it took a fair bit of the enjoyment away.

Agreed.

Warning: Spoiler Heavy

I quite liked the ending of the Prestige, I thought it was a masterstroke. It mirrors the art of most magic tricks, that when you learn the trick to the centre piece it's so simple it's very underwhelming, because you're hoping for more, you're hoping for a bit of magic, or some method of doing the trick that is so out there, it might as well be magic. The fact that the secret to Borden's transported man is given up/spoken about so many times throughout the film, and along with the characters, we, the audience don't want to believe it echoes the real world of magic. In addition Angiers version of the trick is developed using science, and he is viewed as the unethical magician in the end, but his lament about the only reason he did the trick was to see the look on the audiences faces is kind of heartbreaking. I personally feel the ending is misunderstood, and love the film....

I want to see that, though I'm fairly ambivalent towards Clooney. He can be very good when he's just being normal. But he can also be Clive-Owen levels of creep. I'm fairly confident that in The Descendants he'll be the former :)

In my opinion, Clooney's performance was the best bit of The Descendants.

It's not a bad film at all, but I don't think it's anything special. Clooney is excellent in it though, and I think the good reception the film got was down to him more than the actual film, if that makes sense.

What I mean is, I enjoyed it, it was decent enough. But it isn't an excellent film, despite an excellent performance.

In my opinion, Clooney's performance was the best bit of The Descendants.

It's not a bad film at all, but I don't think it's anything special. Clooney is excellent in it though, and I think the good reception the film got was down to him more than the actual film, if that makes sense.

What I mean is, I enjoyed it, it was decent enough. But it isn't an excellent film, despite an excellent performance.

I thought it was a great film but quite depressing. Really enjoyed it.

Â