The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Carnage

basically Jodie Foster, John C Reilly, Winslet and Christophe Waltz verbally sparring with each other for 1 hour 15 minutes....

it was a play originally which is why the film is all dialogue...

one of my favourite films is Glenagarry Glen Ross (also based on a play) so im always intrigued to watch other adaptations...

i found it very gripping actually and every actor was superb particularly Foster

Watched Die Hard for the thousandth time tonight since it was on. Timeless, although it felt weird not watching it at Christmas since it truly is one of the best Christmas movies of all time, up there with A Muppet's Christmas Carol.

Whoever it was that recommended 'The Station Agent' all I want to say is thank you. Fantastic film. I also have now developed an attraction to Patricia Clarkson.

Went to see 'Brave' when I was over in the States and I really enjoyed it. It was a little too silly at times, yet I enjoyed the comedy elements to it for the most part. Plus the visuals were stunning, as expected from Pixar. It doesn't have the same weight as 'Up', although I think it flows better as a whole. Some very familiar elements are used throughout from old Disney films and they work for the most part.

Well worth seeing if you like animation and Pixar in particular.

Watched Die Hard for the thousandth time tonight since it was on. Timeless, although it felt weird not watching it at Christmas since it truly is one of the best Christmas movies of all time, up there with A Muppet's Christmas Carol.

Watched it last night too, still great, and the MCC is the best Christmas film EVER!

Watched project x last night, really funny in parts and made me desperate for a house party!

That was my reaction to it.

As a film it's actually not that good.

But that didn't stop me really enjoying it and becoming obsessed with going to a house party

3 films this weekend:

Snow White and the huntsman. Thought it was quite good. Not a masterpiece but decent. Though it's quite obvious that Stewart got the part more because of all those Twilight movies and her look than because of her acting skills. Still, 6.5/10. Theron is quite nice to rest your eyes on.

MI4: Ghost protocol. I liked it. It was entertaining and enough action. I know most on here dislikes Tom Cruise, but I think he's done many very good films. This wasn't among the best, but good enough. And Paula Patton ain't half ugly. 7.5/10.

The darkest hour. Well, the less said the better. Disappointed with Joel Kinnaman. He'd done some good movies here in Sweden, but he really took the first chance to get to Hollywood. Should've let this one be. 2/10.

I watched blu ray Close Encounters 'special edition'. I hadn't seen this version before, nor on blu ray. It wasn't one of the best examples of the format, in all honestly. They took out the scene where the guy runs around the gardens tearing up wire and plants and chucks them through the kitchen window, in order to make his model of Devil's Tower. Which is a shame cos I like that scene.

Then they added a scene that shows *gasp* the interior of the mothership when Roy enters!!! It was completely pointless, as it turns out. They were the only major differences I noticed.

Going to watch The Woman in Black tonight...

it's taking me a lot to watch it....

i've never been able to watch a whole film all the way through starring Daniel Radcliffe...

let's see if i can tolerate his appalling acting in this one!

Comic Con is coming up in a couple of weeks which means loads of stuff about movies that are coming up (and not necessarily just comic movies either - they tend to use it as a place to announce/promote pretty much anything that has a bit of a scifi/fantasy/'geek' following) will start to come out.

If you're a fan of the Marvel films, a lot of stuff is going to be announced/shown/promoted. Marvel are apparently keen to maintain a 2 film a year production cycle for the next 'Phase' of their cinematic universe (the films leading up to the Avengers being consider 'Phase 1'), and we already know that that is starting next year with Iron Man 3, and Thor 2, the former of which is already filming, and then Cap 2 in 2014 (and all of these 3 films have release dates already which is kinda mental), and Avengers 2 in 2015 is a near certainty.

But no-ones sure what is being released with Cap in 2014. And Marvel's President who is pushing the movies hard, is one record saying they've got 2 unannounced projects to come. He's hinted at doing Ant-Man, which Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright really wants to do (though is now doing the next film with Pegg and Frost for release next year). And he's also been hinting at wanting to a Marvel 'space epic'.

A few sites have today thought they've stumbled on at least what one of those unannounced projects are, and it's the 'Space Epic'. They reckon Marvel are going to do a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. And they plan to use that film to expand on and introduce Thanos, the villain who cameos at the end of the Avengers movie, to set him up as the villain for the next Avengers film proper.

If that is true, Marvel have either gone mental, or are so confident in their plans it'll be mad but like nothing else in comic book movies. The Guardians of the Galaxy are a team of really low rent Marvel heroes. One of their number is a **** raccoon that is handy with all types of firearms, and swears a lot. Another one is an Ent, basically. And all the others that have been associated with that team are shit too.

Rocket_Raccoon_002.jpg

The suggestion also appears to be that they'll chuck in a character that has appeared alongside the Guardians, Nova, who is basically a space copper with a few superpowers.

If thats true... well... it'll be a bit different to whats gone before it. Makes sense if you want to set up Thanos in such a way that the fanboys won't go mental, but I can't help thinking its a really hard sell to most audiences.

I kinda hope it's true just to see what the hell they'd come up with...

As for the other unannounced project, best bets appear to be Ant-Man or Dr Strange. Dr Strange might be fun, it'd be like watching a Tool video on high quality LSD if done properly. Or the star gate sequence from 2001.

Me neither, but I really would like to see them try. It'd be hilarious. There would be no middle ground - raging success for how utterly different it was, or complete unmitigated disaster, the type of disaster spoken of in hushed tones in Hollywood. Howard the Duck-esque, perhaps, especially if they really did put in Rocket Raccoon.

The other front runner for the other unannounced project is Black Panther. Which could work (and it'd be nice to see a film focusing on a relatively unknown character, and moreover a black hero), but they'd have to try very hard to stop people going 'Hang on... this is Batman...'.

Me neither, but I really would like to see them try. It'd be hilarious. There would be no middle ground - raging success for how utterly different it was, or complete unmitigated disaster, the type of disaster spoken of in hushed tones in Hollywood. Howard the Duck-esque, perhaps, especially if they really did put in Rocket Raccoon.

If they did do it, I'd rather it be completely removed from the MCU, it'd bring the whole lot down!

The other front runner for the other unannounced project is Black Panther. Which could work (and it'd be nice to see a film focusing on a relatively unknown character, and moreover a black hero), but they'd have to try very hard to stop people going 'Hang on... this is Batman...'.

I think I read somewhere that there was a Black Panther easter egg in one of the movies, but I've not looked into it. I think it was supposedly on one of the screens when Fury is talking to Stark about him not being approved for the Avengers Initiative thing.

but they'd have to try very hard to stop people going 'Hang on... this is Batman...'.

And this is why I don't see a Cable movie ever being done. People would just be "Is this Terminator 5?" :(

Â