The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

outone3-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Out 1: Spectre (Jacques Rivette) - Shorter recut of Noli Me Tangere, edited with the intention of it being it's own film, enjoyed it a lot, but I prefer the longer version

Edited by useless

Close Range, starring Scott Adkins: I haven't laughed so much in ages!

Great fight choreography, everyone's a lousy shot and the ammo rarely runs out.

More ham than a deli-counter but great entertainment.

The only question is whether Scott, who was born in Sutton Coldfield, is a Villa fan?

Saltburn - WTF was that about. Some seriously gross scenes and god just a house where you want everyone to be blown to smithereens. Different, but not a film I have inclination to watch again. 2 hours in the company of that **** psycho and the others was quite enough

22 hours ago, Rodders said:

Saltburn - WTF was that about. Some seriously gross scenes and god just a house where you want everyone to be blown to smithereens. Different, but not a film I have inclination to watch again. 2 hours in the company of that **** psycho and the others was quite enough

Thought it was interesting until it got silly, some great characters but then all of a sudden they we're lost in the plot twist.

On 16/01/2024 at 16:37, MakemineVanilla said:

Forgive me father for I have sinned!

This week I watched three Jason Statham films, all with the same basic plot - kid in danger, bent cops, massive retribution.

I loved every minute! 🫣

Don't think I've ever seen anything with him in it. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't think I've ever seen anything with him in it. 

I hadn't either but after I'd made sure my expectations were set low, I found I quite liked it.

These dark and chilly winter months need something not too challenging, and I'd temporarily run out of noir.

• Like 1

Ooh Citizen Cane is on BBC four.

Considering he’s not quite a household name, Joseph Cotten really did have quite the set of films in his CV. Not film related but I saw him in an episode of Alfred Hitchcock presents (this episode directed by Hitch himself) “Breakdown”. In its own way, that was a fairly nightmarish watch.

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Enyedi_My_20th_Century__photo_2_c_Istvan

My Twentieth Century (Ildikó Enyedi) - I enjoyed this, looks very striking, lots of enchanting imagery, nice soundtrack, good lead performance from Dorota Segda

Oh, that looks up my street. Where did you see it? 

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Thought it was interesting until it got silly, some great characters but then all of a sudden they we're lost in the plot twist.

I loved the film but my one criticism would be that twist wasn’t really a twist. I thought it was quite obvious what was happening throughout 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I loved the film but my one criticism would be that twist wasn’t really a twist. I thought it was quite obvious what was happening throughout 

I expected one 'twist' after that, for me, it went into a sort of comedy mode and felt rushed, trying to fit all the 'twists' in. Some great scenes in it though, loved the house and the family scenes of Upper class dysfunctionality.

The film had great potential but......really?

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Stating a film has a twist should count as a spoiler.

A twist is always far more effective when completley unexpected.

didn't @Stevo985 say it wasn't a twist though  , so now when it comes it will be completely unexpected :D 

On 17/01/2024 at 00:53, Stevo985 said:

For the benefit of nobody, here are the movies I've watched so far this year and my ratings (out of a possible 5 stars)

Saltburn - 4
Train to Busan - 3.5
Do the Right Thing - 4
When Evil Lurks - 4
Toy Story 4 - 3
Society of the Snow - 4
The Holdovers - 4
Killers of the Flower Moon - 4.5
Monsters Inc - 3.5

If you're doing .5s, your marks are out of 10

:rant:

• Like 2

On 15/01/2024 at 01:08, Pongo Waring said:

Also watched Killers of the Flower Moon...
Such a brilliant story, well acted, but it really didn't need to be 3 hours 20 minutes long. Come on Martin. If this was 1 hour shorter and had a greater score, this could of been a masterpiece. 
3.5/5

I've read the book and a 3 hr 20 min run time and he kinda rushed the ending a little for my liking 

It was a decent film , but its another one I'd put up there with Oppenheimer in that once you've seen it , you'll have no desire to watch it again 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Stating a film has a twist should count as a spoiler.

A twist is always far more effective when completley unexpected.

I agree to be fair but the cat was out of the bag

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

If you're doing .5s, your marks are out of 10

:rant:

I agree but I do it on Letterboxd and they only give the options to rate out of 5 stars

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree to be fair but the cat was out of the bag

Yeah, it wasn’t specifically aimed at your post but it just reminded me that’s it’s something people tend to do quite regularly without a second thought.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 17:37, Follyfoot said:

Booked for the Beekeeper tomorrow funnily enough 🤣

So he is just like us then? 

no , you are tier one operators from the best of Delta and navy seals, so to him, you are all pussies 

🥳🥳🥳🥳

Â