The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Curiosity got the better of me as I’ve been reading the books, so I tried “The Dark Tower” tonight. 

What a mess. It’s like they gave the title and character names to a writer and asked him to guess what the story was

Terrible

Dreadful ain't it. I'm still hopeful for a series on Amazon, but we'll see. There are sections (pretty large sections, actually) of the final novels where I think it would be really difficult to suspend your disbelief if it were replicated one to one on the screen, so to make it work the screenplay would have to be drastically different to the original. But hey, it worked for LOTR so it's not impossible...just massively improbable... 

How are you finding the books, and how far in are you? 

• Like 1

Saw the new MI film today, reliable fun. Not the best in thr series, I'd have nu.ber 6 probably up there but still solidly entertaining. It is bloated a bit and has some clunky expositiony dialogue particularly in the beginning but by and large good fun. Oppenheimer or Barbie up next 😛

Double header on Amazon Prime tonight..... Dune followed by The Nice Guys.

Villeneuve has such a good eye for visuals. Looking forward to the 2nd.

Nice Guys is incredibly Shane Black and is definitely one of my favourite comedy films of the last decade 

On 29/07/2023 at 22:02, hogso said:

Dreadful ain't it. I'm still hopeful for a series on Amazon, but we'll see. There are sections (pretty large sections, actually) of the final novels where I think it would be really difficult to suspend your disbelief if it were replicated one to one on the screen, so to make it work the screenplay would have to be drastically different to the original. But hey, it worked for LOTR so it's not impossible...just massively improbable... 

How are you finding the books, and how far in are you? 

I think there's a lot of it that just won't work as a movie. So much stuff happens in their heads, and I don't know how you would replicate the drawing of the three onto the screen. So much of the dialogue is "thought" and wouldn't work if spoken.

Books are excellent. I've nearly finished the 3rd. I found the first very tough going to be honest, but the 2nd and 3rd have been really great.

Maybe some of the movie is taken from the later novels, but I felt like if they changed the names of the characters then I'd have struggled to realise it was based on the books. Idris Elba was pretty good to be fair, but that was about it

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's a lot of it that just won't work as a movie. So much stuff happens in their heads, and I don't know how you would replicate the drawing of the three onto the screen. So much of the dialogue is "thought" and wouldn't work if spoken.

Books are excellent. I've nearly finished the 3rd. I found the first very tough going to be honest, but the 2nd and 3rd have been really great.

Maybe some of the movie is taken from the later novels, but I felt like if they changed the names of the characters then I'd have struggled to realise it was based on the books. Idris Elba was pretty good to be fair, but that was about it

I didn't hate McConaughey as the Man in Black. 

It does take a lot from one of the later novels in particular, which was one of the main issues for fans I think, why that part? Didn't make an awful lot of sense when there's so much story there. 

Books 2-4 are the peak for me, with Wizard & Glass probably being the best thing King has ever written. It's also the really obvious starting point for a movie or TV series. 

There are other issues with the latter part of the series too, specifically a major character from another King book whose back story isn't explored in the Dark Tower, literally because it's a whole other book. How do you account for that on the screen? And he isn't even the only character like that! 

A TV series starting with a very brief portion more or less covering the first book, jumping to the 4th, and the just run with the Ka-tet. The marvel comic series did it similarly to this and it really worked. 

Enjoy the ride though! There are some wild moments. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I didn't hate McConaughey as the Man in Black. 

It does take a lot from one of the later novels in particular, which was one of the main issues for fans I think, why that part? Didn't make an awful lot of sense when there's so much story there. 

Books 2-4 are the peak for me, with Wizard & Glass probably being the best thing King has ever written. It's also the really obvious starting point for a movie or TV series. 

There are other issues with the latter part of the series too, specifically a major character from another King book whose back story isn't explored in the Dark Tower, literally because it's a whole other book. How do you account for that on the screen? And he isn't even the only character like that! 

A TV series starting with a very brief portion more or less covering the first book, jumping to the 4th, and the just run with the Ka-tet. The marvel comic series did it similarly to this and it really worked. 

Enjoy the ride though! There are some wild moments. 

Off topic, so apologies, but should I read The Wind Through the Keyhole after Wizard and Glass? I know that's where it fits chronologically but wasn't released until a few years ago

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Off topic, so apologies, but should I read The Wind Through the Keyhole after Wizard and Glass? I know that's where it fits chronologically but wasn't released until a few years ago

Yep, it slots in exactly in the chronology at that point. It was a little treat for fans, going back to that world and those character after the story was wrapped up. It's not essential reading by any means, though. 

On 28/07/2023 at 22:13, Designer1 said:

Tickets booked for Talk To Me on Monday.

Reviews have been incredibly positive (especially for a contemporary horror) and it sounds like it's right up my street.

spacer.png

Yeah, this was really **** good.

Recommended 👍

• Like 1

On 29/07/2023 at 22:03, Rodders said:

Saw the new MI film today, reliable fun. Not the best in thr series, I'd have nu.ber 6 probably up there but still solidly entertaining. It is bloated a bit and has some clunky expositiony dialogue particularly in the beginning but by and large good fun. Oppenheimer or Barbie up next 😛

Does Cruise do his normal 'power run' in this one? 

I do like the MI films... loved the one with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it.. what a great villain. 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah, this was really **** good.

Recommended 👍

This is the RackaRacka twins film isn’t it?  Love them.  I’m going to assume it’s loaded with some spectacularly over the top gore?

35 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This is the RackaRacka twins film isn’t it?  Love them.  I’m going to assume it’s loaded with some spectacularly over the top gore?

There are a few scenes which are violent, but its certainly nothing unnecessarily OTT.

It's more about the unnerving mood and clever storytelling.

For a debut feature it's really impressive. 

• Thanks 1

I guess I should quit trying with Nolan films as Oppenheimer was (yet) another one of his that I didn’t like. I find him so self-indulgent and I can’t work out why he seems to have free rein. There’s a lot to admire (some good performances and I’m sure the audio will win some gongs) but it didn’t feel like a coherent film to me. 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

There are a few scenes which are violent, but its certainly nothing unnecessarily OTT.

It's more about the unnerving mood and clever storytelling.

For a debut feature it's really impressive. 

Okay very interesting, sounds a lot more subtle than something I’d expect from them given their YouTube output.  Intense comedy, action, horror set pieces and stunts and they’d do all their own gore effects and make up.  

Will definitely check this out 👍

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 22:13, Designer1 said:

Tickets booked for Talk To Me on Monday.

Reviews have been incredibly positive (especially for a contemporary horror) and it sounds like it's right up my street.

spacer.png

Any good?

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Saw X 👀

This one looks very good

didn't realise a trailer had come out already. agreed, looks decent. got the right idea with the premise rather than just another "someone's carrying on his work"

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

didn't realise a trailer had come out already. agreed, looks decent. got the right idea with the premise rather than just another "someone's carrying on his work"

Yeah this ones timeline is between saw 1 and 2 therfore i think it will be very good as tobin bell will have suxh a major role in it along with amanda.

The last two have been ok but its just not the same with the original jigsaw

Makes you wonder how many they are gonna go for as they can do thia kind of thing fos a while 

• Like 1

Â