The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Keeping with the questionable sci-fi flicks for a moment, I watched Enemy Mine last night. I suppose in some ways it was worth it for the entertainment factor of watching Dennis Quaid hamming it up beyond all belief.

Watched Tintin last night.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Once you get past the fact that it looks a bit weird (the curious mix of mo-cap animation, and the characters having a odd cross of cartoon features but with really, really high quality CGI making them look almost real is bizarre. There is fidelity to the characters that make you believe to an extent they are real, but they obviously have a design that cannot be real. It's almost uncanny valley stuff and is a bit offputting to begin with), and suffers from the same thing that Tintin always has, that being that Tintin is insufferably dull himself, it's a really nice family romp.

It's overblown in the all the best cartoon ways - it's silly and over the top but still has a gentleness to it, which is hard going considering this is a film that has plane crashes, a sea battle with associated sword fight, numerous people getting knocked on the head with bottles and fists, and more than a little gunfire. Some pretty grim things occur but the film steps back from really playing up the danger. Where any other film would ramp up the tension in some of the scenes, they tone it down just a little and you find yourself sitting relaxed and enjoying it.

About the only things that I really didn't like about the whole thing where Thompson and Thomson just not working at all (a shame since I love Pegg and Frost and when I used to watch the 90s animation I loved those charatcers), and the fact it does some of the most blatant sequel setting up I've ever seen a film do - the conclusion happens and then completely gets overshadowed by the fact it's clear the story is going to continue. I suspect some people might grow tired of how much it pulls you through it, every single plot point is foreshadowed miles ahead and you ca see exactly where its going but it never cuts to the chase so to speak. But even so I found it hard to feel too sore over that.

It feels like what Indiana Jones might have been had the last film not been an utterly shameless cash in. Good fun.

yeah i agree with that about tintin, the gf said it was her favourite film of last year though! she really liked it, saying that indian jones are her favourite films ever and there is more than one nod to them IMO

im sure id read somewhere that it wasnt as succesful at the box office as they ahd wanted though

Saw The Hunger Games the other night in London...

Although it was clearly a teenage girl's story - it was pretty decent and the younger actors did a great job but it was the likes of Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks that stole the show.

I've no doubt there'll be a sequel of sorts??!

The moment you mentioned twilight is the moment i decided ill never watch this film

If i wanted to watch a yank version of Battle Royale i'd just watch the condemned

Stone Cold Verses Vinnie Jones any day of the week over this trash

Hunger Games sequel is in pre production already.

It appears to be a Battle Royale crossed with Twilight. With all the horror that may bring.

I liked the book and the film (for what they are). I've seen the joke that is 'Twilight' and can safely say it's better than that, although you are right in saying that it does have some similar elements. Mainly the target audience. Decent for what it is though and as I said before, Lawrence is very good in it.

The+Divide.jpg

One of the most disturbing films ive seen in a while all i can say is that its post apocalyptic horror dont want to spoil it

Michael Biehn the legend is in it and still has it at 54 years of age

They're making

Great news as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big fan of the first one and it's one of my favourite comedy films. I'm just not quite sure how they can top it and hope this second one won't ruin the whole thing.

Anchorman is the funniest film in recent memory.

I absolutely love it. Pure brilliance.

On the one hand I'm chuffed to bits that they're making a sequel. I'll definitely see it.

But I just really really hope it's not shit and ruins it for everyone!

Â