The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Been out to see Shang-chi, marvelous, very enjoyable. Sure Naydra was in it.

Image result for botw dinraal gif

I agree it was very good, best Marvel movie for awhile. The guy who plays Shang-Chi was exceptional. First thing I've seen him in but sure he will get some more roles now

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Salad said:

I agree it was very good, best Marvel movie for awhile. The guy who plays Shang-Chi was exceptional. First thing I've seen him in but sure he will get some more roles now

Yes, great cast all round. The film is hard to fault, loved it. The bus at the beginning was awesome, the guy streaming the fight online was hilarious, that fight and scaffolding one were magic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yes, great cast all round. The film is hard to fault, loved it. The bus at the beginning was awesome, the guy streaming the fight online was hilarious, that fight and scaffolding one were magic.

Is fin fang foom in it 🤞🤞

Saw Cry Macho with Clint Eastwood last night. Thought it was brilliant and enthralled me throughout. I have love all his movies and this is one is no different, the actor playing the young kid was good also.

From all his westerns to Dirty Harry to Gran Torino and more Clint is an absolute legend and it will be sad, sad day when he passes away.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Hope it's as good as the Tyrone Power version.

Not seen that one or read the book but yeah hope it's a good one. Should have potential considering who's involved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Not seen that one or read the book but yeah hope it's a good one. Should have potential considering who's involved.

Seek out an original cut of the 1947 (if u like older stuff that is) version, doubt you will find it anywhere other than on the open seas. It's very good, quite shocking for back then and I cannot think of anyone better to handle a new adaptation, cast is good too, this will be good.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Finally got round to watching King of the Monsters today. Loved the first reboot Godzilla film, was a big fan of it but put watching this off as heard it was a bit plop.

I need to stop reading reviews I think as I loved it from start to end. Big grin throughout. It’s bonkers. The scene where Mothra unfurls her wings is beautiful. The big diorama shot of the 4 titans in battle at the end at night was amazing, such a cool shot. Such daft fun. Will have to get round to watching Godzilla V Kong soon as well. 

I get (I think) why these films aren’t for everyone but I’ve loved both films I’ve watched so far. I just want to see giant cool monsters beating each other up, a lot of action, a bit of lore and history building. It’s great.

Funnily enough I watched one of the original Mothra movies at the weekend, The special effects are nowhere near as good as these days but still really good fun. Still singing the high high Mothra, high high Mothra. Oooo Mothra, oooo Mothra song the tribe sing to raise her

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Funnily enough I watched one of the original Mothra movies at the weekend, The special effects are nowhere near as good as these days but still really good fun. Still singing the high high Mothra, high high Mothra. Oooo Mothra, oooo Mothra song the tribe sing to raise her

They were so entertaining when I was a kid, I watched to the original Godzilla and son of at the start of lockdown, as you say, badly done but brilliantly entertaining. Can't remember much of any others, will have a search later to find what I can.

Malignant last night.

Absolutely bat shit mental. But I really enjoyed it.

I was very dubious after the incredibly cheesy and terribly acted intro, I really hate that sort of acting, but even though the acting still left a little to be desired at times, the film was great.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was very dubious after the incredibly cheesy and terribly acted intro, I really hate that sort of acting, but even though the acting still left a little to be desired at times, the film was great.

Completely deliberate - he (Wan) wanted more stilted dialogue in some scenes to evoke the feel of 80's horror movies. There was also a shit load of giallo nods amongst his usual style.

Glad you enjoyed it though :thumb:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Completely deliberate - he (Wan) wanted more stilted dialogue in some scenes to evoke the feel of 80's horror movies. There was also a shit load of giallo nods amongst his usual style.

Glad you enjoyed it though :thumb:

Yeah I assumed it was deliberate, I still don't really like it though. Luckily it was far less obvious in the rest of the film.

I also think there are quite a few parallels plotwise with Candyman, which is a coincidence given I watched both of those last week!

Copshop - I mean if you've seen the trailer there are no surprises. it's dumb, but fun in the *approaching cliche warning* switching your brain off way. A couple of pieces of dialogue and character choices are particularly risible and stupid, but with a generous spirit it's enjoyable enough. 

For me shows the benefit of the unlimited card as I wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it's on channel 4 but probably counts as a film rather than TV program but i enjoyed Help for like an hour or so. really hard hitting.

the last 20-30 mins were a bit silly though

But that 30 sec near the end when she spoke directly to Boris Johnson was powerful and needs to be rammed down the throat of this government. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big Salad said:

The thing I've seen him in is Kim's Convenience, which is, uh, quite different (I assume, I will never watch a Marvel movie, but I have seen the trailer).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

But that 30 sec near the end when she spoke directly to Boris Johnson was powerful and needs to be rammed down the throat of this government. 

i actually never thought of it like that. kinda makes that 20 mins or so make more sense, to set up that rant to the camera

• Like 1

Â