The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm trying to find some movies on the Eastern Front, too much flag waving Western/Pacific movies and not enough Ruskis kicking ass.

ComeSee.jpg

Byelorussia rather than Russia and certainly no flag-waving.

But once of the best war films ever made.

Watched Inception last night. Not the easiest tofollow but a decent film.

Been leant the film Milk too. Is it worth watching?

Started watching Inception last week, switched it off after about 45mins thought it was dire.

I watched it all the way through but I just don't get where the high praise comes from. I watch a lot of films and mark them all on IMDB. No way is this more than a seven.

People are easily blinded by hype it seems.

Joan Rivers on Charlie Sheen:

"All this Charlie Sheen news reminds me of seeing “Inception.” I have no idea what the hell is going on, but can't wait to see how it ends."

:lol:

Just watched...

Another_year_poster.jpg

I never thought Mike Leigh could top Secrets and Lies, and I was wrong. Fantastic movie which is worth watching for Lesley Manville's performance alone and an absolute must-see for any fans of Leigh's work.

About to have a late night Starship Troopers session. Splendily daft entertainment, with Denise Richards (and Neil Patrick Harris!!) to boot.

Costs about £3 in HMV too, buy it and enjoy it if you haven't already.

No fooling, Starship Troopers is THE best American Imperialism satire out there.

Paul Verhoeven will always be one of my favourite directors.

Robocop - Brilliant

Total Recall - Awesome

Starship Troopers - Genius

Showgirls - ehh... no comment

I watched the lookout tonight. It was very watchable

Which is entirely down to Joseph Gordon Levitt, right :oops:

I watched The Bourne Identity for the first time last night, it was pretty good. Got the other 2 to go later in the week. Some people couldn't believe I've never seen them before, I didn't think it was staggeringly good or anything though. Maybe they get better?

Another one who haven't seen Casablanca. But I've planned to do so for a long time now. Same with Godfather 2.

But I saw Leaving Las Vegas again last night and that one is brilliant. :D

anyone been to see battle la?

getting some pretty poor reviews, by all accounts the script isnt very good, but to be fair i just want to see some shit get blown up!

Amen to that brother!

I went to see Battle: LA and thought it was pretty poor in all honesty. I wanted to have some brainless fun and was subjected to one of the worst scripts in existence. Not to mention the amnount of cliche garbage and the love fest for the Marines throughout. The only redeeming factor was that some of the special effects were good and the shots of LA were alright. It's probably only just worth a viewing for a little bit of brainless fun. However, you will need to put up with wooden acting and a very Americanised film.

I'll be off to see Fair Game over the weekend so I'll be back with my opinions on that.

On another not, have you all seen the new trailer for Super 8 yet? You can watch it

I'm looking forward to it and it really does seem like a homage to ET and The Goonies from the footage in the trailer. It's also great that they haven't given too much away in it. I was thinking about starting a thread for it a while ago but I don't feel like clogging things up when I can just put the trailer in here. I might still create one though at some point... :D

just watched it, i liked it, the script is pretty dire but i cant be the only one who by now thinks marines do actually talk like that, all the characters are really badly written the guy who retires in 2 days, the guy getting married, the rookie, the guy with the pregnant wife etc pretty much the whole film is a patch work quilt from every war film you've ever seen and IMO for a film that is trying to be as realistic as possible for an alien film the ending is then blown way out of proportion

one of them that the more i think about it the more i'll realise faults with it, but despite the opening 15 mins and the last 15 mins being poor the bit in the middle when the best action takes place it was really enjoyable

Â