The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Sony have given the first Dark Tower movie a tentative Jan 2017 release date (plus apparent confirmation of a Jumanji 'reimagining'), hope it works out. No news on cast, but the director has been confirmed, and I can't say I know much about him - Nikolaj Arcel of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo fame

Sony have given the first Dark Tower movie a tentative Jan 2017 release date (plus apparent confirmation of a Jumanji 'reimagining'), hope it works out. No news on cast, but the director has been confirmed, and I can't say I know much about him - Nikolaj Arcel of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo fame

Personally, I think it would have worked way better as a series which would have given it more time to flesh out the characters and story.

• Like 1

It's been through so much development hell I'm not even sure what the plan is anymore. The original idea of a trilogy of movies (part one = the gunslinger/drawing of the three, part two = waste lands/some of wizard and glass, part three = wolves/the end would have been ok if made akin to lotr (far easier said than done ofc)) plus a tv series/s to cover the back story from wizard and glass, the fall of gilead and the extra stuff from the comics too, would've worked wonderfully.

But I have no idea what's happening with it now, frankly. Does anyone? The last two books are unfilmable anyway, the deaths of some of the main characters plus the role King himself plays would be awful on screen. They could condense the last 3 books into one film, and make the majority of that Roland v The Crimson King, it'd be better than attempting to convert the actual thing to the screen.

Edited by hogso

I saw Mission Impossible & admired how Rebecca Ferguson managed to do everything in the most erotic way possible. My word.

It knows exactly what it is and executes it well enough. I liked it, but at parts I missed the Bourne movies. They were **** great, weren't they?

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I saw Mission Impossible & admired how Rebecca Ferguson managed to do everything in the most erotic way possible. My word.

It knows exactly what it is and executes it well enough. I liked it, but at parts I missed the Bourne movies. They were **** great, weren't they?

I could watch all three Bourne films, in one sitting, and still want more.*

*yes, I know there is a 4th but it really sucketh the balls.

Fantastic 4 has not only apparently turned out to be shit - it's truly awful. Sitting at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes, it makes the old ones (themselves bollocks) look like masterpieces.

And in the wake of that, director Josh Trank seems to be a collision course with making himself unemployable. This morning he basically through the movie, as it was premiering around the world, under a bus, with this

CLxUnmgUkAA3BF_.png

Given that there were rumours that he was sacked by the Star Wars guys because he's a nightmare on set, and there were also rumours amounting to the same on the Fantastic 4 set which lead, in part, to them apparently binning the back end of the movie and starting over over his head, that tweet was probably not clever. It'd be a dumb move if Spielberg did it, but with with Trank's reputation, that's a career killer.

I'm actually somewhat keen to see it now just to see how bad it is. Common themes coming out of reviews seems to be the fact it's a joyless grey pit of a movie, boring with little actual story, that wastes it's cast and, somehow, manages to **** up one of the best villains in all of Marvel's roster. Again.

Aside from the natural repulsion in seeing Sandler's name on a movie poster (I had the misfortune of seeing 5 minutes of "Jack & Jill" earlier-why Pacino? why??), it always slightly annoys me when the actor's name is above the wrong actor in the poster.

Personally, I think it would have worked way better as a series which would have given it more time to flesh out the characters and story.

I think the cost of producing a TV series would be too much to get the surreal quality to the world. I cant see it being a massive draw as a film either so I expect the dark tower film to be the first and last unfortunately. 

Watched kajaki last night, enjoyable in a tough watch kind of way.

Not massively into war films but this was a good low budget English film based on true events.

Massive respect to those involved, a horrendous situation.

• Like 2

Trying to watch What We Did on Our Holiday and I can't stop being distracted by just how attractive Rosamund Pike is. Is there anyone more classically attractive?

Watched two films over the weekend.

Foxcatcher (my choice) - I liked it. It's a bit, slow I guess. Not much actually happens. But it's all about the relationship between the three main characters and it builds a lot of tension through some fairly mundane settings. The climax was excellent and totally unexpected for somebody who has never heard of the story. Tatum and Carrell are both great in it.

Chappie (her choice) - complete mess of a film. Felt like there was a good concept in there, but I think Short Circuit did it better 25 years ago. There's dozens of gaping plot holes and the criminals in the film are hilariously awful. They're like cartoon characters, but in a serious setting. It makes no sense. And nor does the fact they go from utter scumbags to potential heroes for no reason whatsoever.

It's shite basically. Enough there to keep you interested, but a pretty crap film overall.

• Like 1

Â