DeadlyDirk

So after watching all of em yet again on sky snytime over the week 

In order of greatness are 

new hope 

empire strikes back 

revenge of the sith 

return of the jedi 

the other two dont exist for been utter shite 

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is surprisingly good fun. Very old fashioned weekend caper style of thing, but really enjoyable for it. Everything about it is beautiful, its shot with the look of a 60s film, and the sets and outfits and style of of all are brilliant. Very good performances too, the while thing hangs off the interplay between Cavills Solo and Hammer's Kuryakin. And good action. And unexpectedly funny.

A light hearted bit of entertainment to while away 2 hours, I think it's been reviewed a little sniffly. I hope it sparks a franchise line Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes did.

• Like 1

I cant be the only one to think mad max fury road was utter cack ?

nope thought it was garbage myself

Must be something in the water on the Emerald Isles, as you're very much in the minority.

Personally think its in with a shout of being the best action movie of the last 5 years, and certainly the best of this year.

• Like 1

Disney did their annual D23 event yesterday, and amongst their usual fair they had Star Wars and Marvel.

Not much revealed about the Force Awakens, but they did show a few things from the spinoff coming next year and also revealed that Jurassic World's Colin Trevorrow is picking up Episode 9.

As for Marvel, a sizzle reel of production art was shown for Doctor Strange (as it doesn't even begin filming until November) which seemed to show a few interesting tidbits. Firstly, it looks like this movie is going to be appropriately weird - concept art of the Ancient One, a big deal in the Doctor Strange mythos, was shown, looking like the expected stereotyped Tibetan mystic. But in the movie that character is played by Tilda Swinton... Also it looks like it's going headlong into the freaky astral projection shit Dr Strange is renowned for, which seems to be following lines we've seen in the Marvel movies already...

Then they shifted to Civil War. They actually showed a trailer of this and word is it's looking very good, and, as expected, it's shaping up to be an Avengers movie in everything but name, pretty much the entire Avengers lineup appears and we add some new faces as well. Black Panther was shown and reaction to that appearance was universal praise, which is a good start for a character that could be very important, and of course Spiderman makes his MCU bow. He wasn't shown however and Marvel are guarding the character very closely, odd really as there's not much to surprise anyone with a Spidey suit these days. The rest of the footage seems to suggest this is a darker, more grounded Marvel movie, in the same vein of Singer Soldier, but still lighter than the original plotline. Rumour has it that this trailer will be released soon so the build up to Civil War shouldn't be far away...

Edited by Chindie

Watched 2 decent films over the weekend.

The black sea - cool submarine action/thriller starring Jude law.

Predestination - Imo, the best time travel thriller since 12 monkeys, regardless of working it out!

Edited by theboyangel

my partner had not seen Shaun of the Dead until last night. Duly corrected, I hadn't seen it in a little while and had forgotten how many good gags there are in it.

Tonight is either

Ray

Christ Stopped at Eboli

Terminator 2

very much a mood of the moment will make that choice :D

Took some children from the Hospital to see 'Inside out' and really enjoyed it. All the kids seemed to like it but I was the one cracking up the most.

My favourite bit

Was where the imaginary friend spoke about the reason he was made up of all different animals "Horse goes neigh, it was all anybody spoke about back then..." I loved the highbrow matter of fact way. And, so sad when he sacrificed himself so Joy could carry on with her journey back to Head quarters using his own theme song

:(

I recommend it, it was full of some very interesting ideas about, life and the mixture of emotions we feel.

So after watching all of em yet again on sky snytime over the week

In order of greatness are

new hope

empire strikes back

revenge of the sith

return of the jedi

the other two dont exist for been utter shite

Will be doing this next week, mines ESB, NH, RotJ, RotS, agree about the other 2, my enjoyment of RotS is somewhat spoiled by the fact that I've read the book (and the clone wars books) and they made a right mess of general grievous and the fight between palpatine and the 4 Jedi (3 of whom are really underdeveloped as characters) is 10x better in the book (using the force to use his lightsaber rather than actually wielding it etc)

Edited by villa4europe

Â