The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Has to be Clive Owen .....

I'd like this, because it takes someone I really hate and puts him in a franchise that I never watch :)  Perfick.

I'd like this, because it takes someone I really hate and puts him in a franchise that I never watch :)  Perfick.

Yeahhhhh no. I prefer my Bond actors to be able to act.

Yeahhhhh no. I prefer my Bond actors to be able to act.

So you're not a big fan of Roger Moore then ;):D

• Like 1

Re. Clive Owen, we've had this discussion on here a few times before but he can act.

Unfortunately, the occasions on which he shows this are so few and far between and are so bogged down with all the other interminable rubbish he's produced they are overlooked.

Edited by Designer1

Meanwhile. Not the onion

The unintentionally racist line in Jurassic World

Jurassic World was released last weekend and became the year’s biggest film, but that’s not the news. The news is their unintentional racism and British satirical comedian Guzzy Bear’s hilarious reaction to it.

The film, of course, contains many dinosaurs – one of which is the Pachycephalosaurus. But that’s a very long name, and in a fast-paced action movie centred around a genetically modified dinosaur, ain’t nobody got time to be pronouncing that. The shortening of its name lead to the line: “The Pachys are out of containment!”

In the UK, “Paki” has long been a racial slur for people of South Asian descent. And “Pachy” is pronounced the same way. The American screenwriters would have had no idea that the line could be interpreted this way, we hope. Still though, Guzzy Bear has something to say about it.

• Like 3

It is after a serious of expensive flops (Lone Ranger, john carter) Disney flogging a cash cow by doing all of their cartoons as live action, Alice in wonderland, maleficent, Cinderella already done, up next it's Tarzan, Pete and the dragon, another Alice film, beauty and the beast, Mulan, Pinocchio, tinker bell the movie, dumbo

Then you add Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 and the spin offs (4 of them)

Whilst looking that up I saw what Pixar have lined up - finding dory, toy story 4, cars 3, frozen 2, the incredibles 2

It's getting a bit boring, hopefully inside out, the good dinosaur and the not yet titled pixar film about the Mexican day of the dead festival (Pixar + grim fandango) will be good

Meanwhile. Not the onion

The unintentionally racist line in Jurassic World

Jurassic World was released last weekend and became the year’s biggest film, but that’s not the news. The news is their unintentional racism and British satirical comedian Guzzy Bear’s hilarious reaction to it.

The film, of course, contains many dinosaurs – one of which is the Pachycephalosaurus. But that’s a very long name, and in a fast-paced action movie centred around a genetically modified dinosaur, ain’t nobody got time to be pronouncing that. The shortening of its name lead to the line: “The Pachys are out of containment!”

In the UK, “Paki” has long been a racial slur for people of South Asian descent. And “Pachy” is pronounced the same way. The American screenwriters would have had no idea that the line could be interpreted this way, we hope. Still though, Guzzy Bear has something to say about it.

• Like 2

I watched The Amazing Burt Wondertone, or something like that, tonight. I thought it it was good, pretty funny in parts and I don't know why I haven't heard of it before. Steve Carrell, Jim Carrey and Steve Buscemi as the main three characters.

7/10

• Like 1

I finally got around to rewatching Apocalypse Now last night, last time I saw it I was young, I think at the time I expected it to be like Platoon... My initial thought is that it's probably the best film ever made. Not just from a technical standpoint but also in how it captures the dreamlike horror of Vietnam, which is how my generation feel about the conflict and of the late 60's/70's in general.

I watched it in HD obviously and felt that it could have been made yesterday, only it wouldn't have because of what it must have taken out of just about everyone involved. It blew me away.

• Like 3

I've only watched it once, I watched redux, thought the opening was superb but by the end I thought it was overblown, it seriously drags, and to be honest boring, the whole bit in the French house was pointless, by the time Brando's garbled bullshit nonsense came in I'd had enough

Sits at number 1 on my most overrated film of all time list

I didn't appreciate Apocalypse Now fully until at least the 2nd time I saw it. Don't think i was in the mood for it the first time. I've seen it 3 or 4 times now either on TV or on Netflix/Now TV. What I do remember is seeing completely different endings on occasions!

Â