The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Jurassic World has become the first film to break a $500m global opening weekend.

It's in spitting distance of taking the US record as well.

This year will end up being a record breaker for box office takings. Jurrasic World looks set to be top 5 for all time takings after this weekend, Fast and Furious has made silly money, Age of Ultron has done well, and we've still got major franchise sequels to come (Mission Impossible, Bond, Terminator) and obviously Star Wars at Christmas.

We're approaching the point that billion dollar takes are a box office expectation.

Just watched Jurassic Park for the first time, not sure how I've managed to miss it all these years. Fun film, do I need to see the others before watching the new one or is there no real continuity?

sq_all_this_mayhem.jpg

Fantastic documentary in a sport I have absolutely no interest in.

Says a lot for the power of the documentary and the incredible story that I was completely engrossed throughout.

It's on Netflix and would definitely recommend.

Watched it a few nights back, was great. So much footage of the 2 brothers from when they first started out to when it all went to shit. One of the best documentaries I've seen.
  • Like 2

What? You mean there are people who HAVEN'T SEEN The Man Who Wasn't There? [emoji47]

:wave: But I agree with everyone above that it looks intriguing so I will try and check it out if possible.

Jurassic World has become the first film to break a $500m global opening weekend.

It's in spitting distance of taking the US record as well.

This year will end up being a record breaker for box office takings. Jurrasic World looks set to be top 5 for all time takings after this weekend, Fast and Furious has made silly money, Age of Ultron has done well, and we've still got major franchise sequels to come (Mission Impossible, Bond, Terminator) and obviously Star Wars at Christmas.

We're approaching the point that billion dollar takes are a box office expectation.

Yet piracy is crippling the movie industry and there isn't enough money to make new films because everyone is watching cams.

• Like 3

Lords Of London  (2014)

I have to say i was very disappointed with this. As i watched it, i kept hoping it would get better but it never did.IMDb scored it a 3 I agree with them 3/10

Just watched Jurassic Park for the first time, not sure how I've managed to miss it all these years. Fun film, do I need to see the others before watching the new one or is there no real continuity?

You can ignore the other 2 and jump straight to World.

The other 2 aren't a patch on the first but are a laugh nonetheless so worth a watch if you're not burnt out on dinosaurs. 

• Like 2

Damian Lewis has had his odds slashed on becoming the next Bond due to a flurry of bets. Some pretty credible actors being spoken about in Lewis & Elba. With James Mcavoy, Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy also but I dont think they would suit the role.

I always thought a reason for replacing Daniel Craig was because he was getting older but Lewis and Elba are around the same age and I suppose they wont be rebooting again just continuing in this vein. I think Daniel Craig has done a great job in the grittier more realistic recent Bonds.  

Just hope they dont do something stupid and choose Henry Cavill.

Edited by Nicho

I think you can be too good as an actor to be Bond.  Putting Hardy or Fassbender as Bond would take them out of the film world.  For me it's slightly a poisoned chalice.  I know Craig has done a few bits and bobs elsewhere whilst being Bond but he has for all intents and porpoises disappeared from the movie world save for this one franchise.  If I was Hardy or Fassbender I'd say thanks but no thanks.  Lewis OTOH doesn't have as high a profile so it might suit him to be catapulted from where he is currently.

• Like 2

Jurassic World in IMAX last night.

Part of me absolutely loved it, part of me absolutely hated it.

I didn't appreciate the Dinosaurs talking to each other and giving each other mutual respect, regardless of the films history.  I don't think Dinosaurs can understand what a common enemy is, let alone give each other knowing nods and turn-coating on a new Alpha.

But despite that, I really liked it.  I thought the new dino felt legitimate.  I thought the attractions were absolutely spot on, and would probably be what would be available should the technology for these creatures to exist be like.

I didn't mind the action, there were a couple of surprises

the kids' minder dying

So overall I give it an unprecedented 10.5/10 because of dinosaurs. 

Â