The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Blood Brides  (1970)

To be honest i did not know what to make of this film,i could not make up my mind if i liked it or not. It was certainly different. IMDb describe it as oddball horror movie and thats probably the best description for it. 6/10

I watched a film last night called 'The Text of Light', I didn't really understand the storyline but something to watch and mysterious looking, the whole thing was filmed with a glass ashtray.

I watched a film last night called 'The Text of Light', I didn't really understand the storyline but something to watch and mysterious looking, the whole thing was filmed with a glass ashtray.

This was imdb's blurb:

Time-lapse photography of books, paintings, reflections, and light falling on textures, shot entirely through a glass ashtray.

Why would anyone want to watch that?

• Like 1

I'd rather watch a film in the original language without the subtitles and not understand what's going on than watch a dubbed film.

p

Stevo is right though, live action not a chance, but with anime you've got a bit more flexibility, when Disney started distributing ghibli films and some great actors got involved and a proper job was done in dubbing it they get away with it

There's no way you can watch the dubbed version of spirited away and think they've ruined the film

• Like 3

yeah, agreed it's ok with animated films as it's hardly distracting. But for regular films, subtitles all the way. Sight issues are an acceptable excuse for choosing dubbing, it is generally decreed.

Agree with the above, dubbing is fine for Anime, a total no-no for live acting.

That said, I prefer the Ghiblis that had more 'British' dubbing (e.g. Arrietty) to the more aggressively American sounding ones.

Edited by mjmooney

Dubbing is a must for matinee kung fu films (especially those starring the Long brothers) and spaghetti westerns.

Sadly, true. For all their many good qualities, the Leone westerns always made me cringe a bit.

All animated films are dubbed when you think about it ;)

I prefer watching subtitled anime with the original Japanese audio, but Ghibli films generally have pretty good English dubs.

• Like 1

The Hunger Games franchise baffles me. I've only seen the first film, admittedly, but it just seems like such a backwards concept.

How can you have a film which features a society with such little morality that they enter children into an arena to battle to the death until the last one is standing, and yet aim it towards preteens and therefore give it a 12 rating?

It's such a sick and dark premise but it's aimed at kids, meaning that they have to water it down making it boring and eliminating any sense of dread or fear. I'm amazed at how popular it is, the first one was boring as ****. Not to mention the dialogue and pacing was utter balls. I find it a little irresponsible that these people would write and produce this kind of film for that sort of audience to be honest, yet people lap it up.

Kids, wait until you're 16 or so and watch Battle Royale instead, or better yet, read the book.

Edited by Ginko

Â