The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

do musicals where every single word is sung have a different name to a musical such as say grease?

anyway, crowe comes on screen and "sings" something like "hello, my name is john, what is your name?" what a load of bollocks, i dreamed a dream is good, so is do you hear the people sing, the rest of it is rubbish, crowe is **** awful in it IMO cant sing for toffee

What are the criticisms of American Sniper all about? Does it skew facts or something?

I saw the film yesterday having just read the book. There are a few things that are wrong but seemingly intentional to make a decent film. As there wouldn't have been much of a story but more of a Bio of someone's life.

I loved it though. Bradley cooper was excellent. However I prefer the book.

What are the criticisms of American Sniper all about? Does it skew facts or something?

It's a decent film but it's a horrible (and seemingly very skewed) message.

I thought the film was good and Cooper's performance was very good (even allowing for some of the stuff in it). Having read about Kyle after, I still get the film but I understand why people have a problem with it, i.e. that it appears to make him an 'American hero' whereas he was probably just a racist redneck though the film tried to inject nuance in to his life and deeds (not a bad thing).

Also with whiplash: good film, awful 'message'.

Edited by snowychap

Inside Man  (2006)

I really enjoyed this movie,one of the best i have seen for a while.Denzel Washington was brilliant i thought,with Clive Owen and Jodie Foster also pretty good.A 8/10 in my book

The Drop - very good. Has Tom Hardy ever done anything that's not been quality?

I think he's one of the best british actors we have produced in a while

He's versatile as well doesn't play the hardman in every movie

• Like 2

do musicals where every single word is sung have a different name to a musical such as say grease?

anyway, crowe comes on screen and "sings" something like "hello, my name is john, what is your name?" what a load of bollocks, i dreamed a dream is good, so is do you hear the people sing, the rest of it is rubbish, crowe is **** awful in it IMO cant sing for toffee

Operas (rather than musicals) use that talk/sing thing a lot. It's called 'recitative'. And yes, it's shit.

I'd say Les Miserables is an opera rather than a musical.

• Like 1

Whiplash is great. Really good.

I just think it stuttered to an end sadly.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the cowboys/dynamite farce at the end of Django overrun, more of four minutes added time at the end of Aston Villa 0-0 Sunderland.

Â