The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Enjoyed Interstellar - some scenes were really pushing the boundaries - think he just tried too hard with it which is a shame.

Also funny to see some people leaving the cinema during the more scientific elements - maybe they should add minimum GCSE/A-Level requirements as well as the 12A.

Enjoyed Interstellar - some scenes were really pushing the boundaries - think he just tried too hard with it which is a shame.

Also funny to see some people leaving the cinema during the more scientific elements - maybe they should add minimum GCSE/A-Level requirements as well as the 12A.

They probably went to the loo so they could top up on TOWIE or something.. Reprobates.

• Like 2

Interstellar was actually really boring, for me Nolan worst film

Worse than "Dark Night Rises"?

for me yeah though wasnt a great Inception fan either if honest. Prefer Nolan earlier work like Prestige and Memento myself. think he is trying to be too ambitious at the moment

I'm having a Billy Wilder marathon today. Just watched 'The Apartment'. Aside from the expected ignorance regarding suicide attempts, it was very good. I'm going to watch Double Indemnity now, then Sunset Blvd. and I'll finish the day with either Witness for Prosecution or Some Like it Hot.

He directed some corkers, that lad.

I'm having a Billy Wilder marathon today. Just watched 'The Apartment'. Aside from the expected ignorance regarding suicide attempts, it was very good. I'm going to watch Double Indemnity now, then Sunset Blvd. and I'll finish the day with either Witness for Prosecution or Some Like it Hot.

He directed some corkers, that lad.

yes some classics there. I didn't realise he directed double indemnity. Great director, some of these modern ones try to **** with your head too much for my liking. 

Edited by PaulC

I watched 'Fat Girl'.

The ending surprised me.

I'm trying to think of a film with a more shocking end. I'm struggling. Have you seen any other Catherine Breillat? An acquired taste to say the least.

I watched 'Fat Girl'.

The ending surprised me.

I'm trying to think of a film with a more shocking end. I'm struggling. Have you seen any other Catherine Breillat? An acquired taste to say the least.

No I haven't, I only watched because I saw it on quite a few peoples' top ten lists. 'Surprising' was probably a too weak a word but I'd only seen a cut version (but that was horrible enough). I have since watched the bit they cut out and yes it's very shocking because what happens and also because of how unexpected it is.

Interstellar was a big let down. Mainly hamstrung by awful dialogue, plots holes and a really stupid ending. Seriously they have the line "Maybe love is the 5th Dimension" audible sighs in the Imax after that one. It's really rather frustrating because there are some excellent scenes which look stunning, but they are followed by scenes of terrible dialogue or annoying overacting which result in a film that hamstrung itself, it's a disjointed experience. The final hour really drags and the film be becomes rather silly. 

It's really a hard film to rate. But it's no more than 5/10 for me, sadly because love Nolan's films. But if you are a person who can forgive plot holes and bad dialogue and focus on the visuals and again the excellent score then you probably could like this. 

what was Matthew Mcconaughey like in it? he has been trying to rebuild his career as a serious actor hasn't he with his last few roles (Mud, Killer Joe, Dallas Buyers and True Detective) so I'm interested to see how he does in this one.

I went to see The Babadook last night, I really enjoyed it, yeah it borrowed a lot from the old classics but the mood that the film set was great and I thought the performance from the mom in the first 2/3 of the film was great, I did think she kind of blew it in the last part though.

I got that The Babadook was all pretty much in her head within about 20/30 minutes of the film, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of it at all though

Â