The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 films I watched again recently

We need to talk about Kevin - excellent performances all round especially john c Reilly who normally plays the comedy roles, just a really good film.

The double - one of my favourite films of the last year easily, excellent performances from Jesse eissenberg and Mia wasakowska, can't wait to see more from the director richard ayoade

• Like 1

Midnight In Paris (2011)  I am not a great lover of romantic films to be honest,but decided to give this one a chance..Not a bad film to be fair with a decent story.Would rate it 6/10 

Watched Draft day, really enjoyed it. Might not be as good for anyone not into NFL though

Look on YouTube for the " 30 for 30 (From Elway to Marino)" documentary .

I think you will enjoy it .

Watched it. Enjoyed it a lot. I think it was you that introduced me to the 30 for 30 series with the one about the Raiders and Rap - I just watched the Bo Jackson one, they're extraordinary. Thank you.
I don't think you even have to like NFL to enjoy the Elway to Marino one . They are just really well executed documentaries. If you do like NFL however then I dare anybody not to love it !

In a nutshell it is about the infamous 1983 draft where a record 6 QB's went in the first round . Elway was wanted by everyone (Including the New York Yankees baseball club) and Elway wanted to go pretty much anywhere other than the Baltimore Colts who had the first pick . Cue some dramatic bluffs, deals and last minute cliffhangers and you are left with a movie quality thriller , even if everyone knows the outcome ! For me though , Marino's reaction at being the last QB to go ,especially behind Ken (who is he ?) O'Brien , was brilliant !

Edited by Brumerican

Watched Draft day, really enjoyed it. Might not be as good for anyone not into NFL though

Watched it. Enjoyed it a lot. I think it was you that introduced me to the 30 for 30 series with the one about the Raiders and Rap - I just watched the Bo Jackson one, they're extraordinary. Thank you.
I don't think you even have to like NFL to enjoy the Elway to Marino one . They are just really well executed documentaries. If you do like NFL however then I dare anybody not to love it !

In a nutshell it is about the infamous 1983 draft where a record 6 QB's went in the first round . Elway was wanted by everyone (Including the New York Yankees baseball club) and Elway wanted to go pretty much anywhere other than the Baltimore Colts who had the first pick . Cue some dramatic bluffs, deals and last minute cliffhangers and you are left with a movie quality thriller , even if everyone knows the outcome ! For me though , Marino's reaction at being the last QB to go ,especially behind Ken (who is he ?) O'Brien , was brilliant !

I'll have a look at that, cheers :)

if you watch them on youtube and then follow the links theres loads of good NFL documentaries out there, im assuming its because of who owns the footage making it easier to do whereas premier league or european football is distributed differently its harder to do, think ive watched all the 30 for 30 films (once brothers is still my favourite i think) all the football life stuff, all the americas game, now going through the ESPN short films and their other documentaries, watched a good one on Herschel Walker in the week 

fury - very good, got a good mix between the grimness and violence of it all whilst still remaining a character study more than anything else, all of the 5 main characters are good, it looks and sounds great, like someone else said best war film probably since letters from iwo jima

Agree with your thoughts on Fury. I know a few of the guys playing as german extras and the guy who advised David Ayer on everything german in the movie.

Friday Night Lights - my favourite American Football movie.

Explosions in the Sky are essentially the soundtrack. What more could you want?

Way better than the TV show which was far too much like a soap opera for me. This film focuses on the story of the team with just a couple of minor sub-plots concerning some of the players but that's it. Brilliant.

FNL was great, but it's no Any Given Sunday. 

One of my favourite movie scenes ever. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs

"In any fight, it's the guy who's willing to die, who's gonna win that inch and I know if I'm gonna have any life anymore, it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch. Because that's what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face" 

Pacino is a god amongst men 

I'm a huge fan of Pacino, so it pains me to say this, but Any Given Sunday is absolute **** garbage.

It's nothing to do with Pacino, and Foxx put in a good performance too, but that film is just cheesy and totally shite. I really don't like Oliver Stone's style.

Filth (2013) - I thought this would be an exceptionally difficult book to put on the big screen but I think I did a good job of it! McAvoy is great as Bruce Robertson and a lot of the stuff in the book is in the film (obviously condensed). Some really funny moments in it as well. 7.5/10

• Like 2

Filth (2013) - I thought this would be an exceptionally difficult book to put on the big screen but I think I did a good job of it! McAvoy is great as Bruce Robertson and a lot of the stuff in the book is in the film (obviously condensed). Some really funny moments in it as well. 7.5/10

I thought it was decent although some of it felt forced and rushed. The tapeworm monologues were always going to be a challenge too far though I think.

McAvoy was great to the point I now picture him as Robertson in the book.

Going to watch the Station Agent again later, just to see Tyrion Lannister and Gyp Rosetti on the screen at the same time*

*and because let's face it, it's a **** superb film.

• Like 2

Â