The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yeah, dinner first, cinema later - preferably two or three dates later.

But cinema on the own is great fun. Spent fun times when unemployed earlier this year rocking up to good films at midday. Was awesome. 5 people about and could think about it over some cake at waterstones later.

Oh and watched Dazed and Confused a few days ago, an early Linklater film. Always enjoy his films that take place over a 24 hour span. Was pretty entertaining, save for a pretty woeful effort from Ben Affleck even then ( 1993 ). ( brackets two, although I am not a  Affleck hater, I was merely availing myself of the once regular sentiment that the chisel faced baboon was lacking in the acting chops department ) (( sorry donnie (

Edited by Rodders

Does anyone go to the cinema on their own?

I'm going to watch ^ on my own tonight and feel a bit weird for doing it. Not really sure why, it's not as if you can have a conversation with someone in there, but it does feel a bit "wrong" still....

I've no problem at all going to the movies alone. Especially on a scorching hot summer day.

Yeah, dinner first, cinema later - preferably two or three dates later.

Which date number is it OK to take her badger baiting?

Oh that's fine for a first date, social and cuts to the quick over any long term philosophical differences you may have straight away  :thumb: 

• Like 1

Frank - really enjoyed it, can imagine not a lot of people will, must have been one hell of a sales pitch to get that made

Railway man - disappointing, didn't pack any punches, good opportunity missed

Locke - ill use spoilers because there's a lot of it that I didn't like

the construction side of it, working in construction, I can tell you was by and large utter bollocks, I didn't like the made up football stuff, I didn't see the point of the accent, and the talking his dad stuff just seemed like a shit attempt to make it edgy

really disappointed! hardy was ok, some of the voice actors! especially his boss, were appalling

Edited by villa4europe

Interesting thoughts on Locke - personally found it incredible, I was mesmerised by Hardy from the off as it was such a nuanced performance of someone in utter inner turmoil.

As far as the other voice actors, I thought Olivia Colman, Ruth Wilson and particularly Andrew Scott were great.

Different strokes and all that.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

Kevin Smith's new film 'Tusk' is creating quite a buzz after it's debut at the Toronto film festival. 

Looks **** up in a great kind of way.

This is interesting. If you listen to the smodcast episode 259 you get to here the genesis of the whole film. All based on this phoney ad:

Walrus-Gumtree-Brighton.jpg

two in today

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser - 9/10 - love it - based on a 19th century German account - Kaspar has been imprisoned since birth by a captor who one day releases him and abandons him in a local village. Initially barely being able to speak it chronicles his stay ( over a number of years ) as the locals react both positively and negatively. A very human story really, and my favourite Herzog film so far. 

finally then got round to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy at the cinema this afternoon and it's as fun as everyone else is saying. Not that I've read the comics but I think Chris Pratt has been perfectly cast for the role. All the actors and voice roles were terrific. Has Jos Whedon ever failed with a film?

Probably, though you do know he didn't direct GotG, right? It was James Gunn, and he has made bad films before, Super and Scooby Doo to name two.

God Super was weird. The beginning an end of that film are like totally different movies. What is it about these so-called realistic takes on superhero movies that always seem to suffer with an identity crisis? Kick Ass was the same for me.

Alien Resurrection had some redeeming qualities but yes the movie was garbage

It's redeeming qualities were 

Ron Perlman

The dreadlock guy with the guns

And the captain who said that call was severely fuckable

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

So, me and the missus are considering going to the cinema on Friday, but there are no films that we really want to see. I want to watch Planet of the apes, but I know she don't. Then there's GotG but I don't know if that's for me. Or her. Then there's Maze runner, which I kind of feel most likely is shite. I wouldn't mind watching it, but not at the cinema. Then there's a new thriller with Phillip Seymour Hoffman, can't remember the title, which seems like it might be good, but I don't know. Anyone who knows which film I'm talking about and if so, anyone seen it and is it good?

Pride is supposed to be quite good too. About LGB folks providing support to the welsh miners during the miners strike, featuring bill nighy. Got good reviews anyway. Supposed to entertaining and funny despite a fairly serious storyline. 

Â