The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

1 hour ago, sne said:

FIFA have stepped in and cancelled Kieran Trippiers 10 week ban for breaching gambling regulations.

I’d love to know the details of this.

If it was just friend of a friend heard he was moving clubs then it’s incredibly harsh.

If Trippier is guilty in some part of suggesting someone profits from the transfer via the bookies then it’s another matter.

Valencia in bottom 3, what a horribly badly run club it's been in last 5 years.

Worst thing is they were actually getting things right in last few years, won Copa del rey v Barca and finished top 4 in 18/19. They sacked Marcelinho for takin the cup too seriously apparently.:lol:

Sold some big players but still got some good ones in the squad so morale must be at all time low.

Will be one of the biggest relegations in the major euro leagues we've seen for a long time given they won two La Ligas and made two CL finals in the 2000s.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2021 at 02:03, Genie said:

I’d love to know the details of this.

If it was just friend of a friend heard he was moving clubs then it’s incredibly harsh.

If Trippier is guilty in some part of suggesting someone profits from the transfer via the bookies then it’s another matter.

Probably shouldn’t be allowed to bet on this stuff I reckon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why do the FA have access to players private messages 🤔

I assume he would have volunteered it. 

I'd have told them to GTFO and ask them to prove it. 

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

I assume he would have volunteered it. 

I'd have told them to GTFO and ask them to prove it. 

Or someone grassed him up...

but regardless of that, it shouldn’t even be a crime. If the bookies want to have a book on it then it’s their problem if the player tells people it’s happening. I don’t understand why the FA are protecting the gambling companies profits.

Its back go front. The FA should have backed the player and said it’s up to him who he tells about a transfer. If paddy power or whoever want to take bets on it then it’s on them but the player cannot be held responsible for telling his friends and family he’s moving countries. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Whatsapp exchanges look a bit fake actually. Nobody types like that especially among friends

I thought that, but then if it’s fake then he’ll be suing them for lots of money and apologies.

Edit: everyone seems to be reporting the same transcript. Getting caught seems to have been triggered by the fact that the same friend put a whole series of bets on over a couple of days. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb. 

Edited by Genie

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Some interesting exchanges, as suspected he told his mates to “lump on”. Story here

C8-F46-EAF-AE89-444-A-9756-A5-AB9-B743-D

the 'lump on' text is probably the only incriminating part of that conversation...but should a footballer that has non-footballer mates put disclaimers before every conversation they have? "by entering into this conversation with myself you agree not to use this information for financial gain, either via gambling or otherwise etc etc"

but on the flip side, he is privvy to information that is not in the public eye. i have had access in previous jobs to company takeovers before they hit the public eye, and if i was found to message a mate or family member "buy shares in......" then i'd be sacked, even though i didn't do the share deals myself. there's almost certainly something in his contract preventing him releasing non public information to friends or family.

the thing is, virtually every scenario where he would talk to mates about goings on either in the club or personally could be gambled upon. "few of the lads are losing trust in the gaffer mate" could easily then lump on his manager being next to leave. "trying a new formation this saturday...some great new set piece drills too...lads are well up for it pal...should tune in to watch"...mates could then punt on atletico to win.

in this situation, he categorically knew his mate was betting as a result of the info being given. he should probably have told him not to. his mate makes the bets anyway, then at least KT is off the hook

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 2

Trippier has been charged with breaking several betting rules that are in place which he would have been aware of. Whether there should be betting rules for this kind of thing is another debate, but the fact is he knowingly broke FA rules and seems to have been caught red handed.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I bet a lot of this goes on but he's a bit thick to do it on whatsapp. 

If he had any sense he’d have written “I can’t condone betting on it as it’s against the rules, please do not do it”

then giving him a quick ring to tell him to lump on...

• Like 2

Â