The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Ronaldo has 16 goals in 21 la liga matches and 11 goals in 6 champions league matches this season. How in the world is that a decline and why would Madrid sell a player that is still averaging at least a goal a game? 

Messi has 11 goals in 15 la liga matches. Is he also on a decline? 

• Like 2

Because football isn't just stats...

Ronaldo is definitely on the decline, he's lost a yard of pace and had to reduce it by a step over, the thing is he's obviously set the bar ridiculously high so "decline" doesn't mean he's become shit, think the biggest problem is him tweaking his game because at times I've seen him this season he looks frustrated with himself

But will Ronaldo choose to step down a level and go stat chasing? Wouldn't put it past him, think he's got 1/2 years left at Madrid though, they'll cash in on James this summer and IMO there's no one close to replacing Ronaldo available right now, PSG will go for hazard or James

On 25/01/2016 at 01:00, The_Rev said:

Madrid don't appear to give a shit about financial pragmatism though, they almost certainly receive some form of state aid (lol training ground) and see themselves as too big to fail. 

I'm sorry Rev but even though I'm no fan of theirs, I can't let that pass. These myths continue to persist despite there being zero evidence of anything like that. Most people have no idea exactly what that training ground sale was all about, most who have heard about it think the club sold it to the Council. Not so. 

12 hours ago, supernova26 said:

The fact he get's heavily boo'ed everywhere he goes doesn't seem to help matters either, being an emotional guy.

He doesn't get boo'ed, he gets the **** taken out of him.

The reason why fans at other grounds make that noise can be seen on this short video:

Eden Hazard and Lewandowski are supposedly the targets this summer for them. I find it hard to believe James fits in with that. Which is why they will most likely sell him next summer (or perhaps even this) and probably get the same price they paid for him.

I think whatever happens Bale is the forefront of the post Ronaldo era or atleast certainly looks that way.

Balague seems convinced that Benzema and Ronaldo will be sold in the summer. Benzema is the ultimate Perez vanity project, Higuain was always the more dangerous striker yet was always criticized in media from "insider" sources and sometimes coaches told to drop him

26 minutes ago, gordoncharles said:

I'm sorry Rev but even though I'm no fan of theirs, I can't let that pass. These myths continue to persist despite there being zero evidence of anything like that. Most people have no idea exactly what that training ground sale was all about, most who have heard about it think the club sold it to the Council. Not so. 

it still hasnt been decided yet has it?

they bought a plot of land of the council for £300k, sold it back to them 10 years later for £20m...a rate of growth that london wouldnt be able to touch, and also funnily enough the value of the plot of land opposite the bernabeu which real were seeking to redevelop...yep nothing to see there...

last thing i saw on it the EC had the land independently valued at £10m and real were going to be fined for the difference, which will no doubt be appealed and dragged out for another couple of years

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it still hasnt been decided yet has it?

they bought a plot of land of the council for £300k, sold it back to them 10 years later for £20m...a rate of growth that london wouldnt be able to touch, and also funnily enough the value of the plot of land opposite the bernabeu which real were seeking to redevelop...yep nothing to see there...

last thing i saw on it the EC had the land independently valued at £10m and real were going to be fined for the difference, which will no doubt be appealed and dragged out for another couple of years

I am pretty sure The Rev was referring to the 2003 sale of the old training ground near the stadium from which Real Madrid realised 480 million euros.

The transaction you're referring to is also under investigation, but let's be honest, 10 million or 20 million, it's chicken feed to them. Real Madrid's annual turnover is 660 million.

sorry, you mean when they sold the plot of land their training ground was on to the local government for far more than it was worth and then bought a bigger plot of land on the outskirts of town for less than it was worth

in a transaction that coincidentally wiped out their debt 

its not an anti-madrid thing, they all do it, catalonia banks and local businesses have poured money in to barca for years, im surprised that when this thing came out about them signing under age players from non EU countries came out that more wasnt made of the local businesses giving the players parents token jobs in order to try and create a loop hole, it was the dad who transferred to a construction firm in the city, the son just happened to move with him...

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

sorry, you mean when they sold the plot of land their training ground was on to the local government for far more than it was worth and then bought a bigger plot of land on the outskirts of town for less than it was worth

in a transaction that coincidentally wiped out their debt 

its not an anti-madrid thing, they all do it, catalonia banks and local businesses have poured money in to barca for years, im surprised that when this thing came out about them signing under age players from non EU countries came out that more wasnt made of the local businesses giving the players parents token jobs in order to try and create a loop hole, it was the dad who transferred to a construction firm in the city, the son just happened to move with him...

What you described is how that deal is usually portayed but the training ground was not sold "to the local government for far more than it was worth".

The Council re-zoned the land. In return for that Real Madrid had to cede some of the land to the Council (that being standard practice in Spain). Both then sold the re-zoned land to private investors - in other words for exactly what it was worth. Those private investors then built the Four Towers on the site. Madrid Council actually made a considerable amount of money out of it.

If Ronaldo is really starting to struggle a bit, then maybe moving more central is a realistic option for him? Ronaldo has always had good positioning and he is an aerial threat. Maybe he can still bang in tons of goals till his mid 30s play as a striker? 

Bale plays central. He wants the central "free roam" role and that was supposedly one of his fears that it would end when Benitez left (according to The Telegraph/Guardian anyway) but so far he still has that role under Zidane which perhaps further strengthens the rumour that Bale is seen as the main player now at Real Madrid.

Benzema plays centre forward at the moment and quite frankly it would be mad even by Madrid standards to drop him considering his current form.

Today's L'equipe supposedly states PSG have 300 million euros to spend, you'd imagine they would probably try to sign Ronaldo especially if Ibrahimovic leaves which looks likely.

On 26/01/2016 at 10:59, Zatman said:

Balague seems convinced that Benzema and Ronaldo will be sold in the summer. Benzema is the ultimate Perez vanity project, Higuain was always the more dangerous striker yet was always criticized in media from "insider" sources and sometimes coaches told to drop him

Balague knows nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

he is worse than Twitter ITK. think he only got a job on Sky as he was only person that spoke Spanish when it was launched

I am still waiting for that cast iron deal of  Aguero and Falcao to join Real Madrid after serving a season at Monaco and Citeh.

You know....as Athletico won't sell to a rival.
Any day now.

Also, his ITK that Moyes won't be sacked, a week before he was sacked.

Imagine the shittest red top journalist you can think of going to Spain and being held with the reverance sky hold this guy in.

He knows nothing, he has no contacts. Why he gets airtime is beyond me.

I fully expect Benzema and Ronaldo to sign new deals next week now.

Â