The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

The other thing to keep an eye on is exactly what action (if any) Platini and UEFA decides to take a. in order to try and resolve the situation or b. if any Spanish side fail to pass any future financial test to gain entry into European competition.

The La Liga bubble bursting will probably mean a European Super League. If the interest in the domestic competitions dies due to a sustained lack of competition in the league meaning that only European football matters in Madrid and Barcelona, then how can Real and Barca sustain themselves on only 13 fixtures a year?

• 1 month later...

I was at the Santiago Bernabao this weekend to watch Real Madrid vs Osasuna. I have to say it was a brilliant experience, the hot spanish ladies at the game was memorable. It was all to easy for Ronaldo, they give him loads of space and he just punished them constantly, however defensively Madrid are bloody atrocious, it got me thinking that if a direct team played against Madrid they would be punished, they just didnt know how to defend crosses. It is a great stadium, brilliant atmosphere and some great football played. I don't know if Villa fans watch the opposition in pre-match warm ups when they have a pass and move between the 10 players, Real Madrid use this in theirs but the technique was out of this bloody world.

Barcelona have all but sealed the league with their 3-2 win this evening. Have some stats:

The Guardian"]

• Real Madrid have won 17 of their last 18 games and Barcelona 17 of their last 20

• Real Madrid, who have 92 points with two games to play, could finish with 98 points and not win the league; in 1999-2000, Deportivo la Coruna won the league with 69 points

• Real Madrid could finish the season with 19 wins in 20 games and not win the bloody league!

• If Barcelona and Real win their last two games they will finish with 99 and 98 points. 99+98 = 197. Even Scotland, supposedly the home of the two-horse race, can't beat that: the record is 194 in 2002-03

• Since La Liga went to 38 games a season and three points a win, there has only been one previous instance of two sides finishing with 80 points in the season, never mind 90, never mind 98

• Barcelona have already beaten the record for points in a La Liga season: Real's 92 in 1996-97. And that was in a 42-game season. Real have already beaten the record for wins in a La Liga season: Barcelona's 28, also in 1996-97.

Statistically speaking, the current Barcelona and Real Madrid sides are both the best teams in their respective histories.

When I first heard that this was statistically the best Real Madrid side ever, and they still weren't going to win the league, I could only imagine what their supporters were thinking. This is the best they've ever been and it's not good enough, mind boggling.

When I first heard that this was statistically the best Real Madrid side ever, and they still weren't going to win the league, I could only imagine what their supporters were thinking. This is the best they've ever been and it's not good enough, mind boggling.
Bit like blose having their best season since 1951 and still being below us.

Relegation places going into the final league game :shock:

## TEAM           P   W    D    L    F    A   Pts  GD
16 Malaga 37 7 15 15 41 47 36 -6
17 R. Santander 37 8 12 17 40 59 36 -19
------------------------------------------------------
18 R. Valladolid 37 7 15 15 37 58 36 -21
19 Tenerife 37 9 9 19 40 73 36 -33
[/code]

If my calculations are right, this is the head to head between the 4 teams. Primera doesn't go to goal difference if points finish level.

TEAM       P W D L  F  A  Pts GD
Valladolid 6 1 5 0 7 6 8 +1
Malaga 6 1 4 1 8 6 7 +2
Tenerife 6 1 4 1 8 9 7 -1
Santander 6 2 1 3 7 9 7 -2[/code]

So I think Santander need to get something at home to Gijon. Because the other sides have hugely difficult games. It's not looking good for Tenerife.

R. Santander v Sporting Gijon

Barcelona v R. Valladolid

Valencia v Tenerife

Malaga v Real Madrid

So the result wont be 8-0. Man you must've lost a fortune on that today as it seems to have really wound you up. Valladolid will be well beaten. We can re-visit this thread when they are.

So the result wont be 8-0. Man you must've lost a fortune on that today as it seems to have really wound you up. Valladolid will be well beaten. We can re-visit this thread when they are.

No just hate Chelsea and think Wigan took a dive. I think Valladolid have more to play for and could draw

No just hate Chelsea and think Wigan took a dive. I think Valladolid have more to play for and could draw

Wigan were on top until they had a man sent off and the penalty was scored. Having 11 men against Chelsea is hard at the best of times.

Wigan were on top until they had a man sent off and the penalty was scored. Having 11 men against Chelsea is hard at the best of times.

Was only 6 minutes and more Chelsea nerves than Wigan good play. Mario Melchiot should never play English league again

Potentially huge news from Spain:

The Guardian"]

La Liga, the top division of Spanish football, is set to split from the country's second tier in a bid to remain competitive with its European peers, according to the governing body which oversees the top two divisions.

After a meeting in Madrid, the LFP said agreement had been reached to begin discussions on how to go about creating a separate division similar to England's Premier League or Italy's Serie A.

"The new system of organisation and development will allow a much more attractive and better-run competition than the current one," read an LFP statement. It was unclear if the governing body itself will have any role in the proposed new top flight.

"A series of working meetings will start from 21 June to study the best way of putting [the plan] into practice," read the statement, adding that mechanisms would be established to control club finances and ensure ways of helping clubs in lower divisions if they are relegated and get into difficulties. The goal is to reach an accord before the start of next season.

They are a bit vague with the details, but the biggest strength of the Premier League is the collective bargaining of the division. Italy copied our model recently whereas before they had the same system as Spain with each club negotiating their own deal.

In England we dont get clubs earning £120m+ from TV companies like Barcelona and Real Madrid do, but we dont have the problems that clubs outside of the big two in Spain have either. I'm not sure how Barcelona and Real Madrid will react to the changes if they do happen because it will cost them a metric fuckton of money and make their rivals stronger. But then if you are in charge of La Liga and have a situation where the gap between finishing second and finishing third is almost as big as the gap between finishing third and being relegated then you probably do have cause to worry.

Â