The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

But I guess 7 wins from their last 8 games was a contributing factor too.

Ya think? Amazing that a team bottom could DO that in the first place and that's what's most amazing. 7 wins from 8 after getting 5 wins from the first 30.

What was also amazing was that Real Betis went down on the last day of the season despite not having been in the relegation zone at all since game day 6 (when the embryonic league is still all sorting itself out).

1. Espanyol should not have been rock bottom at the first place. Their squad is a lot better than what we saw from them. That is why, the moment they managed to chain a couple of wins, their rising confidence and their great squad allowed them to make a great run for it. I like Espanyol. They always try to play football and do not try to settle for the draw.

2. Forget Betis, take a look as Sporting Gijon. They had an incredible season. After getting 6s and 7s in the beginning of the season, they came to realize that defending wasn't one of their strength. So instead of putting all men behind the ball, they chose to goo all out attack. They survived the drop with a goal difference of -37 !!!

2. Forget Betis, take a look as Sporting Gijon. They had an incredible season. After getting 6s and 7s in the beginning of the season, they came to realize that defending wasn't one of their strength. So instead of putting all men behind the ball, they chose to goo all out attack. They survived the drop with a goal difference of -37 !!!

Yeah I looked at that. They were incredibly entertaining. They only drew 1 game all season and they tended to win by 3 or 4 or (more often than not) lose by 3 or 4. As I was entering the results week by week I was actually following their progress hoping they stayed up :lol: Osasuna looked ropey for a while too but even while they were bottom of the league early on they were one of the best defences in the league so they always had the potential to escape which they duly did.

Osasuna is a strange team. I read about them a bit when they looked doomed. It seems that what interests their supporters is that the players play strong and show a lot of dedication. Their first manager tried to play attractive football and the supporters practically gave up of the team. They stopped showing to matches and the combination of this alongside the squad's lack of quality, brought them to the brink or relegation. When Camacho became the manager, he made sure his players give 120% on each match and put the good football aside, and started hoofing long balls all over the place. The result was immediate - the crowd was back and the team was saved.

Osasuna is a strange team. I read about them a bit when they looked doomed. It seems that what interests their supporters is that the players play strong and show a lot of dedication. Their first manager tried to play attractive football and the supporters practically gave up of the team. They stopped showing to matches and the combination of this alongside the squad's lack of quality, brought them to the brink or relegation. When Camacho became the manager, he made sure his players give 120% on each match and put the good football aside, and started hoofing long balls all over the place. The result was immediate - the crowd was back and the team was saved.

So they're the anti-Newcastle, then...

Oh shit Real Betis is relegated. I didn't even know that :(

Yup, on the last day :( And they're for sale @ €60m as a result IIRC.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

Heard a nice stat today about the two big money signings in La Liga this season, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic. Both players have had the best start by a new signing in the history of their respective clubs, which considering some of the massive names that have signed for those clubs over the years is very impressive.

Ronaldo has scored in every game he has played for Madrid. 7 goals in 5 games. 5 in 4 (3 starts, 1 sub) in La Liga. 2 in 1 in the Champions League. He has played twice this week in La Liga and scored in the first minute of both games.

He knows where the back of the net is. Seems the massive transfer fee isnt giving him too much pressure either. Wonder how many goals he will bag this season?

A lot of people questioned Ibrahimovic's transfer. Yes, Barcelona paid a hell of a lot of money for him and shipped out Eto'o. I have stated my opinion on this a couple of times on here, firstly it was a fantastic deal for Inter on paper, but Eto'o wasn't quite the asset to Barcelona as he first appeared. He only had a year left on his deal, of that year he would be spending a chunk of it at the African cup of nations. He was never going to sign a new deal at Barcelona and there were lots of stories about him not being a popular figure in the dressing room with his fellow players or the coaching staff. For all the good work on the pitch he did, it seems a lot of people at Barcelona couldnt or didnt enjoy working with him off it. If you have the money, and Barcelona clearly do, then replacing him was probably necessary.

Ibra was a massive asset to Inter. He was on a long contract, he had just had the season of his life and he was very much the star player of the champions of Italy. It was going to take a very pretty penny to get him away from Inter.

Anyway, he has also had the best start to a season from a new signing in the history of his new club. Not quite as spectacular as Ronaldo, but he has still scored in every game he has played in La Liga this season. 4 games, 4 goals, and a cracking backheeled assist the other night.

Messi has 5 goals in 4 games. David Villa has 5 in 4 games for Valencia. Forlan has 2 in 4. The race for the golden boot in Spain this season looks like it is going to be fun :D

Im loving La Liga this season. By far the main reason ive just got Sky Sports at home! Cant wait for my El Clasico party at the end of November!

Went to the Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona match at the Bernabeau in May, was completely biblical.

If I wasnt biased towards Villa, i'd rather follow Spanish football than English.

Tbh Ronaldo was always going to do well in La Liga.

The defenders are no where near as rough in that league, nor is the general style of play. So if he can score 40+ here i wouldnt be surpised if he got 50+ over there.

Same with Ibrahimovic, he's massive for that league, physically. So i wouldnt be suprised if he scored a shit load of headers this season.

I'm taking part in a Primera Liga fantasy league so that I HAVE to learn it better. Enjoying it so far and have already won a few bob too.

Sporting Donkey currently beating Tharagotha 1-0 at the half. See, I even have the names down :nod:

it could be like the prem, full of interesting mini leagues

Yeah, and Xerez :P

Wouldn't give up hope on Sevilla yet. They look very solid and the most likely to keep up with them.

I'd absolutely love to see an Premier League vs La Liga super game, the best players from each league. I think La Liga would probably be favourites, but when you think about it, English teams always do best in the CL..

Wouldnt write off Xerez yet Gijon took a load if beatings last year and stayed up in the end

Yeah Gijon lost their first 5 games a combined 20-6 but they won their next 4 on the bounce. I just don't think Xerez have that in them.

Â