The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

What the Premier League era has done is made Premier League teams so rich that the better foreign players couldn't resist the allure. Up to that point, barring a few exceptions, British players stayed in Britain and Europeans stayed in Europe, with the better ones gravitating towards the Réals and Bayerns. But as The_Rev says, given the success of British clubs in Europe, that makes their players just as 'top' as the Europeans, if not in prestige certainly in ability. And as I've said earlier, Réal are the original Chelsea, being bankrolled by their own government so they could 'represent' Spain internationally. It's also just plain wrong to say that "it's only in the last 10-15 years that United have become a global name". Sorry but that's a ridiculous comment.

What the Premier League era has done is made Premier League teams so rich that the better foreign players couldn't resist the allure. Up to that point, barring a few exceptions, British players stayed in Britain and Europeans stayed in Europe, with the better ones gravitating towards the Réals and Bayerns. But as The_Rev says, given the success of British clubs in Europe, that makes their players just as 'top' as the Europeans, if not in prestige certainly in ability. And as I've said earlier, Réal are the original Chelsea, being bankrolled by their own government so they could 'represent' Spain internationally. It's also just plain wrong to say that "it's only in the last 10-15 years that United have become a global name". Sorry but that's a ridiculous comment.

I am sorry , but how so? United were hardly a global name back then. Real Madrid had always been a massive name.

Well, it wasn't. El Beatle is (famously) the nickname George Best was given by the Portugese press after the 1968 European cup final. English football was very fashionable back then.

I am sorry , but how so? United were hardly a global name back then. Real Madrid had always been a massive name.

United were a global name back then.

United were a global name back then.

SKY/ESPN-STAR did not have a presence in Asia back then. Thats more than half of united's 'global' fanbase. Unless you consider the Great Britain, Ireland and a couple of Scandinavian countries as 'global', in which case I concur , United were a global name back then.

But then all you are doing is arguing that Real Madrid were a bigger name in countries that Spain/Portugal spent three hundred years colonising.

Real madrid is the biggest club in the world and has been for 60 years. They have consistently won trophies, have an amazing stadium and teh museum is just amazing. Also the who's who of great players to play for teh club is amazing.

Not one team in the world comes even close.

But then all you are doing is arguing that Real Madrid were a bigger name in countries that Spain/Portugal spent three hundred years colonising.

Lets put it this way , how many FIFA wpoy and Ballon d'or winners have been English? Now you will say they are biased against the English :P :winkold:

This discussion is changing slightly. No-one ever said Utd were as big or bigger than Real. My only point was that United have been global for more than 15 years. Mine begins and ends there. I have no argument with RM being the biggest club on the planet.

To be fair, I'm sure some South American clubs rival Madrid and Manure in terms of fanbase.

The Brazilian League will be **** huge in 10-20 years, mark my words.

I tend to agree as Flamengo have a huge fan base in Brazil and Japan.

To me biggest 5 teams are

1. Real Madrid

2.Boca Juniors

3.Flamengo

4.Man United

5. River Plate

Nope, but I will point out you are moving the point of the argument.

I guess it has got lost in translation. So what we all agree upon is that RM is a bigger brand than Utd and can attract any top player from any club. Let us leave it at that. :)

1. Real Madrid

2.Boca Juniors

3.Flamengo

4.Man United

5. River Plate

River fans will have something to say about that.

Nope, but I will point out you are moving the point of the argument.

I guess it has got lost in translation. So what we all agree upon is that RM is a bigger brand than Utd and can attract any top player from any club. Let us leave it at that. :)

1. Real Madrid

2.Boca Juniors

3.Flamengo

4.Man United

5. River Plate

River fans will have something to say about that.

Lets have a five page debate about it! :lol:

(and please dont put words into my mouth about Real Madrid. ;)

Â