General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

General

I'm sorry you have to come on here and read so many complaints. Rest assured there are still many fans, perhaps the silent majority, who realise the club has taken great strides forward over the last few years, who realise success can't come instantly or just by throwing money at players and who are not panicing after 2 games. I hope Randy, MON and yourself will be at the club for many years to keep up the good work and steady progress we are undoubtably making.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9. Literally for the umpteenth time, upgrades to facilities does NOT impact transfer funds. There is NO correlation.

Sometimes budgets have to be changed and money in one budget has to me moved into another. What I was saying with my post that fans who rather see a larger transfer budget than fancy glass windows etc

The money for either budget must come from Randy bank account!!!!

Hi General,

Just got back from the Vienna game, shame about the result but sure we can turn it around next week. I would just like to thank yourself for putting me in touch with Nicky Keye. She and Tina Williams in the ticket office were fantastic answering my questions and sorting me a ticket out for the Villa end last night. Picked it up at the stadium with no hassles. Am quite sure other clubs wouldn't have gone to such lengths to please 1 fan.

Thanks Again UTV

Austrian Villa

General,

when it all settles down and we look back to the transfer dealings of 2009 it has been nothing short of comical. To reach the end of August and not have replaced the players who made our team such a force in the previous campaign is beyond a joke.

To then further deplete the squad by selling our covering CB which now leaves us possibly short for the Liverpool game due to Davies' injury, our SECOND game in the season.

If it is MON's job to sort this out (his own words), and he doesnt, what is going to happen further down the line to avoid a repeat?

General Krulak here:

1. Richard: No. It means that location is just one of the many issues that a player considers as he makes the choice as to what Club to play for. Just ONE of the issues.

Thanks General.

Is location the ONE that is causing the most problems currently?

Finally, to write and tell me that you no longer will be coming to the games...that Fans will show their displeasure by not attending...etc. etc. I can understand such feelings but not the way they are put across...almost like a threat. We, as Fans, start thinking like that and we could easily get into a "death spiral." NOW is when we need to support the team...NOT start threatening the Team.

I know conversation pieces are looked down on in this thread, and rightfully so – but I’m hoping that this one can stay up as it’s being directed towards yourself.

The second half of last season was really, really disappointing for me. I’ve been a season ticket holder for eleven years now – which is nothing in comparison to others on this website, but as you can imagine from the stories that you must have been told – there have been a number of disappointments throughout those years. However, the last half of the season was the biggest disappointment that I have felt through these years.

The problem was last year’s downfall could be spotted from a mile off. It was obvious it was going to happen. We had a tiny squad of players who could be depended on, and when we got to January there was genuine excitement that should we add to that a real quality player and supplement that with just one or two others then that fourth place was ours. We didn’t, and we never looked like doing it. We signed Emile Heskey, who I’ll happily admit I thought would be bloody good for us. Unfortunately, he hasn’t. And it appears to have upset the one striker we have who actually scores goals in the process.

But I digress. That lack of action cost us. It cost us money – in terms of two places dropped in the league, and the huge amount involved in the Champions League (and I hate to think about the money I had personally wasted going to the UEFA Cup and Intertoto games). It cost us in UEFA Cup competition with the manager having to pull out as he had decided the players couldn’t last it through. And it cost us morale – players heads dropping.

And I must admit that the decision to do that hit me, too. When Martin O’Neill took charge of this club I never thought I’d see us do such a thing. I didn’t have him down as a quitter. And that’s what he did by giving up that competition. He quit it.

And I found that incredibly frustrating. It was even more frustrating that had he not dithered in the transfer market over January, we may have been able to try to maintain our run.

I began to come to the conclusion that there wasn’t any point in this Villa stuff anymore. And as winless game after winless game went past last season I really couldn’t see the point in trying to renew my season ticket. What’s the point when the best the club is trying to achieve is fourth, and to do that they are throwing away cup competitions? No one has the divine right to win anything, but in my eleven years of a season ticket holder we’ve won nothing. And the way our manager has treated cup competitions since he’s arrived, we never will while he’s here.

As each game went past, we had one simple way of playing football. There was no second plan, no change of tactics. Can you remember how embarrassing it was when the Tottenham fans were singing “You’ve only got one plan” to us at Villa Park? And when things aren’t looking good, the same change happens – off comes a full back, on goes a slightly more attacking player which results in someone unfamiliar with the position slotting back in at fullback. And it’s never work.

All this ground me down. I genuinely had enough. I wasn’t renewing.

And then, on the last day before my seat was available to all, I weakened. I bought it. Under the strict advice to myself that I would under no circumstances pay for any early round cup competitions.

Perhaps things would be learnt from last season. A good enough squad would be brought in. There would be a change of style. Even when our best two players were no longer at the club – I fooled myself into thinking it’d be a chance to change things around. But nothing. We signed an expensive injured player who plays in one of the only positions that we actually do have covered (unless another player is to be played out of position) and we continued to sell players before having their replacements in.

This club’s motto is ‘Prepared’. This club hasn’t been prepared for a new season for years now.

My problem is that what we are seeing now is an extension of last seasons second half dross. The Wigan game came and there was no change. Same style of play that had failed for the previous 15, same full back change tom foolery, same lack of effort from players who shouldn’t be in the team, and same players being played out of position.

I want that excitement back. I want to believe that we can enter cup competitions and try to win them. I want to go to games thinking we might actually score a few today. It’s not acceptable for the team not to be ready right at the beginning of the season, let alone where we are now.

The fact that nothing has changed over the summer other than our squad getting smaller has just about put me back down to where I was at the end of last season. If people aren’t enjoying their football, which they are paying a decent amount of money for (which, yes is appreciated that it is less than a lot of others), then it’s not deserting the team, it’s not putting it in a ‘death spiral’ – it’s people choosing to spend their money on things they enjoy. I once went to see a Harry Potter film. It was crap. So I have chosen not to go the millions they’ve since released.

So that’s where I am. Low.

I’m off on holiday on Tuesday night where I’ll spend a week away from the Internet, television etc. Before Saturday’s realisation came across that we seem to actually be worse and nothing has been done to combat the slide from last season (I’m not saying nothing has been done, but anything that has been done clearly didn’t work!) I’d been trying to find places where I could watch the Fulham game on TV, and the European one too. Now? I don’t think I’ll bother wasting a couple of hours on my holiday and being depressed for the rest of the evening.

These aren’t threats. What I do on holiday really will be no interest for you. But I’m trying explain how interest in Villa from fans who have supported this club for years is waning. It’s the same circle repeating itself – rise from being crap, look like we might do something decent, fail to build on that, fall again. This time, I thought it was different.

Me? Well I’m off on holiday soon, not before the annual thrashing at Anfield. Hopefully when I get back there will be a number of new players – ones to replace the ones that have left. Ones that will help better style of play. Perhaps that’ll excite me again, get the juices going and not expect to go into games thinking we’ll lose.

Otherwise, if when I get back it’s just the same, I think I’ll be taking the advice that you often give out here and contacting Nicky Keye about options regarding sending back the season ticket.

It’s not a threat. I’m not saying that to try to bully you into buying players/fixing whatever is wrong. I’m just trying to explain the feeling, and WHY.

Why should I keep going to these games with a feeling of my heart sinking before I even get to the games? If I’m not enjoying it, then it’s a case of just leaving it behind for a while.

I’m sure I’ll get complained at, not a proper supporter, that I’m fickle. I’m a Villa supporter. Of course I’m going to be happy when we win, and unhappy when we don’t. That’s the very nature of being a football fan. You’d have to be an odd one if you were happy at losing games.

At the end of the day, there are more important things in life than football. Especially football that just isn't enjoyable anymore.

I know I’d never had said that this time last year.

Not a thread for a discussion but this needs saying. John we have had our disagreements on the past, and probably do again over the substantive reason behind the current woes, but that is a nice post worthy of front page debate.

Not a thread for a discussion but this needs saying. John we have had our disagreements on the past, and probably do again over the substantive reason behind the current woes, but that is a nice post worthy of front page debate.

Thanks Richard - much appreciated.

General, you keep repeating that Martin O'neill knows what needs to be done, but when you see that he has saddled us with some of the worst defenders I've seen at Villa Park, it's hard to believe he's going to turn things round. All of our decent teams of the past have been built on a solid defence, yet as we start our 4th season under the manager, we look like having one fit first teamer, and one youth team player without a single minute of competitive football to his name, as we head to one of the strongest teams in the league.

I know you won't talk about transfers in detail, and rightly so, but are you confident that when the transfer window shuts, that we'll be equipped for another decent season, and to not face the situation we did last year when we had to prioritise?

Also, is the free ticket offer for the Europa game a sign that the Villa fans are staying away in droves, as a result of the way we treated the competition last year?

rise from being crap, look like we might do something decent, fail to build on that, fall again.

says it all. General ,this guy is saying what most of us feel...it could of been me talking. Please take on board what is being said here. I know you will

General, I like to think things are not nearly as downbeat as they might appear. Just a year ago, I wrote this article on the site and many people seemed to feel the same as I did. For me those thanks I mentioned are still valid.

I think that if the weaknesses in the team get addressed, there's every reason to believe things will get back on track on the pitch. I think just about everyone who supports the team is worried by the form of the side and clear weaknesses in the team and squad, but I'm also sure that much of the comment feeds off itself and makes things seem a lot worse than they really are. It's the nature of football and football fans. The media too will tuck in with relish to a manager for a month, before going on to their next target. MO'N looks like the prime candidate for the first media feeding frenzy at the moment.

General,

I have to say that starting a season in the top flight with only 1 'fit' central defender with any top flight experience smacks of negligence to me!

How can the club expect to be competetive when it is so underprepared?

General, can you send a copy of Pilchards post to Martin?

I would like him to read it.

Well said Pilchard mate, youve spoke for a lot of us.

just coming onto to here, to ask the same question, about martin reading pilchards post, is that possible general?

I agree with that completely, i'd like Martin O'Neill to read that post. I fully support O'Neill but he is known throughout football as a stubborn man and maybe reading that will let him know that the situation is NOT ok.

As he says, it's not about being fickle, this is one of the worst runs in the history of the prem I believe and that shouldn't have been the case last January, it was OUR fault cause we didn't bring in players when we were in a brilliant and attractive position to do so and that lies at Martin's feet.

I am still going to go to all the matches but as said, throwing cup competitions like we did last year and have done so a couple of years was never what I thought O'Neill would do...I believed we'd win something, and this tiny squad gets smaller rather than larger every year, it seems we've completely lost our way and it's up to him to do something about it, but he isn't.

I have to admit that during the past two years of being on Villa forums, no other post has summed up my personnal feelings more than the one I have read from Pilhard....Firstly I am delighted the the General will not be awere of how I feel also, and secondly I am saddened that I will never have the capacity to express myself in such as a dignified,frank and honest manner.

Thank you Pilhard for that post