General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

The Barbarians are at the gates General and for the first time in the Lerner era a rather vocal section of Villa supporters are beying for blood and are determined to tear the club right back down into the mess it was in before. I for one hope that Randy has what his predecessor didn't on so many occassions: Courage, courage to ignore the noisy rabble, courage to stand by the great work he has already done, courage to back the players and manager and courage to see through his vision for the club. If theres one person who should know courage it's somebody who has spent his life around Marines like you General and his own father. I do hope the marine courage rubbed off on him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Barbarians are at the gates General and for the first time in the Lerner era a rather vocal section of Villa supporters are beying for blood and are determined to tear the club right back down into the mess it was in before. I for one hope that Randy has what his predecessor didn't on so many occassions: Courage, courage to ignore the noisy rabble, courage to stand by the great work he has already done, courage to back the players and manager and courage to see through his vision for the club. If theres one person who should know courage it's somebody who has spent his life around Marines like you General and his own father. I do hope the marine courage rubbed off on him.

Well said TSV! Our leaders are not sheep!

Great post TSV and I and many others echo those thoughts General.

I am confident we will come through this bad run and be stronger for it. We are 2-3 players short of having the best squad of players we have had in years and with 11 days to go of this transfer window the time for talking has passed and now action is required. I still have faith that the wheels are already in motion and the players required will be signed.

Am I right in my belief General?

Genaral,

Seeing both sides of the argument about MON I don't really know where I stand on the issue. Yes I was delighted when he was

appointed and couldn't wait for the following years to progress and looking back although I've been very disappointed in his actions

in the transfer window I realise that his job is not to perform in the transfer window.His job is to win football matches,in his own words he is a professional football manager and he is paid to win football matches. During the previous windows I've often heard yourself/Randy say to fans trust MON.That he is the manager with all the experience and knowledge to drive us forward and with all due respect to us we're "only" the fans we don't get to see what goes on at the training pitch everyweek. Well I have been trusting MON like you asked and it's still not good enough. I also trust Randy to do what is best for this club. I am a fan not an owner, I have no experience at running a football club. I trust Randy to do the right thing and continue to drive this club forward with or without MON, but as your well awere the gloss of a billionaire owner and a couple of 6th place finishes in the league and no cup runs is well and truely worn off. Attendances and unoffical polls are showing MON/Villa are not only losing a couple of games but also the additional fans that were brought back over the past couple of years. But most of all peoples perception of a BRIGHT FUTURE. Please end this groundhog club that we seem to have created........

General,

With respect,

You keep saying that MON sees what we see....etc etc. But we are so one dimonsional going forward... and we have no defence! We haven't invested like the top 4... MON knows what we need you say.....zzzzzzzz. I have faith in MON but if we don't spend like the top 5/6 do you REALLY believe we will finish in the top half??

I am starting to think that MON doesn't have the know how to buy smartly to keep us up there! Does MON have Scouts outside the UK? If he does, they need a kick up the backside!

I hope the marines don't send there troops to battle without their leader and tell them the rest of the guys will be here soon..maybe before the 1st sept but if not we'll try and do someting about it in JAN..........if it's atall possible ;) and if we cant get the best don't worry we'll get somebody before is too late.....but dont expect too much from them cause they'll need time to settle in cause they didn't have a preseason with us.

General, further to my above, if MON has scouts outside the UK...how do they justify their wage? I don't like to criticise, but if they do exist how do they justify their wage since MON came in?! I'd like to think you could provide a direct, honest answer...

General,

as others have said tonights performance was not good enough, and this isnt just a one off. we have only won 2 out of the last 18 competetive games!! however, i wont keep banging on about that and the lack of transfers/small squad etc.

what concerns me most is the managers actions and comments off and on the pitch. pre game he sounded depressed, as though the weight of the world was on his shoulders. against wigan and tonight he was stood on the sideline, looking pretty dejected. in terms of transfers it gone from we are looking to bring in 5 quality players, to we are hoping to get a few in

after the game he talked about how we would be fitter next week and how we would "wind up" as we played more games. to me that is an unbelievable comment. the season started last saturday, we should have been fully fit and ready to go, all the other teams seem to be. and we werent playing barcalona tonight, they are a championship level team who werent that good. its just we were worse

Martin is a smart guy General and done a great job for us, but how he has acted lately is worrying. we show now signs of stopping the rot of last season and we are dithering in the transfer market again. and to top it off martin sounds like he doesnt know how to fix things.

this is the first big test for the club under randy, and i really hope we come though it, and come through it quickly

Got to say im very worried right now too, i can see a long relegation battle ahead if something isn't done soon, the level of football is simply dreadful, we can't even play simple passes which is not good enough for any professional football team let alone a supposed top one.

Dear General,

Firstly Trentvilla asked a very valid question regarding the teams fitness etc quite a few pages ago and I would be interested to read your answer.

As a villa supporter travelling from kent I cannot justify the expence on travel and tickets. Our squad has been bare for 3 years now and apart from maybe 3 players has not been greatly improved upon. I am currently travelling but have been a season ticket holder for a few years. My friend has paid for my ticket but I have an option to buy it back when I get back to blighty, but I cant see that happening. This message is no in reflection to recent results, just an ongoing concern that is really boring to us villa fans. Regarding Laursen and Barry, I am pretty sure the management knew before the season finished that they would need replacing, yet the the season and Europa League have already started and we have no replacements, and if we are to believe the press then we really are in trouble.

My question is this,

1) Can you understand the frustrations villa fans are subject to giving our record in the transfer market since MON arrived?

2) Why the hell do we only look at domestic based players? Can someone not give Arsenal a call and ask how they do it?

Regards,

Tx

General, I was there at Villa Park on that glorious occasion when Martin O'Neill was introduced as the new Villa manager. I knew then as I struggled to get close enough for a handshake that I was in the presence of greatness. Mon is different! He will always do things in his own unique way.

I read today with pride that Aston Villa are now considered to be top of the "stewardship league" and would ask you to pass on to Randy my thanks for his stewardship of the club.

I would also like you to pass on a message to Mon for me: Villa fans like me are here for the longhaul and we understand the trials and tribulations of the transfer windows. Keep on doing your very best for us Mon, that's all we ask. UP THE VILLA!!!!

What's going on at our great club General? We are a shadow of the team we were 12 months ago, and whilst this isn't all MON's fault (Laursen retiring), he must take some of the blame. No one made him sell Barry at the start of the transfer window. Why didn't we sign a replacement before letting him go? We seem to be the only team in the country that lets players go without having replacements signed (or on the brink of signing) i.e. Zat Knight - still can't believe we don't have a replacement for him or Laursen. We are fast becoming a joke. We often sign over priced English 'duds' - do we actually scout abroad at all?? We play some of the most boring football I have seen in years - it was boring when we were on that great run last season - we just got VERY lucky in a number of games. We have a paper thin squad and it seems half of the first team have fallen out with MON. So quite a simple question really - what is going on????

2 wins in last 18 games is not good enough, something is very wrong with the management/team and we can only guess what this is, the body language of the manager and team seem very negative.

It is down to the board to sort this out.

Yes it is very nice to see these improvements to the ground but I am sure the average supporter would rather see the money spent on the team buying a better quality of player.

We know we have lost two key players in a small squad but the manager should have replaced them before the season started.

Spurs seem to manage this why not Villa do we always have to wait for bargains at the end of the transfer window.

General, this calender year has been nothing short of dreadful for Villa on the pitch. How is it after three years of Martin O'Neill our squad is still threadbare and packed with journeyman players that us fans thought we'd seen the back of since Ellis had left? When Lerner took over we as fans thought this club would be attracting players who were a step up from the days of Ellis, but three years on players like Knight, Shorey, Cueller, Routlidge, Salifou, Harewood, Heskey, Beye etc are still joining Villa much to the dismay and confusion of the fans. We STILL haven't replaced our two best players (Laursen and Barry), even though we knew they were leaving (eight months and twelve months ago). Back in January the goals dried up for Villa, but who did O'Neill decide to buy? Emile Heskey - a striker renowned for not scoring goals. You couldn't make it up!

General, this is bordering on the incompetence from Martin O'Neill.

Just what the hell is going on? I can tell you now General, a lot of Villa fans are feeling cheated at the moment. If we go into the season with the squad we have now we're gonna struggle big time.

I'm one very disillusioned Villa fan, and I know I'm speaking for a lot of Villa fans who feel the same.

Add to this the fact we (Royal we, The Club, Randy et all) are being complemented for Stewardship of the club will hopefully give Randy the extra strength and fortitude to ignore the clamourous rabble and do the right thing as he has done until now

Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

General....

Although a big part of me sides with the lads frustrtation on here at lack of " World Class" signings, i do believe MON will get it right, but it may take longer than we would all like.

I think football is cantering on at such a pace at the so called top 4,that the gap is getting wider and wider, but who knows what will happen to these lot that just chuck money at it willy nilly?

Aston Villa are building one brick at a time on solid rock foundations, and im sure it will all come fruition eventually, but not as quick as we would all like.

I sincerely hope that the likes of The Villa and Everton succeed in how they are doing things over the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City. I like Man city and hell if any set of fans deserve what they are getting now its Citys, they like us were there in the 3rd Division in their 30,000s every week.

What we have at The Villa is very good young side, being built by a quality manager and backroom staff. Martins job has become twice has difficult this season with losing The irreplaceable Martin laursen and World Class GB. We would have to spend £40 million to replace them just to stand still, with another £40 million to gain huge improvements.

We have the likes of Guzan, Milner, Ashley Young, Delfonso,Gabby,Davis, Albrighton all players that could be here a long time, with the right mix of the likes of Big John we surely have a bright future.

One thing is for sure- I will support the club forever more no matter what, and be proud of our history, theres only one Aston Villa and only ever will be! Remember my personal slogan " above all- we are Villa!"

General Krulak here:

1. Richard: No. It means that location is just one of the many issues that a player considers as he makes the choice as to what Club to play for. Just ONE of the issues.

2. Chindie: I think all the Fans have seen what you are seeing. The comments on this site and others bear that out. I have been in the motivation business all my life and it is a difficult thing to try and suss out...let alone understand. I see our Lads at practice...I know how MON works...and I am surprised when they aren't up at all times. MON is a great motivator and he has proven that ever since he has been at the Villa. After a loss like we saw against Wigan, it is hard for a Manager to come on the telly and be happy and upbeat. His team just lost a game they should have won. Likewise yesterday. He is the Manager and it is his job to get this sorted. History says that he will do just that. To turn our back on our Manager after one game into the Premiership is not a smart thing to do.

3. Attendence: We basically hit our attendence numbers for the Wigan game...what we projected would come. The only reason we were off at all was that Wigan came with such a small number. There are several reasons for the numbers we project...the principal reason is the economy. Peiople will pick and choose what game to come to. The Wigan game was a perfect example...no one knew it would end up the way it did but the attendence numbers were what they were.

4. The name Villain: It is not Club policy to call ourselves "Villains"...it is a historical term that has been used for a long time. I cannot imagine "dictating" that it not be used anymore.

5. Randy has made pretty tough decisions all his life. He did not get to where he is now and has not accomplished all he has accomplished by shying away from tough decisions. At the same time, he knows that very few good decisions come from letting emotions take over your thinking...or allowing others without all the facts to pressure a decision. My advice remains...allow MON and Randy to do what needs to be done.

6. tvillain: "allow the gloss of a billionaire owner and a couple of 6th place finishes." I can't comment on the "billionaire owner". If the happiness over Randy is simply that he has money...well, you have certainly missed a good deal about Randy and what he is trying to do with our Club. "a couple of 6th place finishes"...that seems pretty cold. I seem to remember we were in the high teens when MON stepped onto the scene. Let's not lose sight of some very basic facts when it comes to both issues.

7. Joames06: Of course we have scouts and yes, they know where Europe is.

8. cockney_villa_1981 and many others: YES, we certainly understand that Fans are frustrated. We are not deaf nor are we blind. We are not just sitting on our hands. MON is not just sitting on his hands. I keep on reading about how other Clubs do things so much better...have made so many great transfer deals...have got this huge influx of players...etc. etc. Yes, there are a few Clubs that have made some deals (at HUGE cost...cost that makes no sense and may well hurt the Clubs in the future) but there are many other Clubs who have not. We have brought in some players. You may not like them and that is the Fan's perogative but the Manager knows what he needs and he is doing what he thinks is right. The proof will come at the end of the season, not at day one. BUT, to think we don't understand the frustration is incorrect.

9. Literally for the umpteenth time, upgrades to facilities does NOT impact transfer funds. There is NO correlation.

10. Finally, to write and tell me that you no longer will be coming to the games...that Fans will show their displeasure by not attending...etc. etc. I can understand such feelings but not the way they are put across...almost like a threat. We, as Fans, start thinking like that and we could easily get into a "death spiral." NOW is when we need to support the team...NOT start threatening the Team.

10. Finally, to write and tell me that you no longer will be coming to the games...that Fans will show their displeasure by not attending...etc. etc. I can understand such feelings but not the way they are put across...almost like a threat. We, as Fans, start thinking like that and we could easily get into a "death spiral." NOW is when we need to support the team...NOT start threatening the Team.

Couldn't agree more General. Times like these (which aren't even that bad anyway - we are one game into a new season!!) are when our character as supporters is tested. It's very easy supporting a winning team but when things aren't going well true 'support' shines through.