which striker would you choose in January?

TrentVilla

Which striker would you like to sign  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Which striker would you like to sign

• Ashton
    • RSC
    • Owen
    • Crouch
    • Defoe
    • Heskey
    • Jovanovic

like many ive been thinking a lot about this, for me there is one answer and thats Owen, The perceived problem is injury problems. I say perceived because of his history over the last 2 years when he had a cruciate injury, which Kept himout of the game for 12 months I think. Other than that he is no more injury prone than Carew. The thing is with owen is he is different. Different to say Defoe who to my mind is too similar to Gabby, He is an intelligent footballer who uses his brain or instinct to be in the right place at the right time. There is also the fact he has scored in big matches for big teams all through his career, dippers Madrid and England, even playing for a crap team like Newcastle he is only one goal behind Gabby. Defoe on the other hand is 3 behind (2 pens) playing for a possibly better team.

Then there is the profile of the club, Michael Owen plays for Villa. How good would that sound. Imagine trying to defend against the Villa with Gabby and big John, or if that dont work, Big john and Owen or if that dont work Gabby and Owen. We could play differently depending on the match.

As for getting Owen, well he's so close to 50 England goals all MON has to say is 60 grand a week, £3m sign on fee and by the way Capello has a season ticket at VP

Sorry for any errors, nice bottle of red here

Having thought a bit more about this, I can't see Owen happening. I can't see Owen and Gabby happening as a partnership at all really, Owen these days needs a partner ideally in my opinion and Gabby isn't the type he'd do well from imo, needs the big hold up man. I also can't see Gabby as benchable now. I can't see Owen coming here without assurances that he'll be a starter, which he wouldn't be and wouldn't get from MON. And he'll want paying an incredible amount. Those are without considering Carew as well.

It'd be brilliant to have him here, absolutely so. He's a great finisher and would get us goals. But I don't think he'd be a realistic acquistion right now, for all of the above. If he was willing to accept that he simply wouldn't be first choice and would have to accept oppurtunites as they come, then I'd bring him in all day long, especially if we had Heskey along for the ride too, and if we could maintain his fitness. It'd certainly be a gauntlet thrown down to the league. I think that might all be a bit too much to ask though.

No chance of MON going for him

He went for him before didn't he?

Or was he already at Celtic when he arrived?

If he goes for him I'd trust his judgement as he's worked with him before.

Out of all the names on that list, I'd have Heskey. We need someone to 'make it stick' when we're under pressure and if Carew isn't around to do it, step forward Emile.

I agree. But we also need someone to score some goals if (heaven forbid) Gabby gets

injured. It would be foolish not get decnt cover in January, and that means two strikers.

No chance of MON going for him

He went for him before didn't he?

Or was he already at Celtic when he arrived?

If he goes for him I'd trust his judgement as he's worked with him before.

I think he was talking about Adriano after the question I asked. I assume by the Celtic reference you were talking about Bellamy?

Santa Cruz for me, a great mix between Carew and Gabby i think.

He's pretty tall, contributes to build up play, technically good and knows where the net is, would work well either if one gets injured.

Owens too similar to Gabby and just too much of a liability.

Oh and i know i'll probably get laughed at for this but, if the Hare goes what about Matt Derbyshire? Young and a really good finisher, would be good to have as a backup.

I've been told that Heskey is coming for sure but I think MON might also sign a second striker - the papers are saying we are in for Bellamy which would make sense and be a good signing IMO. MON's worked with him before and with the right handling he can be top class.

I agree that Owen is unlikely as he would be tricky to partner and would demand a starting spot giving us selection problems. I don't think we will be in for RSC

in 4-4-2 with Carew / Heskey partnered with Gabby / Bellamy works for me.

or 4-2-3-1 with Carew / Heskey up front with Gabby / Young / Bellamy / Milner fighting it out for the three attacking MF places behind.

Exciting times

I agree with the general sentiment that ideally we'd bring in 2, and let Harewood leave. 1 of the Carew-type, so we've got an alternative when he's injured (Heskey the obvious; RSC, Jones or Ashton if we want to spend big) and the other a goalscorer who could play alongside/instead of Agbonlahor depending on situation (be this Defoe, Owen, Bellamy).

Personally I think it'd be better if one of these was younger and not someone who'd expect first team all the time (maybe there's someone from the Championship who could step up?) - as I think it'd be difficult to keep Agbonlahor, Carew and say, Heskey + Owen happy. But if we could manage it, that would be a brilliant set of strikers to have...I do fear Agbonlahor will tire later in the season, so it would be particularly nice to have someone like Owen to take the pressure off. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult in that, of those 4, at least one is likely to be injured at any one time!

In some ways, I'd quite like a different Newcastle striker, in Obafemi Martins. Younger, very pacy and has a bit of flair about him. Downside is that he's less consistent scorer.

Of course, there is always the outside chance we'll look further afield. Podolski would be brilliant, lots of potential and he strikes me as someone who'd fit into Premier League football well - downside being I don't think he'd sign for us! It would be great if we were at least trying to get someone of his calibre though, a young talent playing for one of the big international sides.

Finally, I don't understand the negativity on Heskey. As is acknowledged for England recently he excels at causing trouble for defences and making space for those alongside him. He doesn't have the skill of Carew, but he is probably more effective at that role of winning headers, holding up the ball. No defence would like to have Heskey the battering ram in the middle, and the potential of Gabby & Young running at them either side of him. He draws in two defenders, our pacy players can get in behind. It's a crude tactic, but it will get goals in the premiership.

Â