Running

trimandson

Tired of being a fat bastard, I've taken up running, well sort of.  I'm half way through the Couch to 5K app, and it's getting easier.  Nowhere near any sort of distance running yet, but everybody has to start somewhere I guess.

I started running using that. After the first couple of sessions of 60 runs I was absolutely knackered, now I do half marathons. It really does work well. Keep going!

I was HIIT running earlier today, and suddenly it just felt like someone stuck a knife in my back, right above my ass, and now i cant bloody move.

Think ill need some diclofenac.

Yikes! I've had some close brushes, but I've never actually had a collision while running. Well, I slid across the hood of a slowly-moving car once in Prague, but there was no damage to either me or the car. You rest up and take care of yourself.

I was HIIT running earlier today, and suddenly it just felt like someone stuck a knife in my back, right above my ass, and now i cant bloody move.

Think ill need some diclofenac.

Could be a few things but most bizarrely tight hamstrings or glutes. For back relief I would suggest just lying on your back and bend your knees then just turn them slowly from left to right. Glutes you could use a tennis ball on them and hamstrings stretch (I use a door frame, one leg up and one through the door) and roller if you can.

Good to see everyone is coming along well!! After a summer of injury and having my ironman cancelled I'm finally run training again and looking to be race fit by mid December to do some XC races for my club. Then come Jan/Feb it will be prep for London marathon followed by a summer of long distance triathlon. My main thing is to keep the swimming up as I can go months without swimming and then moan when I suck during the summer, may drop at least one run session a week to make sure I keep it up!!

So, as I said I started the Couch to 5K a month ago, and tonight I ran for 5.1K.  This may be my last post ever as I'm about to keel over and die, but for the next few seconds before that happens, I feel pretty chuffed with myself.

Fantastic mate well done, the buzz of reaching a milestone like that is simply amazing, incredibly pleased for you.

• Like 1

So, as I said I started the Couch to 5K a month ago, and tonight I ran for 5.1K.  This may be my last post ever as I'm about to keel over and die, but for the next few seconds before that happens, I feel pretty chuffed with myself.

Well done, did you get a little buzz enjoy it?

If so you might be in danger of getting the bug. Running in the autumn is a great time of year for it.

• Like 1

Cheers all.  Yes, I got an almighty buzz from it, as I cannot overstate just how unfit I was just a month ago, and I'm *almost* starting to look forward to it.  I always find the first 5 to 10 minutes incredibly hard going, but after that I just seem to get in a rhythm (albeit a slow one!) and settle down.  Last night the last 10 minutes were the quickest split I did.  Going to try to consolidate where I am now for the next couple of weeks, then try to step it up towards 10K.  Please keep the advice and comments going as it's incredibly helpful and motivating. 

• Like 1

Cheers all.  Yes, I got an almighty buzz from it, as I cannot overstate just how unfit I was just a month ago, and I'm *almost* starting to look forward to it.  I always find the first 5 to 10 minutes incredibly hard going, but after that I just seem to get in a rhythm (albeit a slow one!) and settle down.  Last night the last 10 minutes were the quickest split I did.  Going to try to consolidate where I am now for the next couple of weeks, then try to step it up towards 10K.  Please keep the advice and comments going as it's incredibly helpful and motivating. 

I may be stating the obvious but it got a little ‘easier’ after you got warm, its why you see some people running before a a race to get warm. I do it when want to try and get a good time, as your not starting fresh.

Also nothing wrong with stopping and walking intact i would say its key to improving fitness, interval training is used usually to improve speed. e/g run as fast as you can for a min, walk for a min etc. This can also be used when starting out, run a pace you can manage for a min walk for a min, it will improve your fitness in manageable controlled ways whilst not pushing you too much and getting down you cannot do it. Increase the time your running to walking ratio as it becomes ‘easier’.

• Like 2

Â