Running

trimandson

23 year old passed away near the finish line of the dublin half marathon today I was due to run it but couldn't due to work ...It kinda makes me more determined to continue on in my goal of a marathon next year while realising our number can be called at any minute  

• Like 2

I absolutely blew it in the 12km fun run I went in today. I went out way too hard early getting pulled along by the crowd and I was gassed after about 5km.

I ended up finishing in 1:12:11 which is about 7 minutes over my target, but it was good fun and I learned heaps.

• Like 1

I absolutely blew it in the 12km fun run I went in today. I went out way too hard early getting pulled along by the crowd and I was gassed after about 5km.

I ended up finishing in 1:12:11 which is about 7 minutes over my target, but it was good fun and I learned heaps.

So much of running is knowing your pace at a given time... unfortunately it appears the only path to this knowledge is experience. You'll crush it next time!

• Like 1

I swear by Mizuno's here (sayanora/hitogami). Nothing better than knowing what works, getting the old versions for clearance prices is brilliant!

I Started off with asics cummulus but didn't like them as I found them to be too soft, and switched to mizuno which I've been running in them for the past 5 yrs. I've also tried kinvara4 and ascis gel33 in the last 2 yrs and found them to be an instant path to shin splints/achilles issues regardless of how careful I was with easing them in.

Edited by villakram

A week since my last run (leg injury) ....I feel like shite like I have put on 2 stone :( ....been looking at some second hand gps watches as I dropped my phone a few times on the last outing the garmin 305 looks like a good allrounder cheap enough and had the virtual runner & training programs on the watch ...only thing is its bulky ....another one was the nike tomtom ....more stylish but a bit more expensive ....any thoughts other than the I just run to run guys :P

I had a really good run tonight in preparation for the half marathon i'm doing on October 11th.

I did a really nice gentle 15km run, ignoring time and just trying to maintain pace. I finished in 1:30 basically dead on, which I was really happy with given I stopped for a minute half way through to speak with some neighbours who were walking their dog. I'm really comfortably at that 6 minute km pace, and I definitely could have gone for another 5km lap at the end, but it was quite dark and I live semi-rurally where there isn't any street lighting.

I'm aiming to do a 5km and a 10km in the next week with a 20km next weekend, with maybe a couple of 5km runs in the week leading up to the race. I'm very confident i'll finish comfortably now.

Unbelievable really. If you'd told me 6 months ago i'd be running and expecting to finish a half marathon i'd have laughed at you. I'm really enjoying my running.

• Like 2

A week since my last run (leg injury) ....I feel like shite like I have put on 2 stone :( ....been looking at some second hand gps watches as I dropped my phone a few times on the last outing the garmin 305 looks like a good allrounder cheap enough and had the virtual runner & training programs on the watch ...only thing is its bulky ....another one was the nike tomtom ....more stylish but a bit more expensive ....any thoughts other than the I just run to run guys :P

TomTom are launching a new version of their runner cardio soon (adding mp3 player w/ bt streaming), so keep an eye out for the current version going on sale. I have it and love it, does gps, time and HR which is all I'm interested in.

Otherwise check out dcrainmaker's website, he has a really good and honest review section on gps watches so you'll know which ones to avoid at least!

• Like 1

I've had a bit of a training hiccup with less than 2 weeks until my half marathon. First cricket trial game of the season, playing against a team from a couple of grades above us, I batted at 3, was out there on the 5th ball of the innings and on my first ball copped it flush on my back thigh from their opener. I have a pretty colourful bruise and running is probably off the agenda for a few days.

Still aiming to get a 20km run done by Sunday, but I may skip a run early this week.

apparently did something to my thigh muscle left me able to walk but too much pain to run ...ended up at the physio last week and enjoyed a quick 5k tonight (probably shouldn't have) oh and got the garmin forerunner 305 for 50 euro second hand should be delivered in the next day or two ....really good training features on a budget big clear display only thing its missing the ant heart strap 

So the race i have been training since last year for has been cancelled due to the impending hurricane that will hit the east coast of the u.s. In the next few days, this was after i drove 100 miles each way from washington dc today to register, on the way back i got the email. Purchased a bloody race t shirt too. Time to enjoy american food and try and get myself into a good race to end the year when i fly home next week.

Â