Running

trimandson

Awesome running from everyone on here

Currently in training for the Twin Cities marathon on Oct 4th. Hit a new pr of 1:29 at a half last week, so on schedule for my target pace of 7min, i.e., 3:03

I hit 1:30 at a half earlier this year to set me up for my goal of 3:15 at London. I blew up at 20 miles with cramp and ended up finishing in 3:33. x2+15 wasn't enough for me, should've gone slower.

I'm finding it difficult to decide what pace to run my first marathon. My half time (1:33), would suggest around under 3:30 for a full, but thinking of playing it safe and aiming for 3:45 then seeing what's left after 20 miles. Any suggestions from those who have run a marathon before? My thinking is get around this one in a decent time, then try to hit 3:20-3:30 next year.

Also well pleased with my last half, came in a couple of seconds under 1:33, but it was about 22c on the day, so target for next year is 1:30....not sure if that's possible as don't think I could have run any faster than 1:33, the legs were done at the end!!

Anyone else running City of Birmingham 10k in Sutton Park next weekend?

I'd absolutely start at 3:45 pace (so about 8:30 / mile) and see how you feel after 20 miles.

The (HM * 2) + 15 formula only works for Marathon trained runners. If you'll find the distance a challenge, or if it's your first one I'd be quite conservative.

I read that a famous coach (forget who) said that if your 5 longest runs before a Marathon add up to 100 miles, you can do HM * 2 + 15, or even + 10. My longest single run before London was 20 miles and I bonked severely on the day.

• Like 1

I'd absolutely start at 3:45 pace (so about 8:30 / mile) and see how you feel after 20 miles.

The (HM * 2) + 15 formula only works for Marathon trained runners. If you'll find the distance a challenge, or if it's your first one I'd be quite conservative.

I read that a famous coach (forget who) said that if your 5 longest runs before a Marathon add up to 100 miles, you can do HM * 2 + 15, or even + 10. My longest single run before London was 20 miles and I bonked severely on the day.

That's what I was thinking, so thanks for confirming my thoughts as it were!! Yeah my first one, so not expecting to hit what the calculators are telling me...the (HM*2)+15 formula would have me around 3:20....maybe I'll target that for next year :-)

I reckon you'll hit 3:15 if you tried again, you planning on going for it again next year? While you bonked severely, it was still a great time (around 3:30ish IIRC from Strava!).

That's what I was thinking, so thanks for confirming my thoughts as it were!! Yeah my first one, so not expecting to hit what the calculators are telling me...the (HM*2)+15 formula would have me around 3:20....maybe I'll target that for next year :-)

I reckon you'll hit 3:15 if you tried again, you planning on going for it again next year? While you bonked severely, it was still a great time (around 3:30ish IIRC from Strava!).

Ohhhh that's you! I follow a few people who I can't remember where I follow them from. I'll give you more kudos from now on :-)

I'm in the ballot for next year. But I think I'm going triathlon focussed as I keep getting nagged. See what I can do at Blenheim. Just need to learn to swim properly. :-)

1:32 is a great half time. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting my first race today since I was about 10.  (A charity race, I don't see myself making a habit out of it) Lo and behold, rain and VERY windy. This 10k will not be run at record pace :)

Starting my first race today since I was about 10.  (A charity race, I don't see myself making a habit out of it) Lo and behold, rain and VERY windy. This 10k will not be run at record pace [emoji4]

Rain's OK. And so is wind, so long as it's following and not in your face. Worst ever wind and rain I experienced in a race was the Lytham 10 mile (coastal). I PB'd.

Tight oval-shaped course round open farmland, so half of the race was into the wind and a few steep climbs. Pure "running forehead first" session. 54.35 ant the 10k mark. Chuffed with the time. Now for some well earned ales. :cheers:

5I4H2i0.png

• Like 2

Nice, well done.

Did Stratford 10k this morning. Haven't been running a lot recently, been liking the challenge of starting from scratch on the bike. I wasn't expecting a lot so to get a course PB was nice. 42:08 on a fairly flat course with almost perfect weather. 6 months ago this would have been earmarked as a sub 40 race but never mind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/391234697

Very surprised how steady my pace was. Pretty much bang on 6:45 every mile. 2 * 21 minute parkruns. Next time it needs to be 2 * 20 mins :)

• Like 2

Treadmill is working wonders for me atm

I know it's not the same as running outside but because of a niggly achilles i'm forced to train for the brum half mara on it 

I'm able to run practically every other day at the minute which is a vast improvement on once a week on concrete

Edited by AshVilla

Well done guys!! Running has been a bit intermittent for me as achilies seems okay but been having pain in my knee due to my calves and hamstrings being so tight from the shit load of cycling i have been doing. Less than 3 weeks to my 'A' race of the season, swimming is rubbish as ever, but been reallly happy with bike and when i can run it seems to be at a good pace so hoping for a good time!!

• Like 1

I went for my usual 10km run today and half way through got a call from my wife telling me that i'd locked her out, so I had to detour back home, and managed 11.5km in 59.24, which I was really happy with because I didn't think i'd get under an hour given the detour. My last 5km or so was probably at my regular 5km pace, so it was good to be able to push

I've got my first couple of organised runs coming up, the first one next Sunday being a 12km fun run called the City to Bay in Adelaide, where i'll be one of about 10000 people. Given the run above, i've set my target at 65 minutes, but i'll be pushing for sub 60 if I can get it. I have no idea how i'll go really, as i've never run in a big event like this before. I imagine the extra pace i'll gain by getting caught up in the spectacle might be countered by having to dodge people early on.

After that, a mate is trying to rope me into a half marathon on October 11th. I'm not quite sure that i'm ready, but i'll probably have a go. I guess I can just run really slowly! The furthest i've run so far is about 15km on a flat track, this will be 6 extra kilometres with some mild hills. I'll hopefully get another couple of 15kms and a 20km in between now and then, but i'll definitely have to up my training, which is a good thing looking forward if I want to get serious about doing longer distances.

Im looking to do a half marathon ....I have cut back my running to 10k ever second day ....picking up a fair few niggling injurys the last month as well ...probably need to cut down a bit and let the body recover 

I've found the same thing as well. I'm mainly running on roads or the fairly hard dirt verge, so I find I need a bit of recovery time to avoid niggles. I had a sore ankle I had to rest for 3 or 4 days, but feeling really good now. I just want to manage myself well going into the two events coming up. I need a lot of miles in my legs without injuring myself.

Good to read about everyone elses running!

For those picking up niggles, just cut back your mileage every other week, don't try to increase mileage every week oh and take it easy pace wise too.

City of Birmingham 10k last Sunday, went off too fast in the first mile and then the last mile was a struggle, but managed a PB (41:17), so hoping to get a 40:xx time next year, glanced at my watch at 5k and was 20:40, so 20:37 for the last 5km, so a pretty even split.....however need to try a Parkrun again soon as pretty sure I can beat my current best of 20:18, but question will be if I can get under the magic 20 minute mark, that's for later in the year though.

Final long run of my marathon training, 22 miles done Sunday just gone including the last 5 at marathon pace which felt tough. Time to trust in the taper now and will see if the training worked!

• Like 3

Good to read about everyone elses running!

For those picking up niggles, just cut back your mileage every other week, don't try to increase mileage every week oh and take it easy pace wise too.

City of Birmingham 10k last Sunday, went off too fast in the first mile and then the last mile was a struggle, but managed a PB (41:17), so hoping to get a 40:xx time next year, glanced at my watch at 5k and was 20:40, so 20:37 for the last 5km, so a pretty even split.....however need to try a Parkrun again soon as pretty sure I can beat my current best of 20:18, but question will be if I can get under the magic 20 minute mark, that's for later in the year though.

Final long run of my marathon training, 22 miles done Sunday just gone including the last 5 at marathon pace which felt tough. Time to trust in the taper now and will see if the training worked!

You'd smash 20:18. Try Brueton PR.

There are obviously a lot of good experienced runners on VT so I would like a little help/advice.

I have entered my first marathon. The Greater Manchester marathon next April. I currently run between 3 and 4 times a week and each run for between 8 – 12 miles. At these distances I can pretty comfortably overall average around 8:20 – 8:30min/mile pace and I have been running pretty consistently 3-4 times a week for the last 2 years or so.

I have though never ran further than a half marathon. I would like to do a time of under 4 hours for the marathon and wanted to know how realistic this is for my first marathon (I will be 42 by the time of the marathon) and if anyone could give advice on training. Given I have 30 odd weeks to go I obviously have plenty of time so it is probably way too early to be looking at a dedicated training plan as these seem to usually cover around 16 weeks.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by markavfc40

There are obviously a lot of good experienced runners on VT so I would like a little help/advice.

I have entered my first marathon. The Greater Manchester marathon next April. I currently run between 3 and 4 times a week and each run for between 8 – 12 miles. At these distances I can pretty comfortably overall average around 8:20 – 8:30min/mile pace and I have been running pretty consistently 3-4 times a week for the last 2 years or so.

I have though never ran further than a half marathon. I would like to do a time of under 4 hours for the marathon and wanted to know how realistic this is for my first marathon (I will be 42 by the time of the marathon) and if anyone could give advice on training. Given I have 30 odd weeks to go I obviously have plenty of time so it is probably way too early to be looking at a dedicated training plan as these seem to usually cover around 16 weeks.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Not a lot to say apart from if you train, you'll do it fairly comfortably.

When you run during the week on shorter runs, really push yourself. Aim to do 4 miles in under 30 mins.

Pick a training plan and follow it. Don't skip those long runs though, you need the last 5 LSRs before the Marathon to add up to 100 miles.

Question is, can you do a HM in 1:45? If you can do that before the end of the Marathon training (which you will, easily) then yes, you'll do it in under 4 hours.

Do you do Parkrun? That's a great way of chasing that speed. Is there anything that would stop you getting faster, i.e. are you carrying some excess weight, any physical problems etc?

• Like 2

Cheers for the reply Darren. I actually registered for the park run ages ago but have never done one even though the one in Walsall is only a couple of miles from where I live. Given what you have said I will certainly start going now.

Not really carrying any excess weight possibly 4 or 5 pounds not anything that would make a difference. I do weight train 3-4 times a week as well but am not bulky so wouldn't think that would have an effect on my running.

You know of any training plans that you would recommend and could point me in the direction of?

Have you ever done the Manchester marathon? It is supposed to be extremely flat which should hopefully help in me achieving my goal of under 4 hours.

I went into the city and picked up my race number today for the City to Bay run in Adelaide on Sunday. Getting excited now! Only 12km, but it will be my first running race over anything longer than 200m since I was about 15.

Aiming for 1:05 or less, but if I feel really good on the morning i'll be shooting for under an hour. The event is quite well attended with crowds etc, so hopefully the event will spur me on a bit!

After that, i've registered for a half marathon on October 11th. Any tips on training for that? I'm currently running 3-4 times a week, split about half and half between 5km and 10km runs. I did 13km on Tuesday and 5km yesterday, because I want to be fresh for the run on Sunday. After that run, i'll have 3 weeks of training left. Planning on lengthening one of my 10kms to a 15km run a week after the City to Bay, and 20km the week after that, giving me a week until the race. Does that sound about right? Any other training advice?

I don't want any special time, i'll just be very happy to finish, but based on the pace i'm running i'd expect it to be about 2:15 or so.

Cheers for the reply Darren. I actually registered for the park run ages ago but have never done one even though the one in Walsall is only a couple of miles from where I live. Given what you have said I will certainly start going now.

Not really carrying any excess weight possibly 4 or 5 pounds not anything that would make a difference. I do weight train 3-4 times a week as well but am not bulky so wouldn't think that would have an effect on my running.

You know of any training plans that you would recommend and could point me in the direction of?

Have you ever done the Manchester marathon? It is supposed to be extremely flat which should hopefully help in me achieving my goal of under 4 hours.

Sorry, missed this. Walsall Parkrun is meant to be lovely in the arboretum. Do it! You'll crave the PBs and push yourself harder, and you'll meet people doing the exact same thing as you which will spur you on. It also helps you get used to knowing what paces do what times etc. I know now without thinking about it that I need to run 6.25 / mile for a 20 minute 5k/Parkrun or 40 minute 10k. Which means that'd get me a 1:20ish half marathon. 6.45 / mile is a 21 minute 5k so 42 minute 10k etc. To get a 3:45 Marathon you'll be looking at 8.35 / mile so being at ease with knowing your pace is vital. Incidentally, if you haven't got one, a Garmin watch is priceless. Anything from a Forerunner 10 is fine.

My training plan for London was this:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk0csJenKUyNF9ibGt4WDl1WHc/view?usp=sharing it should work for you, just transpose the dates.

Manchester and Berlin are meant to be great for being flat, but London is also slightly down hill and I still flopped after half way (combination of missing too many LSRs, hard day around the expo the day before, incorrect fuelling strategy etc). So it's all in the preparation, know what you're wearing, eating, drinking, pacing, resting before, etc. and you'll do great.

• Like 1

Â