Running

trimandson

Ran 3:06:47 at Twin Cities on Sunday. My original goal was 3:03, which I bullishly dismissed and decided to go all out for sub3. I was on course until about 20m when things started getting sticky. This proceeded towards a horribly gruesome final 2 miles for a +7min positive split. Fun times... 

Me at London but mine was just slower. It wasn't the wall or anything, I just wasn't right on the day. Tried to go for 3:15, slowing down gradually from 13 onwards, cramp started at 20, leaving a horrible last 6 miles and a final time of 3:33.

Well done on the time, that's still excellent. Depending on your age would get you a GFA place for London if you fancied the journey.

Ran 3:06:47 at Twin Cities on Sunday. My original goal was 3:03, which I bullishly dismissed and decided to go all out for sub3. I was on course until about 20m when things started getting sticky. This proceeded towards a horribly gruesome final 2 miles for a +7min positive split. Fun times... 

Me at London but mine was just slower. It wasn't the wall or anything, I just wasn't right on the day. Tried to go for 3:15, slowing down gradually from 13 onwards, cramp started at 20, leaving a horrible last 6 miles and a final time of 3:33.

Well done on the time, that's still excellent. Depending on your age would get you a GFA place for London if you fancied the journey.

Ya, I had horrible stomach cramps mid way through after having a gel, which came out of no where (been using same gel brand for last 18 months). There's simply no experience quite like a marathon death march. 

But, I'm ok with blowing up a little here as it's a good base line. My plan is to have another go in the spring at sub3 and then that should do for Boston etc. (34yr/3:05 at the mo, actually ~3:02:30 was required this year). Doing mega-marathons further afield is something I've thought about, but quali can be difficult, e.g., 2:45 for Berlin, UK resident for London. Defo something to investigate down the road.

I ran my first half marathon this morning, went out really slow and ended up getting home in 2.14. Glacial, but something to build off of. I didn't stop or have to walk for any of it which was my main aim.

Legs are a bit sore, but very happy to have it finished :)

2.14 is by no means glacial (just because some on hear are bloody greased lightening, don't compare yourself to that lot!)

A great start and sounds like you're already planning for the next one :)

• Like 4

That's a cracking time, well done!

Edited by SteveMac

I ran my first half marathon this morning, went out really slow and ended up getting home in 2.14. Glacial, but something to build off of. I didn't stop or have to walk for any of it which was my main aim.

Legs are a bit sore, but very happy to have it finished :)

That's a good time for your first half, well done!

• Like 1

Who else was at the Birmingham half today? 

Managed a 1:58:17 which I was delighted with given I've barely trained. Great support all the way around from all sections of the community which was great to see. 

Yeah I was there, surprisingly managed a PB, albeit 6 seconds, but wasn't expecting it as it's not really a fast course IMO. Yeah really well supported, just like last year, good to see so many turn out to cheer the runners on.

Good time you ran too, especially if you didn't train much!!

Tired of being a fat bastard, I've taken up running, well sort of.  I'm half way through the Couch to 5K app, and it's getting easier.  Nowhere near any sort of distance running yet, but everybody has to start somewhere I guess.

One day, you'll finish a run and go '**** me I've just run 3 miles non stop' and from there on you'll get the bug forever

• Like 3

Tired of being a fat bastard, I've taken up running, well sort of.  I'm half way through the Couch to 5K app, and it's getting easier.  Nowhere near any sort of distance running yet, but everybody has to start somewhere I guess.

One day, you'll finish a run and go '**** me I've just run 3 miles non stop' and from there on you'll get the bug forever

That's the idea.  The app is really good, as it starts at a very basic level where in week 1, you run for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds, and repeat about 7 times.  I was so unfit it nearly killed me and my legs were very painful.  I'm just about to finish week 5 and it's a solid 20 minute run tonight, which a month ago I couldn't even have contemplated.  I've lost over a stone in that time,and feel great.  It's pissing it down tonight and blowing a gale, but I'm off to to do it shortly.  Even passed up a few pints in the pub.

That's the idea.  The app is really good, as it starts at a very basic level where in week 1, you run for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds, and repeat about 7 times.  I was so unfit it nearly killed me and my legs were very painful.  I'm just about to finish week 5 and it's a solid 20 minute run tonight, which a month ago I couldn't even have contemplated.  I've lost over a stone in that time,and feel great.  It's pissing it down tonight and blowing a gale, but I'm off to to do it shortly.  Even passed up a few pints in the pub.

It's got ya Risso it's got ya!

This thread is great inspiration. Did my run last night and am walking like the tinman this morning. Did it though, which was the main thing.

Good on you, the more regular you do it, feeling like that the following morning will be a thing of the past.

Haven't been stiff from running in years... until i did a marathon (plug)

Take it easy don't get excited and start running every day, its very rare you can run every day on concrete and not get injured; unless your a pro.

• Like 1

Â