Running

trimandson

On 15/03/2021 at 22:52, Risso said:

Definitely do that. Shorter strides, higher cadence. 

Did a run from a previous weeks schedule last night.   Knees feel fine although I've purchased a pair of Patella tendon straps which I wore so maybe they have helped.  I'll do another run tomorrow, maybe a run from the current weeks programme and see how it feels. 

Also purchased a pair of gel insoles which in theory will reduce a bit of impact when running too.  Willing to try anything because I think I've got the bug 😁

• Like 3

On 15/03/2021 at 18:04, KenjiOgiwara said:

Same distance. I normally run 4 km. Hit some monkey bars in the park for 30 min, then run another 4 km. Don't mix it up too much. I dunno what went wrong. 

Have you done another run since? If so how did it go?

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Did a run from a previous weeks schedule last night.   Knees feel fine although I've purchased a pair of Patella tendon straps which I wore so maybe they have helped.  I'll do another run tomorrow, maybe a run from the current weeks programme and see how it feels. 

Also purchased a pair of gel insoles which in theory will reduce a bit of impact when running too.  Willing to try anything because I think I've got the bug 😁

Good to hear! For what’s it worth I was coming back with injuries and soreness nearly every run when I started and I didn’t consider myself doing anything out of the ordinary. Now it just feels as if my body has adjusted. Keep it up, there is absolutely nothing better in seeing and feeling yourself improve. 

Edited by MCU
  • Thanks 1

Think I may have psyched myself out of next weeks 3rd run.  Its a 20 min run.  I've just done 3 min run, 90 sec walk, 5 min run, 2.5 min walk,  3 min run , 90 sec walk then 5 min run.  The last run felt hard so how the hell am I going to manage 20 mins 🤣

• Like 1

First run today in 8 weeks following a bout of plantar fasciitis in my right foot.

did 5k this morning in the cold and legs sore already and know I’ll be stiff in the morning (cue Kenneth Williams!).

Was a slow plod (33 mins) but happy with it all thing’s considering. 

Will rest tomorrow and run again Wednesday. 

• Like 3

Just now, theboyangel said:

First run today in 8 weeks following a bout of plantar fasciitis in my right foot.

did 5k this morning in the cold and legs sore already and know I’ll be stiff in the morning (cue Kenneth Williams!).

Was a slow plod (33 mins) but happy with it all thing’s considering. 

Will rest tomorrow and run again Wednesday. 

Nice going buddy - be happy when I can manage 5k.  How long have you been running for?

Just now, dubbs said:

Nice going buddy - be happy when I can manage 5k.  How long have you been running for?

On and off a couple of years. Ever since my back prevented me from playing football (oh the joys of being mid 40s!) 

I really don’t enjoy it but needs to be done to keep my expanding waist line in check 😂

I will aim to slowly build up to 10k once a week but cannot be done with running further/longer - it just bores me silly! 

Keep going though Dubbs!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

On and off a couple of years. Ever since my back prevented me from playing football (oh the joys of being mid 40s!) 

I really don’t enjoy it but needs to be done to keep my expanding waist line in check 😂

I will aim to slowly build up to 10k once a week but cannot be done with running further/longer - it just bores me silly! 

Keep going though Dubbs!  

10k would be a fantastic achievement mate.  I'm mid 40s too and my waistline was expanding especially during lockdown. That's one of the reasons I started the couch to 5k. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

Think I may have psyched myself out of next weeks 3rd run.  Its a 20 min run.  I've just done 3 min run, 90 sec walk, 5 min run, 2.5 min walk,  3 min run , 90 sec walk then 5 min run.  The last run felt hard so how the hell am I going to manage 20 mins 🤣

My wife started couch to 5k a few weeks back and I’ve been going with her as she didn’t want to do it alone (I’ve been running for a few years, but not so much recently).

It seems we’re at exactly the same point as you though. I was quite shocked when she told me it was a 20 minute non-stop run next week, it seems like quite the jump!

I’m sure you can do it though mate, you’ve come this far. Just keep it at a steady, comfortable pace and you’ll smash it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My wife started couch to 5k a few weeks back and I’ve been going with her as she didn’t want to do it alone (I’ve been running for a few years, but not so much recently).

It seems we’re at exactly the same point as you though. I was quite shocked when she told me it was a 20 minute non-stop run next week, it seems like quite the jump!

I’m sure you can do it though mate, you’ve come this far. Just keep it at a steady, comfortable pace and you’ll smash it.

Well there's only one way to find out!   Each run in this week builds up longer runs from the previous one.  Confidence comes after each run is completed. 

• Like 2

I remember doing the couch to 5k plan, and that sudden "mountain" of continuous running for 20 mins!.....the plan prepares you for it though, and the sense of achievement at the end of it is great.

Keep at the plan, its worked for loads of people.

When I finished it I said I am now going to do it in reverse i.e. start from 5k and reduce my runs until I become a couch potato again!

Currently doing about 3 off 5km runs a week and sometimes 10km...at the grand old age of nearly 63.......once Park run starts up again you can do that!

Good luck and keep at it...

Regards

Derek

• Like 4

On 22/03/2021 at 23:51, Paddywhack said:

My wife started couch to 5k a few weeks back and I’ve been going with her as she didn’t want to do it alone.

Well my wife broke her toe yesterday and is struggling to walk, let alone run.

I keep winding her up and asking if she did it on purpose to avoid the 20 minute run.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Well my wife broke her toe yesterday and is struggling to walk, let alone run.

I keep winding her up and asking if she did it on purpose to avoid the 20 minute run.

Didn't think of trying that 🤣.  In all seriousness I hope she's up and running (literally) soon mate. 

I've just done the 2 x 8 min runs and found out more comfortable than the 3 x 5 mins.  The 20 minuter is next....

• Like 2

On 26/03/2021 at 15:33, El Zen said:

Jut did a full 20k for the first time in probably 10 years. Got in at 1h59m30sec, which is probably my fastest full 20k ever as well. I’ll never be super fast, but at least it’s a fair indication I probably don’t have covid 😬

My Polar Flow app rated this a 52 on its run index, btw, which I felt was a little low compared to previous scores. Today I did 3,7k in 20m30s, and felt like crap. The score? 53. What a load of bollocks. 

44 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Just completed the 20 min run.  Tried going out earlier tonight and as soon as I started walking my knee hurt.  Came back, put an ice pack on it for 20 mins.  Really felt up for trying the 20 minute run so went out again.   I'd say it was both physically and mentally challenging but the sense of achievement after doing it was unbelievable!  Back on with the ice pack,  then into the shower.  Fat boy has caught the bug!

Brilliant. well done, that's superb! Genuinely chuffed for you.

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2021 at 23:27, dubbs said:

I've got some trainers similar to Air which should take some ìmpact away.  I've had knee aches since I was a child but nothing like this.  I'm 14 stone which I don't think is overly rotund!  Ibruprofen might work,  trying them tonight.  Really need to find something which works for me cuz I don't want to give up. 

If you have a snow and rock near you they have a treadmill where they film you running , they will record you and  pinpoint your running style and offer somer advice.

for people with knee problems they might suggest Hoka Clifton trainers. I’d never heard of them but tried them in the shop and they are simple the best running trainers I’ve ever owned ,before I switched to these I would get a knee discomfort and quite often pull up with a sharp pain , since having these I’ve not had that problem at all .

That said my brother tried them one time and didn’t get on with them so it could very much come down to personal preference , hence why a shop that offers a treadmill try out is worth a visit 

BBFB185A-676D-4ADC-852F-926E317998BD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Â